Principal Firmware Engineer @ Paul J. Roberts Embedded
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) @
A key-role designing, developing and debugging embedded systems. My passion is where control systems, embedded software, algorithm design, development and debugging, and hardware design (both digital & analog) all meet. I am hard-working, focused, and dedicated to making things work quickly and with a quality that will give you, your team, and your company a competitive
A key-role designing, developing and debugging embedded systems. My passion is where control systems, embedded software, algorithm design, development and debugging, and hardware design (both digital & analog) all meet. I am hard-working, focused, and dedicated to making things work quickly and with a quality that will give you, your team, and your company a competitive advantage.
Specialties: Firmware Development, Robotics, Control Systems, Machine Vision, Automation, Programmable Logic and VHDL, C/C++, RTOS, Servo Control, PID, Trajectory Generation, Signal Processing, Freescale CodeWarrior (Eclipse) with Processor Expert and Kinetis with MQX, HEW (Renesas with Nucleus), Keil (NXP Arms, 8051s and ADuCs), MPLAB (Microchip PICs), Eagle, CPLDs (Altera, Cypress), MathCad, Visual Studio, MatLab and Simulink, Borland, PSpice, Labview, Zilog and Motorola.
Noteworthy Professional Activities
• Invention disclosure for a 1D barcode proprietary incremental decoding algorithm implemented in the Pitney Bowes Sebring.
• Designed a vision centering trigger algorithm on the Contact 3AV based on the motion profile, involving s-curve acceleration after picking from a feeder that is close to the camera.
• Developed a rule-based optimizer for determining the pick and place order for a given PCB.
Senior Firmware Engineer @ • Firmware for MWD Tool Master Controller, Memory Controller, Weight-Torque bending boards in C using Freescale S12X with XGate, Cosmic Idea IDE.
• Bringing real-time diagnostic capability to the product line.
• Introducing Freescale Codewarrior IDE with Processor Expert to the department. From June 2014 to Present (1 year 7 months) Embedded Software Engineer @ TVOne. 2791 Circleport Drive, Erlanger, KY. (7/2013-present part-time)
• Completed project started with Magenta Research, Inc.
• Continuing support for Multiview II ProAV Transport System.
Clinical Dynamics. 10 Capital Drive, Wallingford, CT. (8/2012-present part-time)
• Embedded software for AccuPulse NIBP Simulator in C with TI MSP430 using Code Composer Studio, an Eclipse-based IDE, for servo drive of a voice coil motor.
• Designed a feedback control system including a Power Op-Amp servo amplifier using a pair of OPA544’s, interfacing it to the micro for a bidirectional linear drive with force feedback.
• Eagle 6.4 schematic capture and layout design of Push-Pull Controller and Amplifier.
Magenta Research. 128 Litchfield Road, New Milford, CT. (3/2013-6/2013 part-time)
• Continued project started as a full-time employee of Magenta Research, Inc.
Versatec Solutions, LLC. 30 Shelter Rock Road, Danbury, CT. (7-12/2011, 1-2/2013 part-time)
• Firmware for Feeder Comm Board in C on NXP LPC2142 ARM with USB, SCI using Keil uVision.
• Eagle Schematic Capture for Feeder Comm Board.
Presco, Inc. 8 Lunar Drive, Woodbridge, CT. (4/2012-8/2012)
• Embedded software in C for a theater lighting system
• Panel Controller with Freescale Kinetis K60 and Eclipse version of Codewarrior 10.2 IDE, Embedded Access MQX RTOS. Heavily involved in extensive CAN bus development.
• Dimmer/Relay Module Controller with Kinetis K10. Used Processor Expert code generator. Heavy usage of ISRs and microcontroller peripherals including timers, ADCs, CAN, SCI, and GPIO.
Faria Watchdog, Inc. 303 Norwich-New London Turnpike, Uncasville, CT. (6/2011-3/2012)
• Embedded software for Watchdog Vessel Monitoring System using Freescale Coldfire 5216 uP, CodeWarrior 6.4, and Embedded Access MQX RTOS. Interfaced via an OBDII adapter. From June 2011 to Present (4 years 7 months) RMS Engineer @ ·• Embedded firmware for iR7040 Radiation Ratemeter in C using Renesas H8S/2378, IAR Embedded Workshop IDE.
·• Exposure to Windows CE C#.net environment using VS 2008. From March 2013 to May 2014 (1 year 3 months) Embedded Development Engineer @ Responsible for designing, developing, documenting and debugging embedded software and hardware solutions for a variety of Magenta's video transport and switching products. Design embedded firmware for a variety of microcontrollers, programmable logic design and development with CPLDs, and support hardware design and development effort.
• Embedded software for MultiView-II DVI-Tx and DVI-Rx A/V transmitter, receiver in C using Freescale MC9S08 (AC32, AC60) microcontrollers, CodeWarrior 6.2 IDE with Processor Expert.
• Programmable Logic for MultiView-II DVI-Tx and DVI-Rx in ABEL-HDL using Lattice CPLDs (LC4064V , LC4128V, LC4256V ). From October 2012 to March 2013 (6 months) Senior Engineer – Motion Controls @ * Embedded software for DI900/950 FastPAC Inserting System in C++ using Renesas SuperH 7727, HEW IDE, Nucleus RTOS. Developed HCEF task, helped migrate to new LCD which required a bootloader update.
* Embedded software for Sebring Motion Control Processor (MCP) Board firmware platforms in C using Renesas H8S 2215, H8S 2357, and H8SX 1663 with HEW IDE.
* Embedded software for Sebring Scanner Board in C using Renesas H8S 2215R with HEW IDE. Developed proprietary decoding algorithms and interfaced to third part decoders.
* Developed using “Profiles,” a proprietary scripting language, for DI900/950 MCPs. From July 2005 to April 2011 (5 years 10 months) Embedded Systems Design and Development Engineer @ * Embedded software for Programmable Spectral Filter and Programmable Broadband Source in C using Motorola DSP56F807 and Codewarrior IDE. This benchtop instrument includes a 240x64 LCD, matrix keypad, RS232 and GPIB interfaces, and an AMD flash.
* P.C. board schematic design for DSE-in-a-box using OrCAD Schematic Capture 9.1.
* Programmable logic in VHDL using Altera CPLD EPM3064 with Max+II, Exemplar compiler.
* Developed a semi-automatic vision inspection station for Cidra's Precision Machining business unit using both C and C++ in MS Visual Studio 6.0 and LabView 7.
* Developed production process motion control algorithms in PMAC scripting language for Delta Tau PMAC II motion controller. From October 2000 to July 2005 (4 years 10 months) Electrical & Embedded Software Engineer @ * Embedded software in C/C++ for Contact 3S/3AV/3Z Automatic Surface Mounter with vision centering using Borland C with Phar Lap DOS extender. Developed the main execution software, Served as the company's motion control specialist. Significant contributions in areas of machine vision and calibration.
* Circuit design and embedded software design in assembly languages including the use of Microchip PICmicros, H-bridges, op-amps, opto-couplers, quadrature encoder inputs, UARTs and RS232, and RS422. Servo control using microcontroller’s PWM output drive.
* PID algorithm design with feed-forward terms included.
* Trajectory generation algorithm design including trapezoidal and s-curve shaped velocity profiles in position control servo loops.
* PC boards schematics using Schema II+ schematic editor and Eagle. Familiar with PC layout fundamentals, heat sinking, placement and routing issues, ground and power plane considerations, layering considerations, the use of net lists, Gerber files, and surface mount stencils.
* PLD design in VHDL for a Cypress 375I CPLD using Cypress Warp. From October 1994 to October 2000 (6 years 1 month)
Master of Science (M.S.), Electrical Engineering @ Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at Hartford From 2001 to 2006 Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Electrical Engineering @ Fairfield University From 1989 to 1998 Associate of Science (A.S.), Electrical Engineering @ Waterbury State Technical CollegeHoly Cross High, Kingsbury Paul Roberts is skilled in: Hardware Design, Labview, Simulink, Signal Processing, Visual Studio, Microchip, MQX, Eclipse, Microcontrollers, Motion Control, Hardware Architecture, Automation, Software Development, C++, Software Engineering
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension