Digital and Media Commercial Director @ The Nielsen Company
Bishop's Stortford College
I am a Senior Commercial Leader with over 20 years’ media experience covering Digital, Social, Mobile, Print, Out of Home and Broadcast. I have delivered strategic insight into planning, marketing and sales optimisation as well as competitor brand activity and online consumer behaviour. This enabled brand owners to understand how to best engage with consumers and deliver
I am a Senior Commercial Leader with over 20 years’ media experience covering Digital, Social, Mobile, Print, Out of Home and Broadcast. I have delivered strategic insight into planning, marketing and sales optimisation as well as competitor brand activity and online consumer behaviour. This enabled brand owners to understand how to best engage with consumers and deliver effective return on media investment and improve advertising performance within and across media platforms.
As a team leader I am focused on achieving continuous improved business performance and enhancing client relationships, both internal and external. I am highly motivated and passionate about consulting with clients, evaluating opportunities and achieving business objectives by delivering innovative solutions.
Senior Client Director @ At Millward Brown, we’re passionate about helping clients grow great brands. We’re experts in advertising, marketing communications, media, digital and brand equity research, and we work with 90% of the world’s leading brands.
We know brands that are Meaningfully Different capture more volume share, command premiums and grow their value. Our key areas of focus are Brand Strategy, Creative Development, Channel Optimization and Brand Performance.
Our team includes some of the most talented market researchers, consultants, storytellers and neuroscience experts in the industry. With offices in 56 countries, we understand the importance of both a global and local focus – and we understand consumers.
Today, many brands are a company's most valuable asset. We can help you manage your brands to drive financial growth and wealth creation for your organization. From November 2013 to Present (2 years 2 months) United KingdomConsultant Commercial Director @ Consulting with the MD to drive Marketing, PR and New Business and defined a strategy for growth and new product development. Evaluated the existing product offering, employed a new Digital Marketing and PR Exec, and established parameters for evolving the business including multi-platform opportunities and levels of investment required. From June 2013 to July 2013 (2 months) Digital and Media Commercial Director @ Managed a team of senior account managers growing revenue from Nielsen FMCG Consumer Brand and Retail, Telecoms and Financial clients with advertising effectiveness solutions, e-commerce path to purchase tracking and competitor bench marking. Responsibility for financial forecasting, cost management and strategy development and represented Nielsen with Industry organisations including the MRG, PPA, NPA and IAB. Merged and re-structured the Digital, Social Media and Media divisions with revenues in excess of $20M and
• Consumer client revenue growth, clients include: Tesco, Sainsbury’s, L’Oreal and Colgate.
• Telecoms and Finance client revenue growth, clients include, BT, Barclaycard, HSBC and LG
• Launched Digital Advertising Effectiveness and Custom Insight solutions
• Grew revenue via 3rd party partnership agreements
• Over 92% client contract renewal rate and enabled commercial teams to cross-sell all Nielsen products and services reducing cost per sale and growing overall margins.
• 3 Nielsen ‘Simply Excellent’ awards including the highest ‘Platinum’ Award From December 2009 to February 2013 (3 years 3 months) London, United KingdomCommercial Director @ Responsibilities: Media UK Board member running the UK Marketing, Insight and Commercial team totalling 32 staff covering account management of 320 clients, new business revenue and strategic partnership Sales. Re-structured the team to be very client focused to enable new product development to meet the needs of the changing market
• Grew new revenue by 26% with Custom Insights team focused on matching client demand and increased margins by 6%
• Increased Contract renewal rate from 89 to 94%
• Initiated the measurement of Digital Media
• Client Support management and SMART accountability.
• Grew International accounts with high margin business by 34% and a large Telecom win From June 2005 to December 2009 (4 years 7 months) Regional Group Ad Director, Mirror Group Advertising @ Based from Manchester, I controlled 4 commercial teams of 56 staff based in Birmingham, Manchester, Belfast and Dublin delivering in excess of £30m revenue into the Mirror, The People and the Daily Record.
• Restructured teams to align with local/National opportunity
• Employed new Ad Directors in Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin and Belfast
• Developed strategy for competing in Ireland and aligned with UK
• Created new reporting systems and revenue growth initiatives
• Represented Regional Offices on the Commercial Board From April 2004 to May 2005 (1 year 2 months) Manchester, United KingdomCommercial Director @ Reporting to the General Manager, I joined on a short term contract to unify two commercial teams after Hachette corporate buy-out of leading Emap and Attic Futura titles and to manage the Research department. I established key corporate client partnerships with annual high value deals across titles which included ELLE, Red, Sugar, Elle Deco, B, Inside Soap and All About Soap. I also conducted some market sizing ahead of the launch of Psychologies magazine. Clients included Unilever, L’Oreal, P&G and Media Agency groups. I represented Hachette on the Marketing Board of the PPA. From April 2003 to March 2004 (1 year) London, United KingdomDirector, Ad Solutions and Specialist Group @ I ran the Ad Solutions dept for IPC SouthBank Magazines consisting of 13 titles including Marie Claire, InStyle, Ideal Home, Homes and Gardens and Woman and Home. This was a creative solutions agency originating and selling sponsorship and brand partnership opportunities to leading advertisers. We originated an idea, put a package together, sold the concept, created the advert and delivered final brief. These were high value £100k+ packages. The team were highly multi tasking and talented, recognised by being awarded a Highly Commended at the 2002 IPC annual Ad Awards. I then went on to run the ad teams across all the women's specialist titles in IPC SouthBank, including Wedding and Home and Hair magazine. Achieved strong new ad growth resulting in the team winning Best Team in the 2003 IPC Ad Awards. From January 2002 to April 2003 (1 year 4 months) London, United KingdomGroup Publisher, Home Interest Titles @ As Group Publisher Managing the P&L, Marketing, Advertising and Editorial teams across 3 brands, Homes & Gardens, Homes & Ideas and 25 Beautiful Homes totaling over 50 staff. Working with the Editor, we originated the Homes & Gardens Classic Design Awards partnering with the V&A, Prince Charles, and leading designers. I expanded the 25 Beautiful Homes brand, launching 25 Beautiful Gardens and 25 Beautiful Kitchens. Both Homes & Gardens and 25 Beautiful Homes had the highest ever EBITDA, with 25 BH growing by 50% YOY, and both titles having margins of over 30%, the highest in IPC. From December 1999 to January 2002 (2 years 2 months) London, United KingdomAssociate Publisher, Your Home Magazine @ After initially working on the relaunch of Focus magazine developing 30% more ad revenue, I moved to the Launch of Prima Baby and Your Home magazines, becoming Associate Publisher of Your Home after a successful launch achieving 20% over expected ad revenue forecasts. From October 1997 to December 1999 (2 years 3 months) London, United KingdomCentral Sales Manager, The National Magazine Company @ I initially joined NatMags as a Sales Exec working on the leading circulation home interest title, House Beautiful, rising to be Ad Manager before moving to NatMags Central Sales team as Account Manager on primary NatMag portfolio clients including P&G, L'Oreal, Unilever and Coty across all titles including Cosmopolitan, Good Housekeeping, Company, Esquire, Harpers Bazaar, House Beautiful and Country Living. This role involved managing and negotiating annual advertising deals and new innovative revenue packages. The department also developed and ran the first Tesco magazine. From October 1993 to October 1997 (4 years 1 month) London, United KingdomSenior Sales Exec @ I worked on the pre-launch and launch of BBC Homes & Antiques liaising closely with the BBC Antiques Roadshow team and the Editor to drive advance ad revenue. we achieved strong revenue ahead of target which continued into the 3rd quarter before I departed to work on House Beautiful. I additionally worked with the BBC Gardeners World team. From September 1992 to October 1993 (1 year 2 months) London, United KingdomAd Sales Executive, Parenting Group, Emap Elan @ I initially worked on Period Living home interest magazine for 6 months, then moved to work on Parents Magazine as Ad Sales Exec. I had significant success, achieving very high sales over target resulting in me winning Sales Person of the Year Silver Award (runner up) in the 1992 EMAP Consumer Awards, a real highlight of my early career. From November 1990 to September 1992 (1 year 11 months) London, United KingdomMedia Graduate Trainee @ MG was based in Woolwich and was a large B2B publisher with iconic titles such as The Engineer and Building Design (later taken over by United Business Media ) I joined as only one of two Grad intakes, working initially on the classified advertising team on What's New in Electronics and Electronics Times before being promoted to display sales and product cards on What's New in Interiors magazine selling to B2B suppliers in the interior design sector. From August 1988 to September 1990 (2 years 2 months) London, United KingdomMenswear Shop Manager @ My first real job, this was shortly after George Davies launched Next onto the high street. I worked as a shop assistant for 3 months, then transferred to Cambridge to learn wider areas of running a branch for 9 months before returning to Bishop's Stortford to run the Menswear branch as the youngest branch manager. I left to go to University. From February 1985 to August 1986 (1 year 7 months)
Business, Management, Marketing HND @ University of Hertfordshire From 1986 to 1988 Bishop's Stortford College Nigel Birch is skilled in: Digital Marketing, Analytics, Advertising, Mobile Devices, Consumer Behaviour, Publishing, Customer Insight, Media Research, Marketing, Sales, Account Management, Strategy, Strategic Partnerships, Online Advertising, B2B
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension