Adjunct Professor, Economics and Management Faculty @ Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
Managing Director @ Emerio, a NTT group service company
Anderson, Ipoh, Malaysia
Michael is a former Chief Executive of a number of companies, an Advisor and Independent Director on the boards of several companies, and a founding member of several industry associations. He is today a Vice President at the Malaysian Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC), the caretakers of the Malaysian Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) as well as the Digital
Michael is a former Chief Executive of a number of companies, an Advisor and Independent Director on the boards of several companies, and a founding member of several industry associations. He is today a Vice President at the Malaysian Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC), the caretakers of the Malaysian Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) as well as the Digital Malaysia program.
Michael has over 25 years corporate leadership and management experience working and living mainly in Asia Pacific countries. Some of his key accomplishments include leading the start-up, operations and restructuring of entrepreneurial, regional and multi-national organizations, across a variety of industries including telecoms, financial services, energy & utilities, manufacturing, and the public sector.
Michael’s core competence lies in his extensive government and commercial network across the South East Asian region, his skills around corporate problem and opportunity identification matters, people relationship management, and in the formulation and execution of corporate and business strategies. Michael comes from an ethnic Indian and English heritage and speaks English, Malay, and Indonesian.
Specialties: Shared Service & Outsourcing
IT Services & Consulting
Mergers and Acquisition
Vice President @ Shared Services and Outsourcing From January 2014 to Present (1 year 10 months) Cyberjaya, MalaysiaPresident @ Took out $4m bottom line costs and recovered $11m payments outstanding in 6 weeks then resigned to return to my former government role owing to perceived board management conflicts. From September 2013 to November 2013 (3 months) MalaysiaVice President @ Multimedia Development Corporation or MDeC directs and oversees Malaysia’s National ICT (Information & Communication Technology) Initiative, the MSC Malaysia (formerly known as the Multimedia Super Corridor in Malaysia).
MDeC also now directs and oversees Digital Malaysia. This is the nation’s programme to forge ahead in embracing the global digital revolution.
It will drive wealth creation and enhance quality-of-life by harnessing and building upon Malaysia’s varied ICT initiatives. This will result in a nation that connects and empowers government, businesses and citizens through a vibrant and demand-focused digital ecosystem. From February 2012 to August 2013 (1 year 7 months) MalaysiaFounder and CEO @ My personal consulting firm providing business acceleration services for companies seeking market entry or business restructuring in Asia.
Clients include :
• Multimedia Development Corporation, Malaysia – National ICT Authority for Malaysian Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC)
• MediaCo, Dubai – In relation to a new Tier 4 data centre
• Reach Telecom, Kuwait – Middle Eastern telecom investment group
• Baraka Telecom, Malaysia – Asia’s first mobile virtual network enaber (MVNE)
• Salamfone, Malaysia – World’s first shariah compliant MVNO telecom operator
• Wipro, India – A leading ICT BPO / SSO company
• Asia Carbon, Singapore – In relation to carbon trading in energy
• Asia Risk – Zuellig Group risk management consultancy
• CRICT, China – Management consulting in telecoms & education
• World Outsourcing Providers Association – Not for profit global advisory body
• BSEEN International, Ireland – Global ICT sales and marketing incubation company From May 2008 to February 2012 (3 years 10 months) SingaporeCEO, Asia @ Carried a business revenue target of US$ 120m and achieved US$ 180m ; converted a 80% product business into a 80% services business; moved employee satisfaction from ranked 36 to rank 2 globally. And had a lot of fun ! From October 2005 to April 2008 (2 years 7 months) MalaysiaChief Executive @ Converted the in house Sampoerna ICT shared services cost centre supporting 65000 employees and 15 countries to a hybrid shared outsourced profit center in 6 months. Assisted in the divestment of the parent Sampoerna company to Philip Morris for USD 5.2 billion cash deal 6 months later. From April 2004 to October 2005 (1 year 7 months) Chief Executive @ An data center operator providing hosting services across Asia. We built this from scratch and finally exited via a trade sale.
Concurrently I was involved in running or restructuring :
Keppel Communications - telecom infrastructure & services
CallBiz - call centre services JV with Dun & Bradstreet
ASP1 - software application company JV with Computer Associates
Harmony Telecoms - JV with Telstra From March 2000 to March 2004 (4 years 1 month) SingaporeRegion Head, Asean @ Integrated Italian Olivetti into American Wang Computers for South East Asia, then integrated the new combined unit into Getronics KPN a year later. From January 1999 to February 2000 (1 year 2 months) MalaysiaCountry Head, Malaysia @ Started 3Com in Malaysia, several years later went on to head up their Strategic Projects division across Asia Pacific. From January 1995 to December 1998 (4 years) MalaysiaSoftware Consultant @ Hard core technology consultant .. beard to chest and thick glasses and all to look the part when young .. handled some of their largest and most strategic technology setups in Asia .. before realizing the sales guys were making all the money .. From December 1984 to December 1994 (10 years 1 month) New Zealand & Malaysia
B.Soc.Sc., Computer Science, Management @ University of Waikato From 1982 to 1984 Science Stream, A Levels @ Anderson, Ipoh, Malaysia From 1980 to 1981 Science Stream, O Levels @ Sultan Yussuf School From 1975 to 1979 Michael Warren is skilled in: Restructuring, Strategic Partnerships, Start-ups, Strategy Development, Business Modeling, Government Procurement, Strategy, Information Technology, Mergers, Business Development, Business Strategy, Outsourcing, Management Consulting, Management, Entrepreneurship, Telecommunications, Business Intelligence, Strategic Planning, Project Planning, Organizational..., Mobile Devices, Leadership, Negotiation, Change Management, Program Management, Business Transformation, Business Process..., Business Alliances, Business Process, Sales Management, Product Management, IT Strategy, Data Center, New Business Development, SaaS, Vendor Management, Enterprise Software, IT Outsourcing, Integration, Mergers & Acquisitions, Business Planning, Cloud Computing, Go-to-market Strategy, Consulting, Networking, Business Analysis, Integrated Marketing, E-commerce, Team Management, Executive Management