Senior Marketing Manager - Brand, Value & Loyalty (Fixed term contract) @ Sainsbury's
Head of Brand Marketing - Convenience & Hospitality @ Marks and Spencer
CRM & Loyalty Campaign Lead @ Marks and Spencer
Retail & FMCG strategic customer marketer with a breadth of experience in shopper marketing, retail strategy and managing category leading brands . An experienced & motivational people manager with direct experience of leading and galvanizing high performing teams. A highly organised Project Manager within Retail and major FMCG companies, who is an excellent communicator and opportunity creator.
Retail & FMCG strategic customer marketer with a breadth of experience in shopper marketing, retail strategy and managing category leading brands . An experienced & motivational people manager with direct experience of leading and galvanizing high performing teams. A highly organised Project Manager within Retail and major FMCG companies, who is an excellent communicator and opportunity creator. Persistent and flexible approach to the mutually beneficial achievement of business plans, and personal goals of colleagues, suppliers and customers. I'm passionate about customers and retail, and creating compelling, relevant and innovative solutions across the customer journey.
Marketing Manager @ From September 2015 to Present (2 months) London, United KingdomHead of Shopper Activation @ The Shopper Activation Team have the responsibility of creating and implementing best in class customer retail activation along the full shopper purchase journey - from Online through to in store. We understand the J&J strategy, our Brands strategy and retailers strategy to create innovative solutions that unlock the barriers to purchase to drive penetration and loyalty within UK Retail.
• Lead a high performing Shopper Activation team, with training, mentoring and collaboration at the heart.
• Manage and lead the Marketing Activation budget, and allocate and prioritise funds based on our through-the-line strategy.
• Created and implemented a long term Shopper Strategy and road map for the team.
• Lead the retail activation & Online strategy with our customers, to ensure we drive J&J’s brand strategies & category vision.
• Use Shopper Insights to inspire customers whilst working closely with internal and external teams to deliver a best in class customer experience.
• Deliver “Best in Class” retail/online activation across the shopper purchase journey.
• Develop and enhance key relationships with senior stakeholders, to MD level, and with our external customers to drive positive collaboration, influence & negotiation.
• Successfully tendered and recruited a long term contract for a new Shopper Agency.
• Improved production & cost efficiencies, resulting in above forecast YTD cost savings.
• Developed, monitor and measure the team and agency KPI’s.
• Developed and lead a 1 year Customer Plan, and allocated budget, resource and activity as a result.
• Key focus on sustainability, and have hit and maintained target of 0% wastage at production.
• Translate Global Marketing Toolkits for the UK Market.
• Lead the development of the team & responsible for succession and career planning, training and building best in class marketing capabilities. From June 2014 to August 2015 (1 year 3 months) MaidenheadShopper Marketing Team Lead - Grocery @ Lead the Grocery Shopper Marketing team in the development of an annual shopper marketing strategy for UK Grocery & Online - creating competitive advantage through excellent activation of insight driven, innovative and effective activation campaigns aligned to GSK brand event priorities and bespoke retailer events
• Lead the Grocery Shopper Marketing team in the development of a shopper marketing programme - creating competitive advantage through excellent activation of insight driven, innovative and effective activation campaigns aligned to GSK brand event priorities and bespoke retailer events.
• Inspire and enthuse Grocery Customers to secure the best possible through-the-line engagement plan through direct contact strategy
• Tailor GSK’s brand campaigns by Grocery/Online format and demographic, based on insight and category expertise
• Excellent execution of plans aligned to customer’s strategy that secure best possible in-store feature, driving shopper engagement and conversion - awarded Tesco Award for Annual Brand Planning 2013, and “Best Shopper Marketing Manager” accolade by Tesco in 2013.
• Lead shopper research projects to develop shopper understanding, demonstrate shopper marketing thought leadership with Tesco and long term strategic plans (Commercial Planning Process)
• Maximise the return on investment on shopper marketing levers through a program of evaluation: monitor in-store execution, evaluate commercial and brand equity impact
• Inspire and build confidence in the value of shopper marketing with interfacing Sales and Marketing functions
• Manage 3rd party suppliers and deliver the activation plan on time within budget From May 2012 to May 2014 (2 years 1 month) London, United KingdomHead of Customer Marketing @ Leading the Customer Marketing team in the strategic launch of Sony Pictures DVD's in to the UK - including managing the UK launch of The Amazing Spiderman, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Smurfs and Men in Black.
• Manage the Customer Marketing team to build best in class retail activation across our UK Customers.
• Manage marketing budget of £8m
• Develop customer marketing strategy with team to drive the execution of POS, promotions & merchandising across in-store and on-line
• Work with Theatrical, LA Office, Agencies and Retailers to design, implement and execute insightful POS material
• Develop strategy to build & maximise relationships with key franchises, distributors, joint ventures and brand partners
• Movies directly worked on included the launch of The Amazing Spider-Man, Men in Black 3, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo & Arthur Christmas
• Build key relationships with brand partners across FMCG & toys including Nestle, Disney & Hasbro
• Work with the Northern European team to drive best practice at POS
• Develop and manage the customer marketing planning cycle From September 2011 to May 2012 (9 months) London, United KingdomCategory Planner & Marketing Project Manager @ Own the end-to-end development of Retail Category Plans, including managing the Corporate Event, Sub-Brand and Promotional activity and related cross-functional interfaces to deliver the budget within the corporate framework & agenda.
• Projects included the development and project management of supplier’s commercial propositions for co-branded activities in-store and shopper behaviour analysis.
• Promote and directly managed Sainsbury’s supplier’s involvement in all Events such as “Back to School” and “Happy Pets”, resulting in JS increasing category share in all these events.
• Develop the supplier proposition for all co-branded events
• Actively develop the full 3-year Business Unit Plan and Category Plans, through the end to end application of the Category Planning Process.
• Produce the promotional and customer activity plan for key category suppliers.
• Manage and own the Marketing Services Customer Plan.
• Work in collaboration with all Suppliers in designing and executing all Branded media in Sainsbury’s
• Manage and deliver media plans, through POS briefs, store communication & external media agencies.
• Manage and create in-store point of sale, provide copy and creative for the Sainsbury’s Magazine, Online, Internal Comm’s, PR and DM.
• Manage and chair all update and review sessions with the various internal and external stakeholders.
• Manage all third party agencies in each activity, and adhere to timescales and budget.
• Insight Projects include test marketing, eye tracking research & shopper behaviour analysis.
• Evaluate all project results and insight within a Post Implementation Review. From August 2007 to September 2011 (4 years 2 months) London, United Kingdom
BA Economic History @ University of Birmingham Matt Bates is skilled in: Shopper Marketing, Strategy, Cross-functional Team..., Marketing, Trade Marketing, Management, Retail, Categorization, Grocery, Customer Marketing, Budgets, FMCG, Customer Insight, Brand Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension