2nd Degree Technical High School @
Escuela Politécnica Burela
Senior Executive with 18+ years of gained experience in global procurement and supply chain (Direct, Indirect and Capex) strategic sourcing, operations, sales, people and project management by proven ability to manage all aspects of this Function (strategic sourcing process, organization, process and systems design) for well known multinational firms, including experience on Private Equity supporting Business turnaround
Senior Executive with 18+ years of gained experience in global procurement and supply chain (Direct, Indirect and Capex) strategic sourcing, operations, sales, people and project management by proven ability to manage all aspects of this Function (strategic sourcing process, organization, process and systems design) for well known multinational firms, including experience on Private Equity supporting Business turnaround processes.
Developed an influencing and leadership style to become a creative and committed Leader with the ability to build high performance teams able to effectively work in areas like Change Management,Procurement Transformation, Strategic Sourcing, Demand Management, Spent rationalization, SRM ( including SC and Project finance, WC Management), Risk Management, LCCS (GCS) Compliance and effective People Management in Large conglomerates to effectively help them to improve their bottom line
Proficient in Change Management and Procurement Transformation from Service provider to trusted Partner.
Innovative influencer in Spent rationalization projects (TCO approach): including “make vs buy” initiatives, demand management (volume control, spec simplification), and all kind of complex projects targeting cost reduction beyond mere acquisition price.
Detail oriented with both hands-on and management experience, creative, relentless, tenacious and resilient Performer. Team player and developed high performance teams by providing support, making expectations clear and treating other fairly and with dignity. Respected by a wide range of functional groups from workers to board members.
Successful performance in strategic sourcing of Direct, Indirect categories (Alloys,coatings, technical Consumables, Mech & Elec MRO, lubricants, chemicals, Packaging, Ind. Maintenance, Contracted Professional Services (temporal labor, office supplies, facility management, IT, Consulting, Audit, transportation, etc.) and CAPEX,including managing complex EPCM alliances.
Independent Management Consultant (Procurement, Strategy Development, Supply Chain, Private Equity) @ I provide consultancy services (either directly, through Consultancy Firms or Information brokerage Agencies (being active advisor of Gerson Lehrman Group, Cognolink, Coleman Research, Alphasights, Guidepoint global, CRG_Advisors, among others) in areas such:
Procurement (Direct, Indirect and Capex), Strategy Development, Supply Chain, Private Equity, Capex, market intelligence, Organization realignment, market trends and analysis, competitive landscape of capital goods manufactures, etc.
Some examples of recent projects:
* competitive landscape of extrusion supply market: Dies and tooling
* competitive landscape of BiW equipment manufacturing
* competitive landscape of BiW manufacturing US and Europe
* Business insight coatings and surface treatment suppliers for aluminium industry
* Shared services implementation
* Risk Management
* Sustainability Supply Chain
* Capital projects business management systems for Aluminium Industry (downstream and upstream)
* Current trends on Rolling Mill technologies, players competitive analysis, buying decision drivers
* Breakthrough technologies on aluminium rolling
* Aluminium market overview: Flat rolled products suppliers
* Bayer process for alumina production
* regular calls with business analyst to provide insight on key market players on different industrial sectors
Areas of expertise:
Direct, Indirect, Capex Procurement
Procurement Strategy Definition and development
Change Management and Procurement Transformation
Demand Management and Spend rationalization
Cash Management and Project Finance
Risk Management, Compliance and Sustainability Supply Chain
Supplier Relationship Management (SRM)
Global competitive sourcing (LCCS)
Transforming groups into high performance teams
PMO definition and governace From October 2015 to Present (3 months) Global Director of Procurement / Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) - Indirect @ Assigned to the most senior Procurement role for Indirect & Capex, within one of the world’s largest (5B€ revenue) and profitable Downstream Aluminum firms, covering 1,1B € in spend. Proven track record of successfully leading Procurement Transformation while delivering immediate spend reduction, direct report to the Group CFO
Leading a global organization (7 Corporate and 4 BU Category Managers as direct reports and 92 procurement operations Headcount as indirect report) by close partnership with business stakeholders to ensure full Procurement support of the business strategy; demonstrated success in delivering world-class value
Key Achievements as Chief Procurement Officer - Indirect:
•Increased productivity by 50% vs Budget: 2014 EBIDTA savings delivery: 19,1M€ (5.5% Addressable spent); thus 2011-2014: 66,7 M€ EBIDTA savings / 4% of addressable indirect spent along 4 years.
•Increased Capex productivity by 30% vs Budget: 2014 Capex savings: 14,6 M € (10% of Capex addressable spent), 36 M€ of capex productivity on the 4 years period (6.5%)
•Led an unprecedented 750M € Capex program definition (2014-2018) on time and on budget, key role on successful engagement on 3rd party engineering firms for first time ever in Company history
•Supported revenue generation by active role on DD process (M&A) at the USA (1,45 B $ deal)
•Deployed breakthrough project finance solutions: extensive project finance for capex projects more than 15 projects (125M€ as combination of sustaining and strategic growth projects)
•Defined and implemented new SOX compliant sourcing process (new requirement) by developing a new sourcing policy, process implementation and process controls definition
•Implemented the new sustainability Supply Chain requirements: Draft a new Supplier Sustainability Code of Conduct, follow up to enforce supplier acceptance
•Instrumental in Developing a 5 years Procurement plan: Organization, Strategic Sourcing Plan, Systems and Processes From October 2013 to October 2015 (2 years 1 month) Zürich Area, SwitzerlandGlobal Director of Strategic Procurement (Indirect & Capex) @ Assumed the global accountability for Capital Expenditure Procurement over 21 Plants (Flat Rolled Product, Extrusions, Casthouse and Specialties) in addition of below responsibilities. Annual total budget above 250MM$, managing the procurement process for new equipment/facilities and capital goods at global basis. Allocated on Zurich HQ managing a team of 8 Category Managers and direct reporting to the EVP Procurement
Key Achievements as Global Director of Strategic Procurement (Indirect & Capex):
• 2011- 2013, Directed and designed the Procurement part of the structural realignment of cost structure and achieved annual costs savings of €49, €67, and €57 million, respectively. This represented 4% of our estimated addressable cost base in 2012 (excluding raw material cost). These savings were split between operating expenses (48%), SG&A savings (21%) and procurement savings (31%).
• Created and implemented of new Capex Procurement Set-up (Organization, Strategic Sourcing, workflow and procedures).
• Instrumental on delivering 2012 Capex savings 60% above budget: 10MM in cash and 8 MM on WC improvement: Achieved Capex savings in 2013: 9,2MM € by strategic segmentation and effective leveraging of Capex portfolio.
• Led and sponsored the Category team to deliver 2.5 M€ savings on technical consumables (Casthouse, Rolling Mill, MRO, PPE’s, forklifts, IT etc.
• Led and sponsored an aggressive deployment of LCC sourcing in highly technical segments (i.e Hot Mill Works rolls for the very first time in Europe). From January 2012 to October 2013 (1 year 10 months) Global Director of Strategic Procurement (Production Support and Casthouse Capex) @ Overall Responsibility over Central Strategic Group (4 Global Category Managers) managing Production
Support spent portfolio (technical consumables, refractory, casthouse items, coatings, lubricants, chemicals,
machining, PPE’s and Capex Casthouse) over 100MM$ across 21 production sites, Allocated on Zurich
HQ and direct reporting to the EVP Procurement & Metals.
Directly hired by a US Private Equity Fund on the context of a large and global transformation program following their buy-out of the Engineered Products Division of Rio Tinto Alcan. Project Leader for Refractories and Casthouse consumables as well Casthouse Capex Portfolio at global basis (leveraging from local fragmented purchasing organization to a global category at central purchasing level).
Key Achievements as Global Director of Strategic Procurement (Production Support and Casthouse Capex):
• Expedited a drastic turnaround on Casthouse expenditure by 10% (1M€ savings) in 6months, consolidation of supplier base by 85% reduction (from 120 to 20) and the implementation of strategic partnership with key vendor based on TCO approach.
• Sponsored a Similar achievement on Rolling Mill area addressing 0,8M € savings in 10 months and starting implementation of complex TCO projects (rolling emulsions, process lubricants, etc).
• Directly engaged on attracting and hiring best in class Category Management talent within the Metals industry as part of m team in a challenging time frame (8 months).
• Sponsoring and key contribution on significant savings achievements in other categories (PPE’s, Lubricants, Chemicals, Building Maintenance, Capex) exceeding 3 M € in a year time frame. From March 2011 to December 2011 (10 months) Procurement Capex & Tech Indirect Manager @ Capital Procurement Responsibility over 6 Plants, Annual Capex budget 100-200MM$, in charge of sourcing new equipment/facilities; capital goods and EPCM (Fluor & Hatch) management.
Some Achievements as Capex Procurement Manager:
• I delivered 50% of the total 2007,08, 09 &10 targeted Savings for the whole European Team (5 members) in an average of 5MM$/year (total annual goal: 10MM$).
• Leading role along 2009 to challenge every existing contract to reduce total projects cost in a average range of 10% of the total Eur capex volume
• Alcoa 2007 CPO (Chief Procurement Officer) Award winner (Regional Excellence Category) and 2009 finalist in the categories Customer Service and Regional Excellence in recognition, respectively of delivered savings and claim mitigation expertise. From May 2006 to June 2010 (4 years 2 months) Procurement Operations Manager, Spain and Southern France EMP @ 4 Rolling Mill Plants of my concern, having under my responsibility a procurement team of 8 site buyers with, among others, the following duties:
Budget and Savings Plan, SLA (Service Level Agreement) with the Plants and related Customer Satisfaction follow up.
BU Specific categories/commodities handling on behalf of these concerned Plants.
SPA (project strategy, implementation and follow up) for EMP related Plants on the Commodity Teams for categories managed at such level.
Resources managing and HR related aspects.
Monthly report activity and monitoring towards BU Procurement Management and internal customer.
Some Achievements as Procurement Operations Manager:
• I exceeded in a range of 150% the annual targeted Savings for my assigned Plants.
• My plants were rated with best deployment rate of leveraged contracts.
• I completed an organizational realignment with an 50% headcount reduction (by increasing transactional automatization, leveraged buy and centralized procurement function). From May 2003 to May 2006 (3 years 1 month) Commercial & Business Development Director @ Dedicated to the manufacturing of capital goods machinery; machining shop of big items for markets as wind, paper, minery, hydro, etc and welding plate shop.
Some Achievements as Commercial & Business Development Director:
• I carried out the realignment of the Commercial function (web page, customer oriented culture, selection of key markets/clients (energy area (windpower, hydro, etc)
• I increased the sales volume on 15% and EBIT on 10% by gaining and retaining major corporations as customers. From April 2002 to April 2003 (1 year 1 month) A Coruña Area, SpainProcurement & Supply Chain Director - Spain (Direct and Indirect Spend) @ Start up of the Assembly Plant placed Lugo and the Logistics Centre in Zaragoza, responsible of providing the necessary Procurement resources for the production of wind turbines in Spain, (with 6 people under my direct responsibility), this also included the assessment, audit and approval of new country suppliers, Logistics towards end customers (Windfarms) and also with main contractors (blades and towers)
Daily management of the logistic, procurement and economical activity of the Factory
Some Achievements as Procurement & Supply Chain Director - Spain (Direct and Indirect Spend):
• I performed the assessment, audit and approval of more than 100 new country suppliers to locally replicate the corporate vendor base.
• I arranged the full logistic integration of turbine components (nacelle, rotor and tower) in a single procurement center at Country level . From May 1998 to March 2002 (3 years 11 months) Lugo Area, SpainIndustrial & Civil Damages Expert Valuer and Industrial Risks Inspector @ From June 1996 to August 1997 (1 year 3 months)
Bsch, Industrial Engineering @ Universidad de A Coruna From 1990 to 1994 2nd Degree Technical High Schoo, Electronics @ Escuela Politécnica Burela From 1986 to 1989 Tech High School, 1st Degree Technical High School; electrical – 2 years @ Instituto Politécnico Viveiro From 1984 to 1986 Msc, Environmental Management @ EOI (Escuela de Organización Industrial) Course in Internal Quality Audit according ISO9000:2000 issued by Bureau Veritas Foreign Trade, High Level Technician, by ICEX Graduated in Expert Evaluation of Industrial Risks and Fire, by MAPFRE-RELECMAP (national accredi Oscar Eng.) is skilled in: Private Equity, Business Turn-arounds, Procurement, Strategic Sourcing, Capex, Supply Chain, Global Sourcing, Management, Supply Management, Purchasing, Lean Manufacturing, Organizational Development, Low Cost Country Sourcing, Strategy, Negotiation
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension