Executive Director, Customer Analytics at Wharton @ The Wharton School
VP, Retail Insights & Business Development @ IRI
Director of Analytics and Business Development @ Nielsen
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - College of Business
A collaborative, creative, insightful, marketing executive with over 20+ years of retail and consumer packaged goods experience. Expertise in identifying pricing, promotion, assortment, and product attribute levers to influence sales response. Areas of focus: shopper insights, growth strategy, brand & corporate positioning, loyalty programs, activation promotions, category management, merchandising, vendor collaboration, customer experience, data analytics, market and
A collaborative, creative, insightful, marketing executive with over 20+ years of retail and consumer packaged goods experience. Expertise in identifying pricing, promotion, assortment, and product attribute levers to influence sales response. Areas of focus: shopper insights, growth strategy, brand & corporate positioning, loyalty programs, activation promotions, category management, merchandising, vendor collaboration, customer experience, data analytics, market and channel research, and customer segmentation analysis. Other skills include: business development, project management, and strategic planning across multiple business functions (marketing, merchandising, supply chain, store operations, etc.). Ms. Purk is familiar working with design and implementation of in-store tests, CRM systems, POS and panel data, and creative agencies.
Director, Retail Consulting & Analytics @ Mary is part of the Retail Consulting & Analytics team which services North American's food, drug, discount, and mass market retailers on core business issues. RCA tackles topics ranging from growing local markets via customer acquisition and retention, ( loyalty and customer engagement strategies) to delivering strategic pricing and promotion business models. Mary has expertise in analyzing panel and store data and providing insights related to consumption, competition, and demographics. Projects include: pricing strategies, store clustering, assortment and localization offerings, and banner strategies. Most recently, Mary contributed to a global study on the outlook for Retailers in 2020. From June 2015 to Present (7 months) Greater Chicago AreaDirector @ Engaged client executives and consulting team in growth strategy initiatives focused on market assessments, customer loyalty and experience, shopper insights, supply chain efficiencies, and brand reputation. Expertise in cross-functional discovery workshops, customer relationship marketing, primary research design, and performance metrics. Results-driven leader with ability to drive cross-functional business objectives and lead executive teams to drive profitable growth. Areas of focus: food, drug, mass, C-store, specialty retailers, service providers (Nielsen, Catalina, CRM firms) and CPGs. McMillan Doolittle is an internationally recognized retail consulting firm and a member of the Ebeltoft Group.
-Wearable Technology - Global Assessment: Team member of international market assessment for distribution of this wearable technology product focused on the pet care and animal health industries. The product, a CES award winner, is currently launching in the U.S. market. Our team conducted market research in key regions including Japan, China, South Korea, EU, Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Argentina. Helped the client understand both the revenue opportunity as well as capability and infrastructure requirements and risks. From May 2014 to June 2015 (1 year 2 months) Founder and Director @ CPG and Retail Market Research firm. Collaborated with leaders from CPG companies, food and drug retailers, Chicago Booth, and Northwestern Kellogg, to implement marketing strategies based on shopper and category management insights, statistical analysis and POS, demographic, behavioral, and panel data.
• Clients: Fred Meyer, Loblaws, Price Chopper, Raley’s, American Greetings, Hershey, Mars, Lucky Spoon Bakery, High West Distillery,
• Implemented in-store pricing and merchandising tactics to grow loyalty, cross-merchandising and relationship marketing strategies between grocery and GM &HBC business.
• Designed Loyalty Baby Club program at southwest retailer and grew non-foods sales by 25%, gross margin by 17%, store customer count by 5%, and total store sales by 4%.
• In-store promotions increased targeted GM/HBC item sales by 80% using traffic building sale items to move consumers to secondary categories.
• Presenter at FMI and NACDS conferences. Services offered: primary and secondary research, data analytics, loyalty program development and implementation, in-store promotion design, category management, and shopper insights. Responsible for business development, project leadership and budgets. From January 2000 to 2012 (12 years) Affiliated Consultant @ Evaluated new customer growth segments, product assortments, store locations, and category merchandising strategies for American Stores (Albertsons) executive team. Led competitive landscape, customer insights, and market entry assessments for health care superstore retail concept development, Health n' Home, in the southwest US including site locations, banner branding, and customer experience strategies. From 1995 to 1998 (3 years) Affiliated Consultant @ Provided expertise related to long-term value of customer segments and relationship marketing to households specifically to Sears. Co-authored white paper titled, “Leveraging Customer Information to Build Customer Equity.” From 1994 to 1995 (1 year) Project Manager @ Executive Instructor 1998-2001
Taught executive course for retail food brokers (Daymon & Associates) based on data driven promotion and pricing models. Course covered category management essentials: assortment, pricing, promotions, product placement, and vendor relations.
Merchandising Research Center - Project Manager 1990-1994
(Currently Kilts Marketing Center)
Designed and implemented 100+ in-store experiments in partnership with Dominick’s Finer Foods (SuperValu), gathered POS data from grocery and drug outlets across the U.S., and produced actionable results/reports for consumer packaged goods sponsors (CPG), retailers, and industry experts including recommendations for best in class assortment, merchandising, pricing, marketing and promotional strategies/tactics.
• Partnered with 80+ store managers, 15+ CPG firms and data researchers to implement in-store strategies. Responsible for budgets and relationships with retailer and consumer packaged good executives.
• Produced retail management best practice action plans for CPG sponsors, published academic papers. Delivered industry speeches with the University of Chicago Booth research team to Food Marketing Institute. From 1990 to 1994 (4 years) Manager @ Responsible for delivering strategic and operational solutions for consumer packaged goods companies and large government agencies. Other projects: development of online training materials and client presentations at the Advanced Systems Center. From 1988 to 1990 (2 years) Greater Chicago Area
MBA, Marketing, Honors @ The University of Chicago - Booth School of BusinessBS, Marketing @ University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - College of Business Mary Purk is skilled in: Marketing, Marketing Strategy, Market Research, Strategy, Project Management, Management Consulting, Leadership, Business Development, Shopper Marketing, Shopper Insights and Marketing, Relationship Marketing, Customer Loyalty, Pricing Strategy, Marketing Communications, Analytics
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension