Vice President Product Management, Go-to-Market @ Teradata
Mentor @ Alchemist Accelerator
Head of Portfolio and Chief of Staff, Product & Solutions Marketing @ Hitachi Vantara
North Maharashtra University
Nikhil is a product marketing, general management and product management leader who contributes by deriving and maximizing strategic growth options, incubating embedded device to cloud products, building and scaling ecosystem, and driving thought leadership that bolsters strategic imperatives. His awarded 20 year results-charged career is highlighted by working across the IoT value chain to incubate products that
Nikhil is a product marketing, general management and product management leader who contributes by deriving and maximizing strategic growth options, incubating embedded device to cloud products, building and scaling ecosystem, and driving thought leadership that bolsters strategic imperatives. His awarded 20 year results-charged career is highlighted by working across the IoT value chain to incubate products that resulted in $MM increments to the top lines.
Currently with GE Digital, Nikhil spearheads machine-to-machine marketing of Predix, GE’s cloud platform for the Industrial Internet. Hired to be the first product marketing/management professional in GE Digital, he has been at the forefront of incubating, productization, evangelizing and launching of Predix.
Nikhil has fathered 3 IoT platforms, managed a 20+ product portfolio, led teams up to 125 people, driven 44% of company's revenue, bootstrapped product marketing & management functions, developed business models & market entry strategies, forged partnerships, driven products to commercial success levels resulting in $MM, identified market beachheads, bolstered brand, driven marketing campaigns, developed GTM plans with channels/partners, directed market research, championed portfolio management, and minimized friction between dispersed teams.
Prior to GE, he launched a gateway platform and a Connected Medical Devices platform at Intel's Wind River. He also led multiple vertical-specific platforms generating $100M+ annual revenue across the industrial, medical, consumer, automotive, telecom & aerospace/defense sectors. Prior to Wind River, he held leadership positions at NXP Semiconductors and Ericsson.
A software engineer turned business leader, Nikhil has lived and worked across 3 continents and has technical expertise ranging from IoT, embedded, security, big data, analytics, sensors, cloud, virtualization, management to connectivity.
Director Product Marketing, Predix - Machine to Cloud @ GE (NYSE: GE) is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. GE is organized around a global exchange of knowledge, the "GE Store," through which each business shares and accesses the same technology, markets, structure and intellect. Each invention further fuels innovation and application across our industrial sectors.
• MANAGED PRODUCT: Hired as the first product marketer, helped define and evolve device and connectivity product management and marketing roles, adapted them for Agile/DevOps/Continuous Delivery, crafted functional responsibilities, acted as the voice-of-customer, and institutionalized best practices such as requirements prioritization matrix, etc.. All these enhanced GE Digital's organizational effectiveness and maximized impact.
• LAUNCHED PRODUCT, FORGED ECOSYSTEM: Co-launched Predix externally: developed and promoted key marketing assets (videos / whitepaper, blogs, brochure, Intel/AT&T/Cisco partner messaging). Co-worked on partnership assessment/joint go-to-market/messaging/positioning that resulted in NTI/NPIs.
• BUILT BUSINESS CASE AND AWARENESS: built 1st platform (Predix) pitch, and business case; revealed platform using developer keynote during 1st Software Technology Conference, scaled blog from 0 to 700+, orchestrated all platform sessions at internal/external events. Authored the white-paper defining “Brilliant Machine” and connected it with the vision of Software-defined Machines.
• MARKETED STRATEGICALLY: Significant contributions to defining Predix, a new, large, and complex software platform. Took a much-needed data-driven approach to bring in outside market data to inform the product development process. Architected external business case for 3rd party and GTM engagements that range from CSPs, infra providers, sensor network providers, SIs, OEM, ODMs, etc. From 2012 to Present (3 years) Director Product Management, VxWorks Platforms @ Wind River® delivers the technology and expertise that not only enables the deployment of safe, secure, and reliable intelligent systems, but also harnesses the intelligence in those systems to drive innovation and business transformation.
• Launched 2 new software platforms in connected home (M2M) and medical verticals that are contributing $10M incremental revenue per year.
• Awarded for delivering new medical platform in a staggering 3 month time frame resulting in $5M orders in first 2 quarters.
• Gained broad business responsibility of driving all VxWorks market-specific (consumer, industrial, networking, medical, automotive) platforms such as owning P&L and contributing to 44% of company's annual revenue. Directed cross functional team of 125+ engineers, marketing and business development professionals charged with the design, implementation and global launch of multiple platforms that include comprehensive network stack, security, connectivity (WLAN, USB) and management.
• Championed a portfolio management process for assessing various Wind River technologies. Instrumental in envisioning and addressing new market opportunities in Medical, Security, M2M/'Internet of Things' market spaces.
• Strengthened product portfolio, built key strategic partnerships, rolled-out timely customer surveys and beta trials of early product versions to monitor the satisfaction of products, spent time with customers, identified and prioritized requirements (MRDs and PRDs), and innovative solutions. All of these enhanced marketability of the products and top-line. From 2009 to 2012 (3 years) Senior Product Manager @ Wind River® delivers the technology and expertise that not only enables the deployment of safe, secure, and reliable intelligent systems, but also harnesses the intelligence in those systems to drive innovation and business transformation.
• Was hired to manage a portfolio including core networking, security, wireless and network management technologies.
• Certified VxWorks as the world’s first RTOS to be Wurldtech Achilles-certified, led company's security response team, drove end-to-end security portfolio (included IPsec, IKE, Cryptographic libraries, SSL, SSH, FIPS 140-2 support, SecureBoot, TrustZone, etc.), managed security certifications (such as VPNC), identified/commissioned 3rd party for platform penetration testing, identified safety and security requirements spanning OS/middleware/virtualization components.
• Bootstrapped the global connected device strategy. From October 2007 to 2009 (2 years) Program Manager @ The electronics industry is being driven by four mega trends that are helping shape our society: Energy Efficiency, Connected Devices, Security and Health. Connecting to these trends and enabling Secure Connections for a Smarter World, NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) creates solutions for the Connected Car, Cyber Security, Portable & Wearable and the Internet of Things.
• Rejuvenated a tier-1 mobile phone customer relationship by acting as an outstanding liaison; translated technical features and specifications into WLAN chipset based designs.
• Improved communication and reduced multi-site (Dresden, San Jose, Bangalore) friction by effectively leading and chairing both the change control board and a customer focus team represented by engineering, application engineering, customer service, quality, system integration, marketing and program management.
• Acted as wireless security subject matter expert, represented NXP in Wi-Fi alliance, established stable plan of record by adhering and including roadmap/requirements baseline, project priorities, risk management and change control.
• Developed all aspects of OS independent design for supporting IEEE 802.11i, WPA, WPA2, CCX and 802.1X security standards (authenticator and supplicant) on multiple WLAN chipsets; built drivers for Linux and Windows NDIS. The timely implementation was crucial for acquiring Wi-Fi Alliance certification for chipset.
• Authored the Software Architecture & Design document for next generation WLAN chipset. Hands-on software engg. experience with 802.11, ARM processor, WLAN, RADIUS, authenticator, and supplicant.
• Established stable plan of record by ensuring roadmap/requirements baseline, project priorities, risk management; requirements change control, and driving synchronization across several development teams. From October 2002 to November 2007 (5 years 2 months) Senior Software Engineering @ Associated in various software engineering leadership roles with Ericsson Datacom, BRI and Axes Technologies (now Tech Mahindra).
L2TP (VPN) Dial-out Enhancements (2002)
• Accomplished feature design, detailed design, implementation, testing, and documentation of RADIUS and O&M (SNMP, MIB) module in 5 months to achieve customer satisfaction.
• Coordinated feature tests by staying in-house and acting a mentor to two test engineers while the rest of the software development peers did telecommute.
Gateway GPRS Support Node, GGSN (2000 - 2002)
• Accomplished entire feature life cycle of GGSN Performance prototype, O&M module (SNMP, MIB) and License Manager Module in 9 months, achieving team praise and customer satisfaction.
• Designed, documented and tested GGSN Performance prototype within a staggering 3 months duration, thereby marketing accurate performance figures and re-using the code in final delivery.
BATON ROUGE INTERNATIONAL, USA
GSM 3.66 Mobile Number Portability Feature, (Client, Tekelec), Cary, NC, USA (2000)
• Accomplished feature design, detailed design, implementation, testing and documentation of measurements module (O & M Traffic Performance Analysis Group) alone in 4 months, achieving client praise.
Intelligent Network Application Part (INAP) Number Portability, (Client, Tekelec), NC, USA (2000)
• Accomplished feature design, detailed design, implementation, testing, and documentation of measurements module (O & M-Traffic Performance Analysis Group) individually in 5 months.
GPS Car Navigation System, (Client, Ford Visteon Technologies), Sunnyvale, CA, USA (1999)
• Independently accomplished all phases of software life cycle of file system management verification module of GPS controlled car navigation unit, and delivered in 4 months.
SAT1 - High Definition Television, (Client, Panasonic AVC American Labs), NJ, USA (1999)
• Accomplished all phases of software life cycle for screen GUI module of DirecTV set-top box in 3+ months. From 1997 to 2002 (5 years)
MBA @ Henley Business School From 2003 to 2007 Bachelors @ North Maharashtra University From 1992 to 1997 Nikhil Chauhan is skilled in: Product Management, Product Marketing, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Go-to-market Strategy, Strategy, Wireless, Networking, Telecommunications, Strategic Partnerships, Strategic Planning, Embedded Systems, Management, SaaS, Project Management, Product Requirements