A global risk management and security executive with substantial experience designing, leading, and implementing a broad range of corporate risk management and security initiatives while working with customers to increase sales and help mitigate their risks. Mark is a business executive who understands international business and managing enterprise-wide risk through assessing, redesigning and implementing global security architectures
A global risk management and security executive with substantial experience designing, leading, and implementing a broad range of corporate risk management and security initiatives while working with customers to increase sales and help mitigate their risks. Mark is a business executive who understands international business and managing enterprise-wide risk through assessing, redesigning and implementing global security architectures and risk assessments to achieve and drive business value. Most recently architected and recommended a more dynamic and aggressive information security program that would heighten the security of products sold to customers in country mass transit systems, thereby increasing profitability and lengthening multi-year multi-million dollar contracts.
Mark shows cultural sensitivity by successfully collaborating with international colleagues, has lived in 16 countries (much of Europe, Americas, AsiaPac) and speaks two languages (English and German). Having worked for a Fortune 20 company, governments, and medium sized businesses, Mark's focus for the past 30 years has been on understanding enterprise risk and organizational tolerances to acceptance, mitigation and avoidance, while helping generate profit.
Senior Vice President & Global Chief Security Officer @ * Worked closely with sales and account management to help customers understand and buy our services through understanding service delivery and security posture.
* Requested be principle point of contact for all customer audits and assessments for technology and security. Worked closely with cross-functional teams to build frictionless audit methodology.
* Implemented best-of-breed information security program focused on risk management and mitigation to protect PII globally
* Implemented program to meet or exceed the compliance obligations of Finance and HealthCare industries, validated through multiple regular external customer and independent audits
* Stood up program for Privileged Identity and Identity Management.
* Globally responsible for all physical and information security programs, and the enterprise risk management program.
* Implemented global executive protective services program including transport services.
* Adopting an enterprise risk management approach and collaborating with internal teams to develop a sustainable culture of security awareness through people, processes and technology.
* Led a cross-functional team and external consultants to develop and test a crisis communication plan to cover events involving terrorism and technology breaches.
* Expanded physical and information security teams based on emerging and imminent risk profiles.
* Reporting to the CFO and the Global Risk Management team; managing 30 employees and 150 guards through 3 direct reports spread across the USA and India.
* As a leader, I focus on team building, empowering and enabling my team, focussing on internal and cross-functional collaboration. Authentic and servant leadership are key. And having fun while we do what we do.
* Technologies deployed include Dell SecureWorks, Splunk, Bit9, FireEye, McAfee IPS & ASM, Websense, Centurylink FW, PGP, Sourcefire IDS, F5, and others. From December 2014 to Present (1 year 1 month) Greater Atlanta AreaGlobal Project Lead Information Security, Invensys Rail integration project @ Led the global integration team on information security to successfully drive the secure integration of Invensys Rail into the Siemens Infrastructure and Cities Sector (93% of 108 A/B measures completed by target date and achieved 100% 30 days later).
Led the final InfoSec audit of Invensys Rail, published and communicated 37 findings to the business, R&D, engineering, manufacturing and IT.
Justified and secured $120k in additional funding for technical security consulting services, but through effective finance management only used 75% of the budget.
Found innovative ways to incrementally improve security by identifying high risk areas and working with the business to manage risk by influencing and adjusting network, infrastructure and application migration plans.
Leveraged existing special network zone architectures for R&D, engineering and production to speed implementation while reducing costs for requirements gathering and solution generation.
Initial internal contract extended because of collaborative approach.
Invited by global project team to travel extensively (123,000 flight miles during 12 months) to work with global and regional project teams to identify secure solutions for LHAGs (Large Hairy Audacious Goals). From July 2013 to November 2014 (1 year 5 months) Munich Area, GermanyDivisional CIO & Global IT Demand Manager, Health Services @ • Partnered with the business CEO, CFO and senior leadership to focus on business issues and problems, drive business efficiency and effectiveness through process re-engineering/optimization and ensuring enterprise and local information systems supported processes (not processes supported IT systems).
• Built relationships with business employees, clinicians, customers, and technical staff to facilitate effective and outcomes-driven business-to-IT and IT-to-business communication. (Great feedback from partners about relationships built.)
• Led the Siemens HealthCare Windows 7/Office 2010 upgrade from XP; PeopleSoft upgrades; Siebel upgrades; automation of sales contracts input and billing; Big Data and BI strategies;
• Worked with CEOs and CFOs to define and secure critical assets to the business;
• Managed all escalations between the business, global IT department and global 3rd party service providers.
• Drove projects and helped business define requirements to IT delivery to ensure optimum delivery of shared services IT.
• Achieved prioritized strategic and operational objectives of IT 5-year strategy.
• Successfully argued against (and secured local and global management support) spending $18.5M to migrate from PeopleSoft to Siemens-standard ERP SAP through effective communication and business case development.
• Leveraged IT to generate $28.46M in revenue; Improved employee productivity 8,733+ hours; Reduced cash flow delays by 23 days; Used IT to assist reduce AR disputes ($1.6M+). From July 2007 to July 2013 (6 years 1 month) Greater Philadelphia AreaChairman, Board of Directors; Chair, Governance Committee; and Member, CIO Advisory Board @ GGGIT | Global Governance Grid Infrastructure Technologies links the conceptualized framework of Enterprise governance – as articulated through generally accepted frameworks, standards, laws, and regulations – to an organization’s technology infrastructure in such a way that the implementation of Enterprise governance is both reliable and measurable. This “operationalizing” of Enterprise governance, distinct from IT governance, ensures its effectiveness and accelerates the pace at which reliable governance activities can be implemented. From May 2007 to June 2013 (6 years 2 months) Chief Compliance Officer, Health Services Division @ • Appointed first chief compliance officer for division after SEC findings against Siemens (2-year rotational role).
• Successfully implemented SEC-approved organizational compliance program.
• Joined CEO, CFO, and CLO in global board with P&L responsibility to manage sales and approve projects with a combined annual value of $2.6B+ from 186 countries.
• Advised and influenced executive management team to avoid compliance issues and regulatory fines.
• Ensured deficiency free environment through internal and external audits. From September 2007 to October 2009 (2 years 2 months) Greater Philadelphia AreaSenior Director, Service Level Management (ITIL) @ Relationship and contractual framework management associated with an outsourced IT service delivery model, escalation management. From August 2005 to July 2007 (2 years) CISO, Americas @ • Implemented risk management approach (instead of rules based approach) partnering with business to manage risk.
• Directed focus areas for IT audits on all information security topics
• Overcame corporate inertia to achieve conformance through executive education, strong and regular communication using metrics and a risk-based framework.
• Led Americas IS team to achieve best-in-breed information security technical benchmarks in two years through independent corporate metrics (99.86% compliance) through re-engineered business processes for PLM, SCM, & CRM.
• Educated 100+ executives on business risk and business continuity management.
• Developed and implemented Business Continuity program (including disaster recovery) for all operating companies in the Americas and named Business Continuity Manager, Americas.
• Engaged and helped management hold executives accountable for information security performance.
• Helped generate government revenue by reducing vulnerabilities of 497,000+ systems by 63% in the first eight months of appointment.
• Managed 31 Information Security Directors and 196 staff for 128,000+ staff enterprise, directed $93M+ budget for Canada, USA, and Latin America. From May 2003 to August 2005 (2 years 4 months) Member @ Active participant in the Mapping of Existing Work on Infosec Best Practices Subgroup, particularly focused on protecting critical infrastructure.
See https://www.evernote.com/shard/s30/sh/61add500-0f7c-4fd5-ac88-ddf680227ef6/a084277db40ed462b211225b786a0429 for the paper presented From 2004 to 2005 (1 year) Washington D.C. Metro AreaManager, IT Infrastructure and e-Security @ Infrastructure: Managed the Government’s WAN and central communications infrastructure.
Project managed and led several whole-of-Government process and technology-related initiatives: PKI, biometric authentication systems; smart card access control systems; life-time email; secure e-mail; national secure remote access infrastructure; X.500 directory; ISO 17799 strategy implementation; applications development, electronic marketplace, information asset risk analysis, ITIL.
Briefed Ministers and executive management on security issues and trends From February 2000 to April 2003 (3 years 3 months) Manager, Marketing and Communication @ Managed large and complex communication programs across government: business continuity communication plan for Y2K; corporate identity implementations; executive speeches; and media program From January 1998 to January 2000 (2 years 1 month) Director, Public Affairs @ Managed Marketing Communication, media relations (media coverage up 32%, 98.7% positive), lobbying, advertising (revenue increase 14%, advertising increase 286%), and publications.
I was part of the management team that lobbied the Queensland Government to ensure legislation was fair and equitable for both citizens and real estate professionals. From January 1996 to January 1998 (2 years 1 month) Compositor and Journalist @ From 1985 to 1990, I completed my apprenticeship as a Hand and Machine Compositor (on the production side of printing). I can layout and publish books, forms, advertisements, and editorial, as well as typography and logo design.
From 1990 to 1995, I worked as a journalist doing general reporting, feature writing, and being the journalist-in-charge of a free weekly newspaper.
During the above, I also wrote about technology issues (computers and applications), becoming the group computer editor for Australian Provincial Newspapers (a group of newspapers in Queensland and New South Wales) as well as the contributing editor for the major daily in Perth. From January 1985 to December 1995 (11 years)
Master of Business (MBA), Organizational Communication (Maj. in Public Relations and Marketing) @ Queensland University of Technology From 1995 to 1998 Mark Silver is skilled in: Requirements Management, Business Requirements, Public Relations, Public Speaking, ITIL, IT Management, Corporate Governance, Information Security Management, Crisis Management, Customer Relations, HR Solutions, Infrastructure Planning, Software Development, Governance, Compliance
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension