Global Head, Employee Health Innovation Center of Excellence | Global Health Services @ Johnson & Johnson
Kaiser Permanente @
Division of Continuing Education - Professional Development @
A disciplined and high energy management professional with experiences in building and leading digital innovation and operation teams for Silicon Valley start-ups and Fortune 100s; digital health and digital insurance companies. Extensive experiences in innovation leadership and strategy; digital technologies and operations; FinTech and consulting to maximize value for business and ensure continuity of high quality service,
A disciplined and high energy management professional with experiences in building and leading digital innovation and operation teams for Silicon Valley start-ups and Fortune 100s; digital health and digital insurance companies. Extensive experiences in innovation leadership and strategy; digital technologies and operations; FinTech and consulting to maximize value for business and ensure continuity of high quality service, product delivery, and innovation development.
Responsible for various innovation accelerator programs. Served as the innovation technology leader for the Sidney R. Garfield Health Care Innovation Center in Silicon Valley and Center for Total Health in Washington DC, two of the nation’s most progressive health innovation centers dedicated in advancing health and technology innovation.
Global Director, Digital Innovation Enablement, Global Innovation and Digital Business Centers @ From November 2015 to Present (2 months) San Francisco Bay AreaHead of Health Data Program Accelerator, Data Solutions @ Digital is transforming consumer behavior and the way we think about and deliver insurance solutions. AIG’s mission is to provide innovative products and solutions to 80+ million customers in more than 100 counties. How well we utilize the massive influx of data from consumer and industrial IoTs, claims, underwriting, and other emerging and legacy data sources is critical to our success.
By systematically transforming our data ingestion, governance, and analytics capabilities, we're building the foundation to enable digital transformation. By encouraging active collaboration across functions and external innovation partners -- including vendors, start-ups, VCs, we hope to deliver new values and capabilities across the digital insurance product domains and consumer engagement lifecycles. From May 2015 to October 2015 (6 months) San Francisco Bay AreaDirector, Innovation and Advanced Technology, Digital Technologies and Operations @ How might digital services of the future become more meaningful, accessible, and actionable to people, communities and enterprises anywhere, anytime? As the founding member of the innovation technology services group for Kaiser Permanente, a $53 billion integrated health care delivery system, my current focus is to transfer and operationalize emerging technologies and innovative models that have the potential to advance Kaiser Permanente's strategic goals. I lead a technology group who is passionate about building a culture of innovation and translating the relevance of digital innovation to existing services and new competitive advantages.
• Led a creative technology team dedicated to blue-sky thinking and projects combining business and technical innovations. The team provided strategic visioning and technology solutioning on the use of affordable, unobtrusive, and motivational digital health solutions in the areas of: social, mobile, analytics, robotics, wearable, and Internet of Things (IoT) to improve consumer engagement and patient care.
• Deployed a diverse portfolio of digital health solutions which have successfully improved the quality, affordability, and accessibility of care in Kaiser Permanente hospitals, worksite clinics, and retail clinics. Managed Silicon Valley’s open innovation exchange program with VCs, startups, and strategic technology partners/vendors to foster technology transfer and strategic partnership.
• Guest blogger for Computerworld Magazine. Consultant for the Body Metrics quantified health exhibit at the Tech Museum of Innovation in Silicon Valley. Contributor to the Kaiser Permanente, Rock Health, and StartUp Health accelerator partnership programs. Advisor for Center for Health Care Strategies (CHCS) innovation challenge program. From April 2011 to May 2015 (4 years 2 months) Senior Technology Manager, Sidney R. Garfield Health Care Innovation Center @ Digital innovation is a way of life at the Garfield Center. Technology innovation at the Center is about uncovering a new insight, developing a new capability or recognizing how to take advantage of the opportunities created by new discoveries or disruptive innovation. The 37,000 square foot stand-alone center features care delivery simulation environments hosting specialized digital health equipment, open innovation space, and an innovation lab. Innovation projects at the Center are organized in short ‘sprints’ designed to determine success or failure quickly. The Center has played host to more than 50,000 innovators from more than 50 countries.
• Incubated and advanced early-state digital health innovation, including mHealth, smart sensors, 3-D printing, virtual agents and avatars, robotics, and telemedicine, by co-creating with clinicians, IT, digital health start-ups and vendors to accelerate cutting edge technologies into healthcare solutions.
• Developed and operationalized an enterprise emerging technology evaluation program to transform the complex interdisciplinary process of technology landscaping and transfer. The program provided a comprehensive view and effective management of: intake, ideation, and pipeline management; vendor and competitive intelligence to accelerate emerging technologies evaluation and adoption.
• Member of Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) Healthcare Innovation Council. From September 2006 to March 2011 (4 years 7 months) Offshore Operations Manager / Program Manager @ • Implemented KP’s offshore operations strategy. Led a shared services team and provided centralized strategic sourcing service that focused on improving service quality and agility; delivering cost-effective technology solutions.
• Responsible for detailed analysis of offshore vendor service utilizations, service level quality, technology infrastructure, privacy protection, quality control processes, and information security measures as per business requirements. From October 2004 to September 2006 (2 years) Product Operations Manager @ Telephia served nearly every Mobile Operator and Mobile Virtual Network Operator in the US and Canada. Telephia metrics are the industry standard measure for most key competitive performance indicators including share of gross additions, customer satisfaction, service quality and Average Revenue Per User.
• Responsible for product operations of an advertising insights product which provided U.S. mobile service providers their advertising spend classified by carrier geographic location, brand, service offering and content type. From December 2003 to June 2004 (7 months) Senior Business Solutions Manager @ • Responsible for technical account management, relationship management, strategy alignment, business demand planning, and service delivery issue resolution for Fortune 500 and retail clients including Oracle, Levi Strauss, Ross Stores, and GE Capital. Increased customer retention through the recession of the early 2000’s. Monitored, measured, and ensured customer satisfaction and service quality in adherence to service level agreements to ensure strategic and service goal alignments.
• Delivered quality outsourced managed hosting and Infrastructure-as-a-Service solutions for Levi’s e-commerce site (levi.com) and Ross Store’s ross.com to lower capital / operational costs and achieve higher service uptime and customer satisfaction. Managed a mutli-disciplinary team to support Levi’s online interactive promotion in 2003’s NFL Super Bowl to drive online traffic and improve awareness of new products and features. From 1999 to 2003 (4 years) Project Manager @ From 1999 to 1999 (less than a year) IT Analyst @ From December 1995 to 1999 (4 years) System Analyst @ From 1994 to 1994 (less than a year)
MS, Engineering Management @ Santa Clara University From 1999 to 2001 BS, Computer Science @ California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo From 1993 to 1995 Sean Chai is skilled in: Digital Health, Emerging Technology Management, Innovation Management, Open Innovation, Healthcare Information Technology, Mobile Solutions, Product Operations, Offshore Management, Telehealth, Mobile Technology, Service Level Management, Service Delivery, Social Media, Management, Emerging Technologies
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension