BS, Chemical Engineering @
University of Pittsburgh
Business leader with a proven track record of developing and implementing strategies to profitably grow specialty businesses. Experience in full P&L accountability and direct management of marketing & sales, business development, operations, HSEQ, R&D, procurement, accounting & controlling, and human resources. Well-balanced approach to management that utilizes experience and best practices from smaller, independent legal entity as
Business leader with a proven track record of developing and implementing strategies to profitably grow specialty businesses. Experience in full P&L accountability and direct management of marketing & sales, business development, operations, HSEQ, R&D, procurement, accounting & controlling, and human resources. Well-balanced approach to management that utilizes experience and best practices from smaller, independent legal entity as well as larger, multinational corporate environments. Extensive international experience. Fluent in German technical and business language. Areas of expertise include multifunctional management, strategic planning & execution, mergers & acquisitions, business restructuring, commercial operations, new product commercialization, channel to market strategies, operational efficiency, performance management, and visionary leadership.
President & CEO @ Precise Packaging LLC is a leading manufacturer of aerosol and pump spray products with expertise in product development/formulation, compounding, filling and packaging solutions. The Company is known for its unique expertise in miniature (6 oz. or less) aerosol and pump products, coupled with a reputation for relentless attention to quality and customer support.
Precise Packaging’s products include room sprays, fragrance oils, aerosol foams, makeup mousse foundations, deodorants, perfumes/colognes, fine fragrances and other solutions used in personal care, health & beauty, OTC and household markets. The Company offers everything from contract filling/packaging to turnkey services, including initial laboratory formulation and material sourcing, through production, filling, quality check, packaging and delivery.
Precise Packaging, Inc. was acquired by Trive Capital, a Dallas, TX based private equity firm in December 2012.
www.precisepackaging.com From August 2014 to Present (1 year 5 months) Managing Director, Specialty Films - North America @ Full general management responsibility for the specialty films business of Bayer MaterialScience LLC in the North American region, which includes thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU), polycarbonate (PC) and other specialty films. Full scope responsibility including marketing & sales, business development, product management, new product development, operations, HSEQ, supply chain management, controlling, and human resources. Leading organization through significant changes aimed at increasing market differentiation and improving operational efficiencies while maintaining a profitable growth trajectory. Key achievements include:
• Profitable growth in existing and new market segments, including medical, automotive and identification card segments
• Integration of PC Films business with subsequent organizational restructuring and consolidation of production sites
• Development and implementation of a new operations and sales strategy
• Expansion of product development and production capabilities
• Restructuring of the business team for improved operational efficiency and support of future growth From January 2010 to August 2014 (4 years 8 months) President & CEO @ Full management and P&L responsibility of Deerfield Urethane Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bayer MaterialScience LLC focused on the development, manufacturing and sale of thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) film. Full scope general management responsibility including marketing & sales, business development, R&D, operations, engineering, HSEQ, procurement, accounting & controlling, and human resources. Presented business performance metrics, overall business strategy and growth plans (incl. organic and external M&A growth options) to Board of Directors. Worked with Board Members to assure alignment and gain support of strategic objectives/plans. Key achievements:
• Profitable growth in existing and new market segments
• Established an entrepreneurial, results-oriented culture with clearly defined goals & objectives - ensured alignment within organization
• Reorganized commercial team and implemented new channel to market for future growth, recruiting successful leaders for key functions
• Implemented restructuring measures in manufacturing to ensure long-term competitiveness
• Led company through 2008/9 economic downturn, outperforming comparable businesses and delivering positive financial results each month despite significant reductions in volume. Proactive cost contingency measures implemented to maintain margins.
• Investments in people and new equipment/technology to support growth opportunities in key segments
• Proactively led business through significant change resulting from a consolidation of the legal entity into Bayer MaterialScience LLC on Jan. 1, 2010 From September 2007 to December 2009 (2 years 4 months) Head of Portfolio Development / Mergers & Acquisitions @ Responsible for the execution and lead of mergers & acquisitions (M&A) activities / processes (acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures (JVs)) within the global Bayer MaterialScience (BMS) organization in cooperation with Bayer Holding M&A group. Typical deal volumes in the $10-150 MM range. Key duties:
• Assumed global leadership of the BMS M&A team, consisting of five M&A project managers in 3 regions (APAC, EMEA & NAFTA), in Q4-2006
• Management/lead of M&A process including valuation, due diligence, negotiations and coordination with external consultants
• Coordination of carve-out activities for divestitures/JVs together with respective business unit, including preparation/review of sell-side business case and coaching/preparation of management team
• Target evaluation and purchase price recommendations to BMS Board
Key transactions experience: Project and M&A Lead for the acquisition of Uretech, one of the largest TPU resin suppliers in Greater China (transaction closed in 2007); M&A Co-Lead for the divestiture of the global Hennecke Machinery Group (transaction closed in 2007); BMS M&A Lead for various JV projects, including the global JV with Baulè SAS, France (transaction closed in 2008). From February 2005 to September 2007 (2 years 8 months) Market Segment Manager, Emerging Markets - NAFTA in Polyurethanes Division @ Responsible for the execution and lead of marketing and business development programs for emerging market segments within the Polyurethanes (PU) Specialties business area. Developed and implemented strategic business plans. Directed new product development activities for assigned business areas. Proactively contributed to the development of a new project and project portfolio management system. Supported development of a forward integration PU System House strategy for North America. Led team in development of a comprehensive make-or-buy prepolymer strategy. Proposed and supported negotiations for a Joint Venture in the area of Optically Clear PU Elastomers. From July 2002 to February 2005 (2 years 8 months) Business Planning & Administration @ Direct support of the Bayer Process Technology Division Head in the planning and execution of process technology related R&D activities, planning and controlling of strategic R&D projects (total R&D project budget of ~$30 MM), internal technology exchange, and coordination of external research collaborations and university contacts. Secretary of the Global Technology Committee. From November 2000 to July 2002 (1 year 9 months) Senior R&D Engineer in Reaction Engineering & Mixing Technology Group @ Responsible for the proposal, acquisition and execution of process development / optimization and plant support projects, including the design and optimization of chemical reactors via dynamic simulation. From May 1998 to November 2000 (2 years 7 months)
PhD, Chemical Engineering @ Lehigh University From 1993 to 1998 BS, Chemical Engineering @ University of Pittsburgh From 1988 to 1992 Shaun Gaus is skilled in: P&L Management, Leadership, Manufacturing, Business Strategy, Strategic Planning, Mergers & Acquisitions, Business Development, Market Development, Product Development, Business Planning, Marketing Strategy, Product Management, Strategy, Management, Mergers
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension