Marketing Lead - Retail Sales & Marketing (RSM) Division @ Microsoft Corporation
MSc (Master of Science), Management Science @
In September 2003, I earned MSc degrees both in Electronics Engineering & Computer Science and Management Sciences from the Leaders for Industry Program (LFI), Sabanci University, Istanbul, Turkey. This first and only dual degree program, inspired by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT),’s Leaders for Manufacturing Program - aims at contributing to the advancements in industry through educating
In September 2003, I earned MSc degrees both in Electronics Engineering & Computer Science and Management Sciences from the Leaders for Industry Program (LFI), Sabanci University, Istanbul, Turkey. This first and only dual degree program, inspired by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT),’s Leaders for Manufacturing Program - aims at contributing to the advancements in industry through educating young, highly qualified individuals and developing their technical and managerial capabilities in cooperation with the industry for becoming potential leaders in their work environment in industry.
In terms of my academic and professional achievements during the past ten years, I have shown initiative, creativity in problem solving, and commitment to building consensus and excellence in a variety of settings. I combined engineering and management skills I have gained from courses in Istanbul Technical University, Sabanci University and Istanbul Bilgi University with qualitative, quantitative and analytical trainings in high intensity environments of Apple, BlackBerry®, Microsoft, Turkcell Iletisim Hiz.A.S.
Business Development Manager @ • Strategic management of Education, Commercial Channel and Telecom Enterprise business within Apple Turkey.
• Responsible for designing and implementing marketing programmes, defining growth plans, analyzing performance metrics, and establishing tracking systems.
• Identifying the customer set and key accounts in country and engaging them in the demand generation programs in partnership with carriers and defining the level of engagement with customers - from customer briefing to technical assistance in pilots up to final implementation.
• Building and developing significant technical knowledge and expertise not only on Apple products and technologies but also for 3rd party solutions appropriate to the sector.
• Ensuring sales and technical readiness of channel and partners to deliver a best in class customer engagement experience for Education, B2B and Telco-B2B.
• Communicating and presenting Apple technologies to customers leveraging the broad-based technical expertise at the Apple Executive Briefing Centres.
• Coordinating with EMEIA Education, Commercial Channel and Telecom Business Development teams to feedback data on needs, customer issues, product features or improvement requests and reporting the degree of customer engagement, with detailed metrics on each end customer – including the technology adoption and opportunities within named accounts. From March 2014 to Present (1 year 9 months) Istanbul, TurkeyHead of Product Management - Turkey @ • Driving the launch of new products/services, successful in-life programs as well as managing activities involved with the end of life
• Responsible for communicating all BlackBerry products/services, and technology strategies and roadmaps to MNOs, distribution partners and key enterprise customers
• Intimate with the product strategies and plans of MNOs and work to influence the positioning and success of BlackBerry products and services within the MNOs' plans
• Primary point of contact within BlackBerry Product Marketing Management for MNOs
• Interfacing directly with the MNO partners on product requirements, portfolio and technology roadmaps, audience-,segment- and product marketing plans including Go-To-Market activities
• Leading and managing new technology implementation projects (i.e. NFC, BBM Payments, BBM Music, BlackBerry World Carrier Channels, Application Development Programs etc.) as the single point of contact for BlackBerry with various stakeholder groups at MNOs and key enterprise customers
• Supporting MNOs to ensure complete understanding of the BlackBerry product offerings and work closely with them creating an integrated product marketing and technology strategy which drives success in the enterprise and consumer markets today and tomorrow From July 2011 to March 2014 (2 years 9 months) Istanbul, TurkeyMarketing Lead - Retail Sales & Marketing (RSM) Division @ • Delivery of influential marketing campaigns, engaging and driving impactful retail programs with key partners, owning the marketing budget and planning process, and thus delivering top and bottom line results across Retail Sales & Marketing Division
• Driving and owning Integrated Marketing Plans and strategies including MarCom, Media, PR and Events, Online, CRM and Channel Marketing; left to right, for all categories within Retail Sales & Marketing – Hardware, Office, Office:Mac, and Windows
• Ownership of all marketing activities across managed retail accounts, Teknosa, Vatan, Bimeks, Gold, Mediamarkt, Electroworld, Darty, HepsiBurada.com, Best Buy
• 3 direct reports and all channel marketing teams (50) from multiple vendor agencies From October 2010 to July 2011 (10 months) Istanbul, TurkeyCategory Marketing Manager @ • Leadership to the retail marketing teams for Windows, Office and Office:Mac
• Responsible for creating, leading and executing marketing initiatives and campaigns in line with “Office at Retail” and “Windows at Retail” business strategies
• Directly accountable for driving country specific retail and partner marketing strategies for Office and Office:Mac products
• Managed retail launch of Windows 7 (Oct.2009-May.2010), Office:Mac 2011 and Office 2010 (Aug.2010-Oct.2010) From November 2008 to October 2010 (2 years) Istanbul, TurkeySenior Program Manager, Group Partnering Program Mgt @ • Ownership of the Turkcell Group Partner Program covering all Turkcell Group Companies including Turkcell, Tellcom, Turkcell Teknoloji, and subsidiaries – Life, KKTcell
• Leading the planning and development of group partnering strategy and alignment of partnering strategies across subsidiaries and business areas
• Ecosystem development and value chain engineering for new business areas
• Partner performance evaluation process design, KPI development and reporting
• Devising of loyalty and certification programs based on the needs of business areas
• Management of communication channels (i.e. partner portal, extranet, etc.) and events
• Planning, execution and management of business development and competency building programs including program budget and marketing funds From January 2008 to October 2008 (10 months) Istanbul, TurkeySenior Product Manager @ • turkcell-im Music Category Management including Full Track, Ring Tone, and Video products
• Product Management of Mobile Music and Video Download Services (Turkcell MobilMüzik & MobilVideo), Song Recognition Service (Ne Bu Çalan?), Music SMS Services (PowerClub Mobile, Müzik-Magazin, other 3rd Party services)
• Development and execution of marketing strategy of music products portfolio for digital and retail distribution channels to align the execution of retention and acquisition programs
• Fulfilment of product management KPIs through planning and execution of marketing activities for product portfolio incl. pricing, channel development, promotion and campaigns
• Coordination of marketing communications and channel management activities to achieve ROI and distinct user/consumer targets
• Planning of annual operations according to periodical revenue and cost reports
• Development of innovative product features (i.e., location-based event alert service and lyrics service for Muzik-Magazin SMS product)
• Development of new channels for product distribution (i.e. Jukebox implementation a.k.a. turkcell-im PUF! Meeting Points, awarded with Silver Medal in 2007 Magellan Awards by League of American Communications Professionals, USA)
• Planning, development and execution of content provisioning and annual content roadmap
• Improvement and implementation of quality control and increase studies, i.e. process development for updating content catalogue and preserving alignment to content roadmap From November 2005 to January 2008 (2 years 3 months) Istanbul, TurkeyProject Manager - Service Enabling Projects @ • Management of projects of various size and complexity to deliver new services and/or deploy new platforms
• Development of project plan and ensuring the project delivery in budget, on schedule, and within scope with the execution of Initiation, Planning, Execution, Control, Valuation, Closeout and Evaluation processes
• Securing the acceptance and approval of deliverables from the stakeholders including the project sponsor and execution of risk management activities including escalation of issues, that cannot be resolved in the team, to the steering committee
• Driving the translation of business requirements into technology requirements for inclusion in contracts and statements of work, preparation and presentation of HLD (high level design) document; negotiation of it with the vendor
• Execution of contracting processes between Turkcell and partner company/vendor (i.e., for content provisioning, ingestion, charging, and reporting)
• Evaluation of project team performance and dissemination of scorecards of project members to their functional managers From December 2004 to November 2005 (1 year) Istanbul, TurkeyPlatform Manager - Engineering and Planning @ • Responsible for Unified Msg., Voice Mail, Call Alert, IVR, CBC, Web Msg., WAP Push Proxy, MMS Proxy, SMS Proxy, POS Proxy Platforms
• Analysing current IT infrastructure and providing a strategic, phased approach in order to ensure optimization and identifying methods to detect performance levels of platforms
• Coordination and finalization of capacity planning and budgeting for infrastructure in line with the feasibility analyses developed on capacity upgrade expenses and feature development budgets for all current platforms, as well as project budgets for new platforms
• Evaluating functional business requirements and mapping them on technical capabilities of platforms and documenting technical analyses
• Development and signing off on acceptance criteria set according to the requirements of Business Groups with the coordination of RFP documentation and evaluation processes
• Identifying alternative solutions and suggestions driven from the latest technological developments and market trends to Operations and Development groups
• Ensuring business continuity by constituting recovery plans, availability solutions and proper hardware suggestions From September 2003 to December 2004 (1 year 4 months) Istanbul, TurkeyBusiness Analyst (Project and Business Development Department) @ • Local Multipoint Distribution System (LMDS) Project: Developed and analysed possible scenarios for telecommunications market after deregulation; worked with the Project and Business Development Dept. Manager, and the General Manager of the partner company, Bnet on development of feasibility study, vendor evaluation and selection processes
• Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) Project: Planned the fiber optic network infrastructure and prepared feasibility study From September 2002 to March 2003 (7 months) Istanbul, Turkey
PhD, Marketing & Organisation Studies, 3.59 / 4.00 @ İstanbul Bilgi Üniversitesi From 2003 to 2013 MSc (Master of Science), Management Science, 3.81 / 4.00 @ Sabanci University From 2001 to 2003 MSc (Master of Science), Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 3.81 / 4.00 @ Sabanci University From 2001 to 2003 BSc, Electrical Engineering and Communications, 3.45 / 4.00 @ Istanbul Technical University From 1997 to 2001 Sercan Uslu is skilled in: Product Management, Product Marketing, Telecommunications, Marketing Management, Business Strategy, Product Development, VAS, Marketing Strategy, Strategic Planning, Program Management, Competitive Analysis, Team Management, Business Intelligence, Marketing Communications, Team Leadership