Global Product and Corporate Marketing @ Hortonworks Inc
Global Corporate Product Marketing and Messaging @ Citrix
Post-Grad Studies, Continuous Education @
Colorado Tech University
Matthew Morgan is the vice president of global product and alliance marketing at Hortonworks. Hortonworks® (NASDAQ: HDP) is the leading contributor to and provider of Apache™ Hadoop® for the enterprise, and it’s mission is to establish Hadoop as the foundational technology of the modern enterprise data architecture – to empower all organizations to maximize the value of
Matthew Morgan is the vice president of global product and alliance marketing at Hortonworks. Hortonworks® (NASDAQ: HDP) is the leading contributor to and provider of Apache™ Hadoop® for the enterprise, and it’s mission is to establish Hadoop as the foundational technology of the modern enterprise data architecture – to empower all organizations to maximize the value of information.
Morgan has a 20 year history as a successful silicon-valley marketing and product executive, leading marketing strategy and execution for many of the valley’s largest, most complicated cloud, SaaS, and big data businesses. Immediately before Hortonworks, Morgan served at Citrix as vice president of corporate product marketing, where he oversaw corporate product marketing for all lines of business. With products that include Netscaler, XenMobile, CloudPlatform, XenDesktop, XenApp, XenServer, GotoMeeting, Sharefile, and GotoAssist, Citrix has become a key player in enterprise mobility. In his time at Citrix, the company grew revenues from a $2.6B baseline in FY12 to an estimated $3.3B in FY15.
Before Citrix, Morgan served for over three years as vice president of product marketing and strategy for HP Software’s $2.9B IT Management and Cloud business. This complex portfolio contained over 10,000 SKUs and product lines acquired through the Opware, Mercury, Peregrine, Stratavia, SPI Dynamics acquisitions.
For four years previously, Morgan also served as senior vice president, CMO, and corporate officer for Blueprint, leading worldwide marketing including corporate marketing, analyst relations, global product marketing, product management, and global demand generation. Morgan is also broadly associated with his ten years at Mercury Interactive, where he led product marketing for all quality and performance management products as the company grew to over $1B in revenue and was acquired in 2006 for $4.5B by HP.
Specialties:Mobile Applications, DevOps, SaaS Solutions, Cloud, Marketing Automation, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media Mkt, Building Industry Consortiums, Corporate Marketing, Press/Analyst Relations, Pricing, Packaging, Positioning, Campaign Strategy, Product Marketing, Technical Sales Management, Product Development, Competitive Analysis, Project Management, Business Planning, Market Trending, Internationalization, Partner and Sales Enablement, and Inspirational Leadership.
Vice President, Product and Alliance Marketing @ I am fortunate to serve as the vice president of product, alliance, and channel marketing for Hortonworks, responsible for product marketing, alliance marketing, channel marketing, industry marketing, solution marketing, competitive intelligence, global sales enablement, and overall product launch governance. Hortonworks is an amazing company that is driving one of the most important technology transformations in the industry. From 2015 to Present (less than a year) Santa ClaraVice President, Corporate Product Marketing and Messaging @ I had the privilege of serving as the executive leader of all product marketing at Citrix during a time where the company grew revenues from a baseline of $2.6B in FY12 to an estimated $3.3B in FY15. Citrix's cloud infrastructure, mobility management, virtualization, and SaaS portfolio has grown to 330,000 current customers, over 100,000,000 users, and has built a tremendous partner ecosystem.
- Led the organization that conceived, defined, validated and launched key Mobile Workspace category definition and highly successful Citrix Workspace Suite, completely revamping corporate online messaging and driving an industry conversation toward enterprise mobility. As part, Citrix won leadership positions in all key market quadrants/waves, including Application Delivery Controllers, Enterprise Mobility Management, Enterprise File Sync and Share, Enterprise Web Collaboration, and Desktop and Application Virtualization.
- Owned all corporate product messaging for complex portfolio in mobility, cloud, and SaaS growth categories, building integrated marketing plan consisting of 12-month forward casting of announcements, related corporate stories, plays, and marketing events. Owned the Citrix-wide product launch process, managing the teams that chaired the global PLR and PAC (NPI) process that delivered over forty major and minor launches during my tenure.
- Owned build-out of company-first industry vertical focused marketing effort, staffed with a diversified team of talent delivering deep industry knowledge across healthcare, financial services, manufacturing, and education. Drove first-ever integrated vertical practice business plan, with target revenue, sales plays, announcements, event calendar, and clear KPIs.
- Built company-first integrated technical marketing function, matching stage and sales demos with key sales plays and messages.
- Served as spokesperson for the company and highly ranked corporate blogger. From 2013 to 2015 (2 years) San Francisco Bay AreaVice President, IT Management and Cloud Product Marketing @ I enjoyed over three years as an executive at HP Software, including serving as the executive leader and general manager of the world-wide product marketing organization for IT Management and Cloud, a $2.9B software and SaaS business (with over $1B in operating profit) that delivers critical solutions to enable organizations to build, deploy, and manage software applications across cloud and hybrid IT. The organization consisted of 60 product executives that drove global go-to-market strategy and execution. The portfolio included solutions acquired through the Opsware, Mercury, Peregine, Kintana, and other acquisitions, as well as organically developed IP (including HP Continuous Delivery Automation, HP Cloud Service Automation, HP Agile Manager, HP Service Anywhere, HP Application Lifecycle Management, and HP Mobile App Development and Testing products).
- Named the FY12 HP MVP (Most Valuable Player) in HP Software for exceptional leadership, business-unit performance and innovation excellence. This pan-HP recognition is given to top 1% of performers and is HP's highest commendation.
- Launched ~50 releases of products into highly competitive markets, including HP's pure-play SaaS products (including HP Agile Manager, HP Service Anywhere, HP Performance Anywhere, HP Cloud Service Automation, HP Anywhere, HP Operations Analytics)
- Implemented award winning Hubspot enterprise inbound marketing strategy, almost doubling organic web traffic in a year, driving alignment between product marketing and corporate marketing web teams to ensure a unified content strategy. We increased online video content 8X, blog views 14X, and infographic marketing 8X. Editorial and content owner for HP Discover Performance opt-in E-zine, helping drive 1,200,000 subscribers.
- Top spokesperson for HP Software at all major events, developing and delivering top-ranked keynotes to thousands of customers, analysts, sales teams, and prospects. From 2010 to 2013 (3 years) Sunnyvale, CASVP, Chief Marketing Officer @ I enjoyed four years as an executive officer responsible for the Blueprint's world-wide marketing and product management organization, including leading corporate marketing, product marketing, product management, strategic alliances, and AR/PR. I had an opportunity to work with amazing people on a global scale.
- Drove corporate marketing strategy for company rebranding and repositioning, including conception of the company and product line name (Blueprint and the Requirements Center suite), defining multiple generations of Blueprint’s go-to-market positioning strategy, and shaped all Blueprint marketing and sales positioning materials. Conceived the “Requirements Lifecycle” positioning, helping shake up the traditional requirements marketplace.
- Delivered a best-of-breed digital marketing strategy, including leading the teams that designed, authored, and implemented web properties Blueprintsys.com and Requirements.net. Implemented search engine optimization, online video , direct email marketing, podcasts, blogs, and social media (include LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.)
- Led corporate analyst relations for Voke, Forrester, Gartner, Aberdeen, 360 Group, and others. Developed and delivered presentations that successfully claimed industry accolades such as the CODiE Award (2010), Gartner Cool Vendor (2008), the Jolt Excellence Award (2009), the Deloitte Fast 50 Award, the ST&P Best Solution (2008), and the voke Innovators Award (2009). Worked directly with independent analysts to develop over a dozen market analyst reports.
- Delivered and launched seven major product releases over three years, including Blueprint Requirements Center 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010, the Blueprint Reader, the Blueprint Definition Server, and the cloud-based Blueprint Resource Center.
- Conceived and launched the Requirements.net Consortium, the industry’s largest consortium focused on the advancement of business analysis. From January 2007 to December 2010 (4 years) Senior Director, WW Product Marketing @ I was fortunate enough to lead the WW product marketing organization for all Mercury's quality and performance management solutions, a $1B software business that was recognized as the clear market leader by Voke, Gartner, IDC, Ovum, Forrester, and others.
- Building and managing a global team of product marketing directors responsible for global product marketing for all Automated Software Quality (ASQ) solutions including term, perpetual, and SaaS offerings.
- Responsible for developing and driving years of deal-acceleration programs, campaign agendas, outbound positioning materials, whitepapers, developing the global QM price list, webinars, analyst relations, global sales enablement and training, whitespace analysis, lead-generation seminars, and customer facing positioning creation.
- Responsible for leading product management organization that defined and launched the first three generations of HP Quality Center, driving rapid adoption that resulted with capturing of 50% marketshare, delivering double-digit revenue and customer growth in all regions.
- Led organization that delivered innovative packaging, positioning, pricing, and product roadmap that successfully transitioned Mercury from WinRunner to QuickTest Professional in 2003 -- resulted in license revenue growth of over 1500% for QuickTest Professional to over $120M in yearly revenue.
- Widely recognized as the father of Business Process Testing (BPT), a solution that delivered scriptless test automation to non-technical users. Led the teams that drove the conception, design, development, pricing, packaging, positioning, and successful commercialization of the product line. BPT is Mercury’s fourth generation testing system offered for both private cloud or SaaS deployments.
- Recognized as the Mercury Most Valuable Player, 2004 From 2002 to 2007 (5 years) Manager, Technical Sales @ I was lucky enough to work with some of the best sales professionals in the industry to build and manage technical sales for a $100M business unit of Mercury Interactive. My team was recognized as one of the best in Mercury
- Hand picking, hiring, and training around seventeen senior pre-sales consultants which supported the Southeast sales territory for Mercury Interactive. Easy member of my organization carried a large, multi-million dollar product and services quota.
- Instituted a hands-on, business driven technical sales approach, responsible for large strategic technical sales wins at east coast accounts.
- Relied upon to develop and deliver presentations to the largest opportunities, directly responsible for multi-million dollar technical wins at BellSouth, Coke, Bank of America, Home Depot, AT&T, Citi, The Hartford, JP Morgan, McKesson, NCR, Oracle, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and many others.
- Consistently beat targets, winning top-performing recognition for four years in a row, including Mercury Presidents Club 1999, Chairman's Club Winner in 2000, 2001, 2002, From 1998 to 2002 (4 years) Manager, Information Technology @ I am proud to have been part of the "pre-Worldcom" MCI, leading IT software development teams in Colorado Springs and in St Louis.
- Led the teams responsible for several successful implementations of internal software systems including MCI's Local Server initiative, MCI Siebel Customer Relationship Management rollout.
- Pursued advanced process improvement, leveraging automated testing solutions, requirements design solutions, and early versions of JAVA.
- Leveraged outsourcing vendors (Accenture, Ciber, AeroTek) for staffing requirements.
- Built first MCI Intranet IT Project Portal to communicate project status via a dashboard and to encourage collaboration.
- Awarded Snowmass Ski Vacation (1997) for successful implementation on Siebel CRM, Recognized with 5 "All Star Awards" for successful, on-budget, projects. From 1996 to 1998 (2 years) Software Engineer @ I was fortunate to get my first software engineering job at QMS, makers on the world's first color laser printer. I worked with great people and learned a ton.
- Performed as a member of the Major Accounts Support team, identifying defects and providing changes to complex embedded systems of laser printers.
- Responsible for pre-release testing of ColorScript 1000 Magicolor, QMS 860, QMS 1660, and others
- Awarded QMS Star Team Awards, 1994, 1995 From 1993 to 1996 (3 years)
Bachelor of Science (BSc) @ University of South Alabama From 1991 to 1996 Post-Grad Studies, Continuous Education @ Colorado Tech University Matthew M. is skilled in: Digital Marketing, Product Management, Product Marketing, Corporate Marketing, Business Development, Application Lifecycle..., Enterprise Software, Eloqua, Software Sales, Mobile Applications, Marketing..., Public Relations, Analyst Relations, Website Redesign, Product Life Cycle..., Requirements Management, Product Launch, Product Development, Public Speaking, Marketing Strategy, Social Media Marketing, Product Strategy, Campaign Management, Sales Enablement, Sales Engineering, Salesforce.com, Marketing Automation, Email Marketing, Performance Management, Performance Testing, High Performance Teams, Cross-functional Team..., Thought Leadership, Strategic Leadership, Executive Management, Software Development, Corporate Websites, Website Promotion, Google Adwords, Corporate Storytelling, Marketing, Product Lifecycle..., SaaS, Cloud Computing, Continuous Delivery, Campaign Launch, Software Industry, Agile Methodologies, Pre-sales, Go-to-market Strategy