Experienced CTO/CIO and General Manager.
Global Media, Telecommunications and Information Technology executive with 25 years experience developing and executing product development and information systems strategies in Australia, USA and Asia. Extensive experience gained in Media, Telecommunications and Service Provider environments, during different business cycles including growth, mergers and acquisitions, as well as downsizing. An established record as
Experienced CTO/CIO and General Manager.
Global Media, Telecommunications and Information Technology executive with 25 years experience developing and executing product development and information systems strategies in Australia, USA and Asia. Extensive experience gained in Media, Telecommunications and Service Provider environments, during different business cycles including growth, mergers and acquisitions, as well as downsizing. An established record as a leader and business partner who collaborates with other executives to simplify technology and ensure that technology investment generates real shareholder value. Extensive project management, product development and operations management experience, in the areas of Digital Advertising, CRM Implementation, IPTV, Wireless and Fixed Voice and Broadband infrastructure deployment. An energetic leader with a passion for people development who has a demonstrated ability to lead and work in matrix based global environments.
Group Technology Manager @ Snakk Media is an Australian specialist digital advertising agency and network providing digital advertising solutions for mobile devices in both M-Sites and Applications. Snakks’ customers include most APAC major advertising agencies. Snakk provides publisher inventory by representing local and international publishers via premium advertising networks, ad exchanges, as well as direct publisher representation. As Group Technology Manager, duties include:
• Planning and day to day operations of all 3rd party ad-serving platforms, including Agency and Publisher Ad-servers, click tracking, conversion tracking and app download tracking platforms, Rich media serving platforms, Demand Side Platforms and Geographical ad-serving platforms.
• Management of internal business support systems including CRM, insertion order workflow, customer reporting systems as well as integrations between platforms.
• Management of a number of external software development and integration projects.
• Management of Snakk’s advertising creative and production team
• Management of Technology support team. From June 2014 to Present (1 year 7 months) Managing Director @ Recently held the role of Managing Director at Nomadix as well as CTO of the parent company DOCOMO interTouch, before returning to Sydney Australia for family reasons.
Nomadix is a manufacturer of public internet access gateways, that was founded in 1997 by Dr Leonard Kleinrock, one of the true pioneers in the development of the internet. Nomadix was acquired by DOCOMO interTouch in 2008, and continues to operate as a subsidiary company.
As Managing Director of Nomadix I held overall responsibility for growing the company P&L, which was achieved through revenue growth as well as cost optimization. My achievements at Nomadix included
• Complete P&L responsibility for delivering financial results. Achieved 20% yearly revenue growth and 22% EBIT margin. This was achieved by development of channel sales in the USA, EMEA and APAC regions, as well as optimisation of R&D and operations costs.
• Oversight of global channel sales and marketing activities. This included implementation of a global software licensing model to increase recurring revenue to 50% of company revenue.
• HR responsibility for all USA staff members, including regular performance reviews and development of retention strategies for key team members.
• Ongoing product road-map development and management of engineering resources primarily in embedded software (C, C++ running on VxWorks) as well as Java. Launched 3 new gateway products increasing revenue by 20%.
• Management of legal affairs including major patent prosecution and enforcement actions against competitors, resulting in multi-million dollar settlements.
• Also retained position as CTO of DOCOMO interTouch during this period, managing Singapore based software development teams, project management office and product managers. From November 2010 to December 2013 (3 years 2 months) Greater Los Angeles AreaChief Technology Officer @ I held the CTO position in Singapore from May 2007 until November 2010, and then worked concurrently as group CTO as well as the Managing Director of the Nomadix subsidiary in the USA.
Achievements as CTO included:
• Accountability for Triple play product roadmap development and delivery, from business case development through to service delivery and support. In 3 years, 90% of customer installations were migrated to new systems,
• Project management of strategic integration projects arising out of the acquisition of Maginet Interactive, including call centre and network operations centre consolidation and relocation, implementation of new company financial management systems (Oracle e-Business), migration to consolidated email platform (Google Enterprise) and single CRM (Sales Force.com). The acquisition included 500+ staff and entities in 40 locations.
• Integration of geographically dispersed development teams into coherent teams based in Singapore and Los Angeles, and established and implemented common development tools and methodologies.
• Management of software development teams and systems integration specialists, to deliver new products and services in line with company objectives, including a new interactive IPTV product, High Speed Internet Access Products, Voice products, and customer reporting portals for the global hospitality industry.
• Management of all internal IT systems including business support systems and processes.
• Preparation and management of information technology and product development CAPEX and OPEX budgets, up to $20M per year.
• People and performance management of various product development and software development teams located in Singapore and USA.
• Re-engineering of all internal and external customer support processes through the introduction of ITIL processes.
• Implementation of a company wide standardised project management methodology and service delivery framework based on Prince 2. From April 2007 to December 2013 (6 years 9 months) SingaporeChief Technology Officer @ PBA was a wireless broadband company the deployed the iBurst network in Australia.
The company was acquired by Commander in 2006.
Achievements as CTO included:
• Managing the engineering and IT team staff in all technical aspects of the development of the i-Burst wireless broadband network for Personal Broadband Australia, including radio base station planning, design and rollout, core network design and implementation (Cisco 3GPP2 PDSN architecture), as well as development and implementation of operational and business support systems including network management and wholesale billing systems.
• Management and oversight of all technical processes within the PBA i-Burst network including planning, design, implementation, as well as ongoing operations and support, through the use of a mix of in house resources as well as contractors and outsource partners.
• Management of key suppliers including equipment vendors, software suppliers and outsource development and maintenance partners.
• CAPEX and OPEX budget preparation and management.
• Technical training of outsource partners. From April 2003 to April 2007 (4 years 1 month) Sydney, AustraliaManager - Radio Network Design @ As manager of Radio Network Design, I held a key position in developing the Vodafone mobile network in Australia.
. Day to day management of the Radio Network Engineering department, that consisted of 25+ professional engineers and support staff. The department was accountable for the planning and design of cellular coverage Australia wide for the Vodafone GSM networks.
• Business case development for new coverage investment in cooperation with marketing.
• Preparation of short term and long term engineering plans and radio capacity plans and associated CAPEX and OPEX budgets.
• Business case justification of 1800 and 2100 MHz spectrum purchases for GSM1800 and 3G deployments.
• Network capacity planning with other stakeholders including transmission design and core network design teams.
• Detailed network design for Macro, Micro and Pico base stations in conjunction with site acquisition teams.
• Preparation of major tenders, including the Australian Government Rural Highways coverage project which was won by Vodafone.
• Management of infrastructure deployment for the Sydney 2000 Olympic games.
• Liaison with major infrastructure vendors on pricing and future forecasting.
• Career and professional development for departmental staff.
• Technical due diligence in a number of potential M&A activities. From April 1999 to April 2003 (4 years 1 month)
Diploma, Management @ Macquarie University - Graduate School of Business From 2009 to 2010 BE, Electrical Enginering @ University of Sydney From 1983 to 1986 Michael Keaney is skilled in: GSM, Networking, Telecommunications, Management, Wireless, VoIP, Mobile Devices, Wireless Networking, Product Management, Cisco Technologies, Triple Play, IP, Network Design, Network Architecture, VOD
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension