CEO | Interim CEO/COO | Outside Director | Consultant @ The O'Hara Company
Fractional CMOs | UK & Global Chief Marketing Officers | Part-time & interim (marketing) expertise @ gigCMO
Chief Executive Officer @ TechnologyAdvice
Colorado State University
Expert in creating and leading strong teams. History driving shareholder value providing sustainable and scalable bottom-line increases for both domestic and international companies with revenues that range from early stage to companies to those with more than a billion dollars. Turnaround specialist with proficiency helping restore employee confidence; struggling business models; re-engineering financial teams, processes, & capital
Expert in creating and leading strong teams. History driving shareholder value providing sustainable and scalable bottom-line increases for both domestic and international companies with revenues that range from early stage to companies to those with more than a billion dollars. Turnaround specialist with proficiency helping restore employee confidence; struggling business models; re-engineering financial teams, processes, & capital structures; compensation & recruiting strategies; sales teams & business development. Industries include – software/technology, product development, marketing/research/content, private equity/venture capital, retail/eCommerce, and consumer products.
Chief Operating Officer @ From November 2014 to Present (1 year 2 months) Greater Philadelphia AreaBoard Member @ From October 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) Greater Philadelphia AreaMember @ From 2014 to 2015 (1 year) Principal @ The O’Hara Company – advising domestic and international firms, venture capital funds, start-ups, technology, media and higher-ed. Disciplines include interim CEO, COO & CMO assignments, change management, capital development, revenue generation and M&A. Areas of concentration include eCommerce, media, staff development, variable compensation design, lead-generation, client acquisition, mobile apps/marketing, SEO, SEM, performance marketing, business intelligence, research, web-site marketing, social media, software and digital content strategies.
Recent consulting assignments include - development & strategy advisor to Thinaire, a company specializing in mobile engagement through radio frequency mobile-marketing on-ramps including NFC and Beacons/iBeacon; business development partner at TreveriMarket; acting CEO for eCommerce reverse auction portal, Yumani.com; USA operations/marketing advisor for Monterrey, Mexico based digital content pioneer, IndigoMEDIA; marketing and advisor to a mobile security software company.
Past CPG and Media clients include, Scott Paper, Smith Kline, Rhone Poulenc, Gannett, NBC, CBS, Village Voice (New Times) Media, Philadelphia Inquirer, plus numerous local radio and television stations across the USA. From January 2007 to October 2014 (7 years 10 months) Executive Vice President & Managing Director @ World’s leading service provider helping colleges and universities find, enroll and retain students. President of Integrated Markets and Technology division, which included four operating units of the company; graduate education, international recruitment, lead management software, and research:
• Turnaround of graduate and international divisions, which had experienced significant losses. Turned cash-flow positive in 8 months. EBITDA, 28 months later grew to 61%.
• Executive sponsor of $6 million re-engineering of core technology operating systems. Expanded offerings of software channel with inquiry management tools, LeadWatchLive and BrandWatchLive improving revenues by 37.5%, EBITDA by 213% in 2011.
• Developed international portal, UniversitiesAbroad.com, to attract and convert top international candidates to US universities; Re-built StudyAbroad.com channel, increasing sales by 100% in 24 months.
• Grew revenue by 43% at LeadWatchLive, a premier lead management platform.
• M&A - Successfully spun-off enrollment management. From April 2009 to May 2012 (3 years 2 months) President and Publisher @ Start-up digital and print content division of of one of the nations largest privately held media companies, Advance, owner of Condé Nast and Fairchild magazine groups. Tomato Media was chartered to develop web-to-print specialty magazine and digital media products, integrating online technology with print magazines. Created three marquis web/print titles; GardenPLATE, a bi-monthly food magazine; PremierHOMES, a real estate magazine targeted at the top 5% income bracket; and PremierBEAUTY, an upscale beauty makeover magazine. GardenPLATE was cash-flow break-even in 14 months. From 2005 to February 2007 (2 years) CEO & Board Director @ 3D Pipeline - Premier enterprise Software Company with Physics-based rendering engine used in post-secondary education/training, USA defense contracts, flight/underwater simulation, surgical medical training, sensor development and educational research.
XMPie - a provider of software for creation of highly effective one-to-one cross-media marketing campaigns that empower marketing and digital printing enterprises to effectively leverage customer databases. Headquartered in New York with operations in the US, Japan and Israel. Acquired by Xerox.
3 Path, a software company, developed a peer-to-peer delivery system that bypassed traditional electronic delivery protocols. 3 Path's unique encrypted delivery, back-end analytics and ability to deliver extremely large files faster than any other technology, made it an ideal candidate for acquisition by Cadmus Corporation.
Bla-Bla.com/Site Launch - Large online Internet entertainment network and software company featuring 400 website partners in the US and abroad with 22MM unique visitors, and 7 billion page views; included a patented website development software suite of tools designed to increase website traffic, stickiness, and community usability. Engineered exit for investors to UGO.com. From 2000 to 2005 (5 years) President and Publisher @ Alternative weekly newspaper and web site based in New York City. From August 1999 to August 2000 (1 year 1 month) General Manager, COO @ Publisher of 18 weekly newspapers, web, digital online media and magazines. Created the online operating group, one of the earliest digital newspaper adopters on the web, producer of websites around the world and pioneer in eCommerce. From October 1990 to August 1999 (8 years 11 months) SVP, Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) @ Largest automotive aftermarket and service provider in the US. From 1986 to 1989 (3 years)
Michael O'Hara is skilled in: Start-ups, Lead Generation, Entrepreneurship, Strategy, Online Marketing, Leadership, Strategic Planning, Business Development, Management, Marketing Strategy, Social Media Marketing, Marketing, Analytics, E-commerce, SEO
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension