Honorary Lecturer @ Honorary Clinical Lecturer, Developmental Brain-Behaviour Laboratory, University of Southampton
Consultant Psychiatrist @ The Huntercombe Group
Research Associate, Project Lead @ Institute of Psychiatry
MSc in Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Child and Adolescent Mental Health @
Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Dep., Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
I am a Consultant Psychiatrist (MD, PhD and MSc in Child & Adolescent Mental Health) with 14 years’ experience in clinical, research and teaching appointments in the UK and Spain. I am committed to delivering the highest standards of care for young people with mental health issues and complex needs – leveraging multidisciplinary treatment plans, building partnerships
I am a Consultant Psychiatrist (MD, PhD and MSc in Child & Adolescent Mental Health) with 14 years’ experience in clinical, research and teaching appointments in the UK and Spain. I am committed to delivering the highest standards of care for young people with mental health issues and complex needs – leveraging multidisciplinary treatment plans, building partnerships with other clinicians/care providers, and prioritising transparent communication with patients and their families.
My experience includes:
▪ Clinical Work: I am currently the lead clinician on Thames Unit (PICU), Huntercombe Hospital, overseeing end-to-end treatment of patients. I have held other clinical posts in the NHS and in Spain, providing clinical evaluation and treatment of neurodevelopmental conditions in childhood and adolescence, including ADHD, autistic spectrum disorder and early onset psychosis.
▪ Research: I have lead work on learning assessment and management of child/adolescent psychiatric disorders at the Institute of Psychiatry in London. I am currently Honorary Clinical Lecturer at the Developmental Brain-Behaviour Laboratory, Psychology Department, University of Southampton. I have authored/co-authored numerous peer reviewed papers and studies and recently conducted and published results of RCT to evaluate the effects of a psychoeducational program in families with ADHD children and adolescents in Spain and London. I am a member of the European ADHD Guidelines Group EAGG.
▪ Teaching: I have supervised MSc and PhD theses at Kings College and the University of Granada.
Specialties: UK & European Mental Health Provision; NHS clinical guidelines; Child & Adolescent Mental Health; ADHD; Autistic Spectrum Disorders; Learning Disability Psychiatry; Psychoeducational Programs; Bio-Psycho-Social Treatments; Multi-Agency Working; Service Governance & Development
Skills & Expertise:
Mental Health Care
Child Mental Health
First Episode Psychosis
Honorary Lecturer @ From July 2015 to Present (6 months) Consultant Psychiatrist @ Huntercombe Hospital is a specialist Tier 4 service, dedicated to the high quality provision of specialised clinical care in Child and Adolescent Mental Health
▪ Management of the most severe psychiatric conditions on a PICU setting within a multidisciplinary team. Liaises with referrers and colleagues on assessments, care plans and results; consults with unit GP regarding physical health of patients.
▪ As Responsible Clinician on the unit oversees patient care through health care assistants, nurses and psychotherapists. Supervises therapists via weekly meetings/supervision sessions.
▪ Diagnosis and delivery of pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment.
▪ Prepares reports and has attended a number of Mental Health Tribunal hearings.
▪ Prepares and chairs CPA reviews and weekly MDT meetings.
▪ Manages weekly audits of medications; introduced monitoring system for physical health of patients receiving neuroleptics. From October 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) Research Associate, Project Lead @ Principal Investigator.
Psychoeducation in families of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in the United Kingdom
▪ Currently leading multi-agency psychoeducational project for families of children and adolescents with ADHD. From October 2006 to Present (9 years 3 months) Deputy Editor IACAPAP Bulletin @ From March 2014 to Present (1 year 10 months) Consultant Psychiatrist @ Consultant in General Psychiatry
Consultant in child and Adolescent Psychiatry
▪ Community psychiatric services (Tier 3) to children, adolescents and adults.
▪ Management and treatment of children, adolescents and adults across ADHD, autistic spectrum disorders, psychotic, and affective disorders. From November 2010 to 2014 (4 years) Consultant in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry @ Complejo Hospitalario Jaén (Spain)
Child & Adolescent Mental Heath Dep.
▪ Multi-disciplinary Child & Adolescent psychiatric team, including outpatient (Tier 3), day unit and inpatient service (Tier 4).
▪ Liaison with neuropsychiatry services regarding management of community based patients.
▪ Treated eating, self-harm, severe neuro-psychiatric, sexual abuse, and different neurodevelopmental conditions in childhood and adolescence, including ADHD, autistic spectrum disorder and early onset psychosis. From November 2006 to November 2010 (4 years 1 month)
European-PhD, Neuroscience, Cum Laude @ University of Granada, Neuroscience Institute, Spain From 2006 to 2010 MSc in Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Child and Adolescent Mental Health @ Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Dep., Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK From 2005 to 2006 Master of Science (MSc), Child and adolescent mental health @ King's College London From 2005 to 2006 Residency Training in Psychiatry (MIR), Psychiatry Residency Program @ Hospital de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain From 2001 to 2005 Doctor of Medicine (MD), Medicine @ University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain From 1994 to 2000 HONORARY LECTURER, Honorary Clinical Lecturer @ University of Southampton Maite Ferrin is skilled in: Neuroscience, Cognitive Neuroscience, Psychoeducation and ADHD, Child & Adolescent Neuropsychiatric Disorders, Psychiatry, Psychology, Clinical Research, Science, Statistics, Medical Writing, SPSS, Lifesciences, Medical Education, Mental Health, Treatment