Board Member: Outside Director (Acquired by MariaDB) @ Clustrix, Inc.
Venture Capital Program @
I have worked as an executive, board member, investor and adviser. I am a 24x7 strategist with a strong technical and operations background who is well connected and has done game changing deals with some of the biggest tech players on the planet. I have been a key player in acquisitions on both the buy and sell
I have worked as an executive, board member, investor and adviser. I am a 24x7 strategist with a strong technical and operations background who is well connected and has done game changing deals with some of the biggest tech players on the planet. I have been a key player in acquisitions on both the buy and sell side and have been involved in building businesses in hybrid-cloud, IaaS, SaaS, PaaS, DevOps, enterprise software and security.
I enjoy business development and strategic partnerships and know how to find, build and maintain connections with the right players and make things happen. I have a strong understanding of the operating levers of businesses large and small and how to triangulate on what matters. I worked my way up through the technical ranks starting in operations moving into engineering, CTO/CSO roles and have built and run large global engineering and R&D teams in the US, China, India and Japan.
Most recently I was responsible for the strategy and vision of the CSC/ServiceMesh Agility Platform and contributing to IT transformation at Global 2000 enterprises. I have been a key contributor to the emerging enterprise Cloud operating model for over a decade.
Prior to ServiceMesh I was a founding managing director at EMC Ventures where we drove strategic investments in cloud, big data/analytics, software defined data center and security.
• Winner of the Always On 2012 Power Players in the Cloud award
• Graduate of Harvard Business School
• Managing all levels of the organization – up, down, across and out
• Leading teams through change and business transformations
Specialties: General Management, Corporate Strategy, Business Development, Venture Capital Investment, M&A, Negotiation, Competitive Analysis, Building/Leading International teams (China/India/Japan), Strategic Partnerships, Software Development/Engineering/R&D/Innovation Management, Hybrid-Cloud, IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, DevOps, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), Virtualization
President Software / CTO @ Responsible for Building Unified's SaaS Business. Leading: Marketing, Sales, Product Management, Software Engineering, Data Science and DevOps and working closely with Corp/Bus Development on Venture Financing and Strategic Partnerships. From October 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) San Francisco Bay AreaAdvisory Board Member @ From April 2014 to Present (1 year 9 months) San Francisco Bay AreaBoard Advisor @ From October 2014 to August 2015 (11 months) Advisory Board Member @ From August 2014 to April 2015 (9 months) Advisory Board Member @ From June 2012 to August 2014 (2 years 3 months) Chief Technology Officer @ Acquired by Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) in November 2013, ServiceMesh was a global provider of enterprise software and services that helped Global 2000 organizations realize a Cloud operating model. We built and sold a hybrid Cloud and DevOps management platform that enabled enterprises to automate the deployment, management, and governance of applications and platforms across public, private, and hybrid clouds. Our solutions changed the way enterprises acquired, operated and delivered IT infrastructure and services enabling business agility and reducing time to value.
Responsible for the vision, strategy and delivery of the Agility hybrid cloud management platform. Cross-functional role helping to lead: Revenue Growth, Engineering, Product Management, Sales, Marketing, Business Development, Strategic Partnerships and Customer Satisfaction.
- Evangelist, public speaker at industry events and for media and analyst coverage
- Sales & business development
- Strategic & competitive positioning
- Built, drove and maintained strategic partner relationships with (AMZN, MSFT, GOOG, VMW, EMC, Pivotal Labs, CSCO, HP, CTXS, DELL, RHAT, RAX, ATT, Savvis, Canonical, Mirantis)
- Product strategy
- Scalability, availability and performance of distributed-systems
- Intellectual property strategy
- Open source strategy From January 2013 to April 2014 (1 year 4 months) Board Advisor @ From January 2013 to April 2014 (1 year 4 months) Managing Director @ Member of founding team, reporting into the Chief Strategy Officer, we looked to make capital placements to gain insight into strategic markets of interest for EMC. We are making investments in Big Data/Analytics, Cloud, Virtualization, Security & Information mgt startups.
Responsible for managing all operating aspects of EMC’s strategic investment portfolio, maintaining relationships with business stakeholders, portfolio companies, Venture investment firms and business partners. With a strong focus on technology/business models with the potential to disrupt/transform the industry. We sought out and invested in private companies gaining insight and access for EMC. Ultimately responsible for working closely with the Investment management board and executive staff to ensure the operational success of EMC’s Strategic investment practice, its portfolio companies, de-risking investments and providing an appropriate strategic and financial return.
• Deal Sourcing - Identify, evaluate, qualify and secure interest from companies who are seeking capital
• Due Diligence - Research markets, management, products/services, strategic impact to EMC.
• Negotiation - Investment terms, Letter of intent, term sheet, investment agreement, MOU’s, etc. with company owners, management and other investors
• Corporate Governance - Participate in BoD-meetings, maintain close working relationships, advice and assist management of portfolio companies, balancing interest of stakeholders-investors/shareholders, management/staff
• Portfolio/Return Management - Work with the portfolio company’s management to keep strategic and financial objectives in view and within the time frame agreed between investors and management; facilitate exit opportunities that maximize these returns. (Sale, IPO, merger, alliances)
• Reporting - Quarterly/Annually report on, operations, deal-flow, portfolio updates and performance From December 2010 to January 2013 (2 years 2 months) Senior Director Advanced Technology Ventures, Office of the CTO @ Reporting into EMC's CTO/SVP, helped define, steer and communicate the long-term technical strategy. Defining and influencing target markets, key technologies, strategic partnerships, investments and acquisitions designed to optimize EMC’s path to strategy realization. EMC’s CTO Office is responsible for setting the technology foundation for sustained competitive vitality and differentiation. EMC maintain a keen focus on cross-business unit integration and organic growth via incubation of emerging technology and business models.
Responsibilities include: Identification, evaluation and development of opportunities to accelerate EMC’s growth, high-leverage incubations, strategic investments, M&A, VC community collaboration, partner-based technology integrations and the leverage of acquired/emerging technologies to foster and drive innovation for EMC.
• Built and managed distributed research and engineering teams in Ma, NY, Ca, Shanghai, Beijing, Bangalore
• Member of key leadership teams: Strategic Planning Advisory Council, CTO-Advisory Council, CTO-Council, Industry Technical Advisory Council, Intellectual Property/Patent Committee.
• Sponsor University Research Collaborations: MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, Fudan University, Beijing University From January 2006 to January 2011 (5 years 1 month) Board of Directors and Chairman of the Technical Steering Committee @ Founding member, on Board of Directors and Chairman of the Technical Steering Committee. The Enterprise Grid Alliance (EGA), was a consortium formed to develop enterprise grid solutions and accelerate the deployment of grid computing in enterprises. The initial EGA Board included EMC, Fujitsu Siemens Computers, HP, Intel, NEC, Network Appliance, Oracle and Sun Microsystems. The EGA was an open, independent and vendor-neutral community addressing the near-term requirements for deploying commercial applications in a grid environment. The Alliance focused on obstacles that organizations faced using enterprise grids, by looking at best practices and solutions which were open and interoperable. From 2005 to 2007 (2 years) Director of Partner Engineering, Global Technology Alliances @ Developed and executed EMC’s Global Technology Alliances Partner Strategy managing key partnerships: Oracle, SAP, Microsoft, Cisco, Sun, MySQL, Sybase, and Brocade.
• Strategic Planning: Developed the goals and objectives for partnerships consistent with corporate strategy; aligned technology, marketing and services activities against those goals
• Program Management: Managed internal and external partner programs, coordinated internal resources and communication, and managed to cross-functional and inter-company program goals
• Partner Marketing: Developed and executed joint partner marketing and MDF investments, aligning partner activities with corporate strategy, and managing communication across the broad partnership community. Developed and delivered presentations at industry conferences and events
• Partner Enablement and Services: Coordination of partner training, go-to-market planning and channel management
• Relationship management: develop and maintained strong working relationships with engineers and executives at key EMC partners.
• Engineering Engagements: Managed geographically distributed team, developed and executed on strategic business plans, Identified, scoped and delivered strategic partner integrations (hardware, software, and services) and delivered leading edge solutions
• Managed distributed engineering and technical marketing teams spanning Ca, Ma, NY, Japan, China From July 2001 to January 2006 (4 years 7 months) Automated Operations Architect - Systems Engineering @ Systems Engineer on a team of six responsible for designing, deploying and managing Loudcloud's Automated Operations environment. Responsible for automating all aspects of system administration (machine builds, ongoing maintenance, configuration changes, software/package management, problem detection/resolution), creating design specifications for new product offerings and integrating new hardware software offerings into our automation back-end. All infrastructure applied to a geographically disperse, 5000+ node network consisting of Sun/Solaris, Linux and WNT/W2K machines to support 100% scheduled uptime in an ultra-scalable, high security infrastructure spanning 5 global datacenters
Architected and deployed enterprise wide Bastion Hosts for secure compartment access. RSA/LDAP integration, Squid Proxies, CDN, Web Caching and built and maintained extensive Storage Area Networks using EMC Symmetrix storage arrays, Clariion storage arrays and Brocade fabrics. Other duties include mentoring, technical presentations and technical escalation support. Joined < 50 employees stayed on through IPO. From August 1999 to July 2001 (2 years) Systems/Network Operations Engineer @ Responsible for design, build-out and support of production network operations environment supporting 1000+ production systems, front-line escalations in Solaris UNIX, NT, Cisco IOS, CSU/DSU, WAN/ATM circuits, web server administration, syslog servers, perimeter and core security and monitoring. Fast paced, high tech environment, built out and supported 4 Data Centers (Honolulu, Tokyo, Hong Kong, London) for Premier Managed Service/Hosting Provider.
Worked as a member of a team which designed and implemented a 5000+ host CDN network to forward deploy customer content to numerous locations across the globe while transparently caching and intelligently redirecting customers to the closest geographic location saving bandwidth and providing faster content. Joined < 30 employees stayed on through IPO. From 1997 to August 1999 (2 years) Submersible Pilot @ Pilot for tourist submarines tours in Honolulu Hawaii; Coast Guard Certified100-Ton Boat Captains license holder with Submersible Endorsement. Primary function was to monitor and control atmosphere, communications, and navigation and served as back up pilot for submersible carrying 60+ passengers > 100Ft Deep for 45min submarine tours off of Waikiki. From 1996 to 1997 (1 year) Co-Founder @ Founded Internet solutions consulting company. Architected, developed and supported Internet presence solutions using Linux /Apache or Windows platforms. From 1994 to 1997 (3 years)
GMP @ Harvard Business School From 2010 to 2010 Venture Capital Program @ University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business Shawn Douglass is skilled in: Cloud Computing, SaaS, Enterprise Software, Strategic Partnerships, Start-ups, Strategy, Business Development, Virtualization, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Venture Capital, Go-to-market Strategy, New Business Development, OpenStack, Integration, Competitive Analysis
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension