Software engineer with broad range of software development, systems engineering, and research experience in real-time embedded systems, real-time data management, high-performance spatial indexing, pattern detection and recognition, electronic warfare, and applied data mining. Comfortable working on a team as a leader or a contributor, able to work in both production and research environments. Inventor with 1 patent
Software engineer with broad range of software development, systems engineering, and research experience in real-time embedded systems, real-time data management, high-performance spatial indexing, pattern detection and recognition, electronic warfare, and applied data mining. Comfortable working on a team as a leader or a contributor, able to work in both production and research environments. Inventor with 1 patent allowed, 1 under review.
Senior Software Engineer @ Develop back-end services code in Scala using functional programming techniques. These services will both query existing databases and transform unstructured data (e.g. search engine results) into structured data for populating databases to support complex queries used to gather information about corporations for sales lead purposes. Also develop Scala code for machine learning (clustering) of business data using the random forest algorithm. From June 2015 to Present (6 months) Austin, Texas AreaPrincipal Software Engineer @ Performing maintenance programming in Java on ASPEN, a radar signal analysis tool suite that is used by technical electronic intelligence (TECH ELINT) analysts to discover radar system capabilities and functions.
Designed GUI front end as well as server-side back end for a radar scan simulator as part of a new ASPEN radar scan analysis and modeling tool. From March 2014 to June 2015 (1 year 4 months) Austin, Texas AreaSenior Principal Engineer @ Designed and developed software modifications in C++ (QNX RTOS, RTI DDS) for the AN/TPQ-50 radar to enable it to perform simultaneous target tracking and air search missions.
Designed and developed a Java persistence mechanism (High-performance Persistence Framework or HPF, patent application in process) for mining large volumes of electromagnetic data for signals of interest. Resulted in much higher performance than previous approach based on commercial relational databases.
Designed and developed Java chemical classification software for performing analog identification matching (AIM) to classify a new chemical against an existing database of chemicals to determine potential carcinogenic or toxicity hazards. Reduced analysis time from days to fraction of a second, presented this work to the analytic chemistry community at QSAR 2008. Led to SRC being awarded the ChemACE contract from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Authored requirements for, designed and developed electromagnetic statistical evaluation tools in Java (Windows) for detection of threat signals in battle theaters. Reduced analysis time from days to hours.
Designed and developed cyber data mining software in Java (Mac OS X) based on HPF for the Air Force Computer Emergency Response Team (AFCERT) at Lackland AFB. Time to detect intrusions, exfiltrations, etc. reduced from 24+ hours to seconds. Successfully deployed turnkey system to AFCERT
Designed and developed Domain Specific Language (DSL), the Radar Signal Description Language (RSDL), for modeling complex radar signals. Designed and developed the Concurrent Classification and Deinterleaving Machine (CCDM) software in Java, a novel state-machine based approach for concurrent emitter deinterleaving and classification as well as simulation (patent awarded)
Received Several Achievement Awards and an Inventor’s Award From October 2005 to September 2013 (8 years) Principal Engineer @ Designed and developed new real-time software in C++ (Embedded Linux) for next-generation prototype of the Airport Surface Detection Equipment Model X, or ASDE-X, multilateration system
Designed and developed R*-tree based spatial data management software in C++ (Solaris) for use in air traffic control Traffic Information Systems Broadcast (TIS-B) demonstration software
Developed real-time message processing software in C++ (VxWorks) for Alaska Capstone Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) air traffic control system
Performed time series data filtering research for medical applications and developed SCADA software for water quality monitoring system From June 2002 to October 2005 (3 years 5 months) Principal Engineer @ AN/SLY-2 Program (9/1999 - 10/2001)
- Software team leader for the Emitter Classification (EC) software for the AN/SLY-2 surface ship electronic warfare (EW) system.
- Developed new emitter classification software in Ada95 and C++ (VxWorks PPC) based on pulse-to-pulse modulation, became the systems engineer for the EC software and wrote the software specification for the classification subsystem
- Worked with EW analysts to develop optimal spatial indexing strategy based on R* trees for emitter signal models from the system threat library
- Modified FIRM object database engine for use in this system to manage emitter threat library and system track file within real-time constraints From June 1999 to October 2001 (2 years 5 months) Syracuse, New York AreaSenior Software Engineer @ FIRM Program
- Software team leader for the Functionally Integrated Resource Manager (FIRM), a next-generation real-time object database program run by the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) at Wright-Patterson AFB, intended for use in F-22 avionics
- Developed concurrency control software, internal data structures, and top-level API specification and code in Ada95
- Represented my employer as a voting member of the Object Data Management Group (ODMG) in development of an Ada95 binding to the ODMG object model
- Co-edited object model (Chapter 2) of ODMG standard
- Represented Lockheed Martin to military standardization groups (Real Time Architecture Group (RTAG), Database Interface Standards Working Group (DISWG)) From September 1994 to September 1999 (5 years 1 month) Syracuse, New York AreaSoftware Engineer @ AN/BSY-2 Seawolf Combat System Program
- Developed high-speed indexing (AVL tree) software in Ada for the real time database manager (RTDM) database engine for the AN/BSY-2 (Seawolf) combat system
- Designed and developed persistent storage software for RTDM in Ada, including threaded B*-trees for optimal disk-based data indexing
- Developed caching algorithm for persistent data access, added code for it to the RTDM software
- Gave numerous presentations on the RTDM software to the customer, developed test plan to ensure deterministic performance under all loading conditions, conducted formal record run real-time performance tests with Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC)
- Assisted in development of commercial version of the RTDM software From September 1991 to September 1994 (3 years 1 month) Syracuse, New York AreaRadar Engineer @ AN/FPS-117 Seek Igloo program and AN/FPS-118 OTH-B program
- Developed multi-scan correlator software for the AN/FPS-117 radar (Seek Igloo program)
- Developed signal processing software for AN/FPS-118 (Over The Horizon Backscatter, or OTH-B) radar that would allow the system to track ships as well as aircraft. This required development of special data structures and algorithms to process near-zero Doppler data in high noise (Bragg line) conditions
- Developed improved tracking algorithms for AN/FPS-117 radar
- Graduated from Edison Engineering Program and Advanced Course in Computers during this time while also earning a MS in Computer Engineering from Syracuse University From June 1986 to October 1991 (5 years 5 months) Syracuse, New York Area
MS, Computer Engineering @ Syracuse University From 1986 to 1989 BS, Electrical Engineering @ Clarkson University From 1982 to 1986 Michael Card is skilled in: Software Development, Systems Engineering, Embedded Systems, Software Engineering, Algorithms, C++, Signal Processing, System Architecture, Java, Radar, Software Design, Digital Signal Processors, C, Object Oriented Design, Systems Design
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension