IP Network Engineer @ Kansas City Power & Light
NTAC Technical Support Engineer - Packet Data Network Operations @
Results-oriented, self-motivated professional with excellent communication skills and a wide range of technical and leadership experience. Over 15 years of experience and skilled in Information Security, Cybersecurity, wireless and wired IP networks, (WAN/LAN) hardware/software, streamlining processes, customer service, employee training/supervision, and data collection and presentation. I am comfortable supporting advanced next-generation technologies and have been consistently promoted
Results-oriented, self-motivated professional with excellent communication skills and a wide range of technical and leadership experience. Over 15 years of experience and skilled in Information Security, Cybersecurity, wireless and wired IP networks, (WAN/LAN) hardware/software, streamlining processes, customer service, employee training/supervision, and data collection and presentation. I am comfortable supporting advanced next-generation technologies and have been consistently promoted to positions of increased responsibility. I hold a Bachelors of Science Degree in Technical Management.
I have worked in Federally regulated environments such as FDA for pharmaceuticals, meat processors, and NERC CIP v3 and v5 for the energy sector's electrical companies.
I have migrated data centers, merged company networks, and have experience with a variety of Cisco Routers and firewalls, Juniper routers and firewalls, F5 BigIP load balancer, Riverbed WAN Accelerator's, Bluecoat Proxies, and Aventail SSL VPN appliances.
Cisco ASR 9k, Nexus 7k, Cisco ASA, Juniper MX960 and Juniper SRX are examples of some of the hardware I have worked on.
Protocols: Cisco and Juniper OS (IOS, XR, Nexus-OS, Junos) and routing protocols (Spanning tree, (P)VLAN’s, HSRP, MP-BGP, OSPF, RIP, EIGRP, VoIP, Mobile IP, L2TPv3, MPLS/VPLS, VPN’s, IPSEC, SSL, ISIS, CLNS), Unix/Linux (Sun Solaris, Fedora Core, Ubuntu), Syslog, Cacti, Shell Scripting, C, Visual Basic and Assembly Language programming, HP Openview, Access 7, Clarify, Remedy, ORCAD, Microsoft Office, Visio
Specialties: Cyber Security and Routing/Switching
IP Network Engineer @ • Develop processes that are compliant with Federal NERC CIP regulations to ensure they are easy for auditors to access and understand.
• Work to remediate network elements to ensure they are compliant with CIP v3 security standards. Prepare the network and procedures to align with Federal CIPv 5 network security regulations.
• Design configurations for Cisco Nexus 7k’s, 6500’s, and 3750’s and installed sniffers to support these efforts. From August 2014 to Present (1 year 5 months) Kansas City, Missouri AreaResident Engineer for Sprint @ • Lead Juniper engineer responsible for Sprint’s NGWWAN (Next Generation Wireless WAN) design/architecture and build out involving Cisco ASR 9k’s, Nexus 7k’s, 6500’s, GSR’s, CRS’s, and Juniper MX960’s, M10i’s, and SRX firewall.
• Design configuration and migration strategy to migrate all of Sprint Wireless applications, MPLS VRF’s, and users the new core backbone. Utilized BGP BFD, NSF, NSR, and GR to reduce BGP convergence times.
• Coordinate IP network architecture design, configuration, installation, and maintenance activities.
• Migrate ~130 locations and 29 datacenters from OSPF to BGP and from 1 gig to 10 gig LAG core links.
• Manage 2-5 other engineers including onboarding, training and assigning tasks to ensure customer deadlines are met on time.
• Lead troubleshooting teams to resolve complex issues and automate procedures to make change documentation much easier to create on a site-by-site basis.
• Manage other Sprint vendors, trained them on the solutions being implemented, and worked with them on configurations and scheduling. From May 2012 to August 2014 (2 years 4 months) Owner @ • Manage 100+ GPU and ASIC mining farm located across several data centers in Kansas and Missouri.
• Designed/built mini shipping container data center.
• Ensure 30+ Linux servers had highest up-time possible and scripted programs to monitor, alert, and automatically resolve issues. From November 2011 to July 2014 (2 years 9 months) Kansas City, Missouri AreaSenior Network Engineer @ • Lead network engineer for data center migration. Designed redundant data center solutions and managed all network aspects of the migration across several platforms including Cisco 6500’s, ASA, FWSM, and PIX firewalls.
• Recognized internally, and by the customer, on the success/smoothness of the network design and migration process.
• Support the core network which consists of 15 (some FDA regulated) customers utilizing VRF/MPLS and several redundant pairs of 6509’s with Firewall Service Modules, VPN service modules, and Sup720’s. Multiple firewall contexts utilizing various VLANs/PVLANs with MSFCs performing routing. Configured BGP for data center redundancy.
• Work with/as a team to brainstorm solutions to difficult problems.
• Migrated EIGRP MPLS network to BGP. Work with the client on all their wired and wireless network needs and issues.
• Order/upgrade circuits as required to support customer data. Design and present solutions/recommendations to executive officers for overall network strategy, procure equipment as needed, and implement the solutions.
• Engineered secure networks with common tools that could be used between different customers. Documented solutions using Visio and Word so others could easily support the environment.
• Lead technical engineer for several client companies with multiple network staff supporting me. Manage/assist other engineers to ensure projects amongst the clients are assigned and completed timely and correctly. From January 2009 to May 2012 (3 years 5 months) Network Engineer @ • Managed network devices for a network with 450 remote locations and one core location. This comprised of small business and enterprise Cisco switches, variety of Cisco routers, Cisco 3000 series VPN concentrators, ASA’s, F5 Load Balancers, Bluecoat Proxy Appliances, Aventail SSL appliances, and Checkpoint firewalls.
• Merged networks during acquisitions including:
o Designing network connectivity and configuring equipment.
o Coordinating tech’s and client sites to ensure cutovers are successful.
o Migrating/merging businesses onto the Gentiva network.
• Developed and successfully implemented plans and configurations for core network disaster recovery. From November 2007 to December 2008 (1 year 2 months) Network Engineer for CapGemini’s IT Outsourcing @ • Perform cutovers and design upgrades for internal and customer networks
o Upgraded core and internet routers/firewalls along with creating customer VRF’s at the management office to extend the customer networks via IPSEC VPN’s.
o Designed/implemented Cisco Catalyst 4006 (with RSM) to 6500 (without MSFC) core switch upgrade. Documented the core topology using Visio.
o Designed/implemented internet circuit addition to resolve bandwidth issues.
• Support the core network which consists of 15 (some FDA regulated) customers utilizing a redundant pair of 6509’s with Firewall Service Modules, VPN service modules, and Sup720’s. Multiple firewall contexts utilizing various VLANs/PVLANs with MSFCs performing routing.
• Worked with customers (onsite and remotely) to troubleshoot connectivity problems across multiple VRF’s and virtual firewalls in the network.
• Worked with CapGemini personnel to resolve VPN client (in AD domain) connectivity problems. From March 2007 to November 2007 (9 months) NTAC Technical Support Engineer - Packet Data Network Operations @ • Provide highest tier routing, software, and hardware support and design for all Sprint networks.
o Support a wide variety of Cisco routers and switches along with Juniper M10-i routers and Netscreen firewalls.
• Selected as “Most Valuable Employee” by management.
• Managed the transition of Sprintlink’s router/switch acceptance function from a Network Operations group in Reston, VA, to their “Test and Turn-Up” group in Lenexa, KS.
• Schedule/Perform IOS upgrades and hardware additions/replacement as needed
• Script mass configuration changes saving employee time.
• Perform vendor management and escalation regarding hardware/software issues.
• Train employees on network architecture and troubleshooting.
• Drive troubleshooting bridges and provide on-call support for network outage resolution.
• Completed Juniper Training:
o Implementing NetScreen Security Gateways
o Simplifying Juniper VPN Implementation From January 2006 to March 2007 (1 year 3 months) SprintLink IP Operations - Network Technical Analyst Level 3 @ • Saved $2,000,000 dollars recovering lost hardware and implementing new procedures to ensure better tracking of equipment.
• Saved an average of 80 man-hours per month through program/script automation.
• Isolated problems on circuits ranging from DS0’s to OC192’s and other hardware/software issues on Cisco 7500 and GSR routers.
• Supported Sprints Core including MP-BGP, L2TPv3, and MPLS for VoIP services across SprintLink’s Peerless IP network.
• Trained employees on techniques and procedures. From June 2004 to January 2006 (1 year 8 months) Broadband Wireless Group and PCS Network Operations - Senior Network Operation Specialist @ • Trained co-workers and updated processes to keep them as efficient as possible.
• Supported management by utilizing VBA/VBS to program CRT, Excel and Access applications to automate processes, including many reports and daily repetitive tasks.
• Worked directly with customers to resolve network issues.
• Reviewed, scheduled, approved, and performed network maintenances. From June 2002 to June 2004 (2 years 1 month) Front End Coordinator @ • Supervised the business center, cashiers, and customer service representatives and handled any problems encountered. Interviewed new job applicants.
• Acting Store Manager - Handled customer complaints to ensure customer/ company satisfaction and assisted employees.
• Handled business and corporate accounts by taking/placing orders, scheduling delivery/pickup and ensuring that the business needs were met. From October 1999 to December 2002 (3 years 3 months) Network Command Center and Environmental Surveillance - NOS Level 2 @ • Managed LD network events and controlled conference bridges to ensure actions were being taken to resolve the event, and documented the progress.
• Notified all impacted customer groups and executives of outages.
• Monitored SMS Alarms and managed dispatching of technicians when required. From December 2001 to June 2002 (7 months) ION Service Delivery - Shift Lead @ • Developed efficient procedures to distribute work evenly amongst team members and programmed applications to help the entire group perform jobs more efficiently.
• Tested new releases of production software and trained employees on functionality.
• Interacted with many groups to help troubleshoot problems. From October 2000 to December 2001 (1 year 3 months) Assistant Manager @ • Supervised staff ensuring assigned work was done properly and efficiently.
• Managed the camp and ensured customer needs were met. From September 1998 to September 1999 (1 year 1 month)
Bachelor’s Degree, Technical Management @ Devry University From 1995 to 2005 Ryan Walz is skilled in: Cisco Technologies, Juniper, Data Center, Network Architecture, Routers, Switches, Troubleshooting, BGP, Routing, Networking, MPLS, OSPF, VPN, Firewalls, Bitcoin
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension