Paul Meng (a.k.a MnO2 on Internet) , having pioneered the development of Haskell and Rust community in Taiwan and Singapore, is an experienced web developer and enthusiastic to programming language research and practice. He founded the Haskell.TW, Haskell.SG, Rust.TW developer community and actively evangelize the benefit of type system and functional programming. Aside from the rich development
Paul Meng (a.k.a MnO2 on Internet) , having pioneered the development of Haskell and Rust community in Taiwan and Singapore, is an experienced web developer and enthusiastic to programming language research and practice. He founded the Haskell.TW, Haskell.SG, Rust.TW developer community and actively evangelize the benefit of type system and functional programming. Aside from the rich development experience, he has also been deal with DevOps tasks, in charge of all of the setup of AWS VPC and cluster management at BrandKarma. Beyond that, he also comes with a strong background in Information Retrieval and Speech Processing, familiar with machine learning algorithms and processing technologies. And had demonstrated his analytical skill at Zalora and Yahoo!'s recommendation engine projects.
Specialties: Functional Programming, DevOps, Recommendation System, Information Retrieval, Speech Processing. Machine Learning.
Software Engineer @ Growth Hack Team From July 2015 to Present (6 months) SingaporeOrganizer @ * Haskell.SG is the largest Haskell community in SEA, with each event having around 30-40 RSVP and total community size around 250 people. From November 2013 to Present (2 years 2 months) Senior Software Engineer @ * Design and build the whole data pipeline from scratch. From python scripts for tapping
datasources to aggregation and persist them into TokuMX and Elasticsearch. With Apache
Kafka as the central logging system.
* Design the AWS VPC network layout and migrate existing services into VPC.
Automize deployment with Chef and Knife-solo. Monitor and auto-heal the production
service with Opsworks. As for for internal micro service, push engineers to develop and
deploy with Docker.
* Successfully driving the Open Source culture. Release libs in Clojure, Haskell and Python
to the company's github
* Build Single Page Applcation to reduce the manual work for quality assurance (with Back-
* Build CRUD Web App with Django 1.7, with registration, login, and image uploading to AWS Cloudfront.
* Develop an iOS app in Swift, construct the UI with the officially recommended Storyboard.
* Using AWS EC2 Container Service to build micro-services with Docker.
* Suggest using mypy to typecheck python3 scripts and get better safety without losing productivity. From March 2014 to June 2015 (1 year 4 months) Data Scientist / Software Engineer @ * Implement Google's word2vec algorithm (using python's gensim) and bi-gram model (in
Haskell) to mine the similarities between products. Where the verication result with Ama-
zon Mechanical Turk is 70% of positive opinion.
* Heuristic Multilingual text-based Product Matching system (in Haskell and Elasticsearch)
to compare the product price between Zalora and competitors.
* Internal tools help reduce the labor work for Buying (with Snap Framework and jQuery).
* Business intelligence reporting tools to collect statistics either for buying decision making
or provision to the business partners.
* Deploy internal tools with NixOps. From November 2013 to January 2014 (3 months) Software Engineer @ * Maintaining Yahoo!'s In-house Vespa search engine for the team. Being consulted when kick-starting new projects using the search engine.
* Integrating Yahoo! E-Commerce search platform with the existing system.
* Familiar with the whole instrumentation processing pipeline, and process the instrumentation data on Yahoo!'s Hadoop system.
* Developing E-Commerce's Recommendation system for E-Commerce Storemarket place team. From March 2012 to July 2013 (1 year 5 months) TaiwanFull-Stack Engineer @ Developed AJAX powered Mail, Minifeed, Friends Management, Inviter.
Using Google Map API to provide some Location-based search. From November 2008 to June 2010 (1 year 8 months) Speech Lab -- Workstation Manager @ Maintaining 17 IBM xSeries workstations for Speech Lab. All with Debian GNU/Linux installed. From September 2007 to June 2009 (1 year 10 months) Teaching Assistant of Digital Speech Processing @ From September 2007 to June 2008 (10 months) Part Time Engineer @ Modifying MyET (English Tutor Software) modules to fixed-point arithmetic without greatly losing accuracy. The module is used on embedded system. From March 2007 to June 2007 (4 months) Taiwan
MS, Computer Science @ National Taiwan University From 2007 to 2010 BS, Computer Science @ National Taiwan University From 2004 to 2007 National Tsing Hua University Paul Meng is skilled in: Haskell, Java, Perl, Bash, Python, Ruby, PHP, C++, C, LaTeX, Machine Learning, Speech Processing, Linux, Information Retrieval, Algorithms
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension