Senior Vice President & Controller @ Perdue AgriBusiness
Director, Financial Planning and Analysis - Grain & Biofuels @ Bunge North America, Inc.
VP of Finance / Chief Financial Officer @ Swiss Valley Farms Cooperative
An analytical controller, forward-thinking TOP FINANCE EXECUTIVE with domestic and international experience in accounting, controlling, financial analysis and reporting, integrations, mergers and acquisitions, process improvements, GAAP reporting, Sarbanes-Oxley/regulatory compliance, and strategic planning. Communicates financial concepts to non-financial people to ensure alignment across internal and external parties. Directs projects from inception to completion to secure the attainment of
An analytical controller, forward-thinking TOP FINANCE EXECUTIVE with domestic and international experience in accounting, controlling, financial analysis and reporting, integrations, mergers and acquisitions, process improvements, GAAP reporting, Sarbanes-Oxley/regulatory compliance, and strategic planning. Communicates financial concepts to non-financial people to ensure alignment across internal and external parties. Directs projects from inception to completion to secure the attainment of established objectives.
Specialties:agriculture commodities, food manufacturing
Director, Financial Planning and Analysis - Grain & Biofuels @ Directing the finance related analytical activities of the business unit that support financial returns and growth. Providing financial expertise, support, and diligence to the business unit. Developing and monitoring short and long term business, capital, and strategic plans. Monthly, quarterly and annual in depth financial results analysis and associated formal report outs. Developing and/or review and approval of all major capital investments.
•Develop and lead all annual business plan activities for the North American business unit.
•Lead the annual strategic planning program.
•Responsible for monthly financial forecasts and analysis.
•Analyze capital investment and M&A opportunities for strategic fit and financial return considerations; develop appropriate financial analyses including payback calculations and formal project applications. From 2012 to Present (3 years) St. Louis, MOVP of Finance / Chief Financial Officer @ Directed all financial activities of the Company, including preparation and analysis of financial reports and forecasts. Provided strategic leadership and direction for the Company. Directed and managed banking and insurance functions and relationships. Managed finance department; coordinated and managed external audit. Served on board of joint venture facility. Legal liaison.
•Identified commodity risks in each business unit along with appropriate hedge mechanisms; implemented hedge processes and associated controls. Led commodity risk management team / meetings.
•Drove business unit improvement efforts through financial planning exercises with business unit heads; established metrics and accountability tools.
•Reviewed capital investments; analyzed and prepared financial payback calculations.
•Negotiated bank lines of credit and loans.
•Presented financial results, analysis, and recommendations to board of directors and finance committee. From 2011 to 2012 (1 year) Davenport, IowaAssistant Controller @ Managed and directed a large global staff of 625 colleagues. Oversaw accounting and controlling functions for international operations, including Europe, South America, Africa, and Asia. Directed corporate accounting department. Reviewed and approved monthly global divisional financials.
• Launched Project Force, close process improvement initiative. Addressed problematic inter-company tie-out process, post-close adjustment issues, and FX problems, among others.
• Implemented vendor due diligence procedures globally.
• Oversaw global fixed assets department as well as Sarbanes-Oxley documentation and annual compliance activities.
• Served as controlling representative for significant compliance initiative.
• Contributed to various committees, including Cornerstone accounting systems initiative, Saxum European centralization to Switzerland, and Accounting Policy Committee. From 2010 to 2011 (1 year) Finance Director - Europe @ Held responsibility for all aspects of accounting and controlling for ADM’s operations and related trading activities throughout Europe & Africa, with 35 operations in nine counties. Oversaw major business units, including oilseeds processing, cocoa processing, specialty fats and oils, and wheat milling. Managed large pan-European staff of 250 colleagues. Contributed to development of strategy as member of senior management team. Directed U.S. GAAP financial reporting as well as management reporting, including cost, P&L, and yields. Held responsibility for controls over commodity and currency positions. Led operational, commercial, and financial reporting control efforts.
• Served as finance lead for Project Saxum, major initiative to restructure and centralize operations, including relocation to Rolle, Switzerland.
• Restructured all major businesses as tollers on behalf of new Swiss entity over course of three years, including relocation of 130 colleagues to new Swiss headquarters.
• Responsible for financial analysis and integration of three successful acquisitions including two oilseeds operations in Czech Republic and Germany and a cocoa/chocolate operation in Germany.
• Supported business as ADM’s top financial representative in region.
• Accountable for acquisition analysis and integration as well as capital spending analysis.
• Contributed as board member of ADM Investor Services International Ltd. in London.
• Achieved Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and oversaw statutory reporting preparation.
• Coordinated external audit requirements as required by various U.S. and European regulatory requirements. From 2007 to 2010 (3 years) Senior Group Controller - Global Chocolate & Cocoa, Flour Milling @ Continued to hold group controller responsibilities in addition to direct responsibility for accounting and controlling for ADM milling division, with 40 operations in seven countries. Integrated milling business, which operated mostly stand-alone. Implemented ADM controls and best practices. Developed strong working relationships between controlling and commercial management. Completed significant staffing changes.
• Served as part of cross-functional management team developing business plan for construction of greenfield cocoa and chocolate factory on U.S. East Coast; presented to senior management and achieved approval.
• Developed business plans in conjunction with commercial and operations management for both divisions as finance lead. From 2005 to 2007 (2 years) Group Controller - Global Chocolate & Cocoa @ Continued to hold North American division controller responsibilities. Held responsibility for all aspects of accounting and controlling for global ADM cocoa division, with 16 operations in ten countries. Contributed as member of management team in developing strategic direction and acquisition strategy.
• Implemented controlling best practice in international operations. Cleaned up problematic Brazilian operation.
• Developed and implemented new U.S. GAAP-compliant brought-to-market methodology globally. From 2003 to 2005 (2 years) Division Controller - N. American Chocolate & Cocoa @ Continued to hold manager responsibilities. Ensured divisional compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley 404. Served as member of acquisition team analyzing potential acquisitions and joint ventures. Advised controllers in company’s international facilities on issues, including U.S. GAAP and company policy. From 2001 to 2003 (2 years) Operations Accounting Manager - N. American Chocolate & Cocoa @ Held responsibility for all aspects of accounting and controlling for six recently acquired chocolate and cocoa facilities in U.S. and Canada. Presented monthly results to upper management. Directed staff of five accountants and two clerical workers. Worked closely with division management to determine reporting requirements for newly acquired business, including production yields, manufacturing costs, commodity positions, currency positions, and inventory control. Established plant cost procedures to properly departmentalize costs and to assign costs to individual products. Collaborated with management to determine hedging methods and strategies. Implemented accounting procedures to match and report results properly. From 1998 to 2001 (3 years) Manager of Special Projects - Corporate Accounting @ From 1995 to 1998 (3 years) Operations Accounting Supervisor - Protein Division @ From 1992 to 1995 (3 years) Operations Accounting Systems Coordinator @ From 1990 to 1992 (2 years) Accounting Trainee @ From 1990 to 1990 (less than a year)
B.S. Accounting, Accounting @ Millikin University From 1986 to 1990 Accounting @ Millikin University From 1986 to 1990 Accounting @ Millikin University From 1986 to 1990 accounting @ Millikin University From 1986 to 1990 Rob Hlawek is skilled in: Internal Controls, Financial Reporting, Mergers & Acquisitions, Accounting, Food Manufacturing, Process Improvement, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Corporate Finance, Financial Analysis, Business Planning, Cost Accounting, Due Diligence, Strategic Financial...
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension