Special Sections / Focus Editor @ Silicon Valley Business Journal
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Journalism @
San Francisco State University
I'm a veteran editor and writer in print and web journalism with supervisory and production experience including the roles of managing editor and arts editor. I've covered politics and crime as well as specialized areas including business, technology and law. While covering law I earned a California paralegal certificate. Covering the arts I've written reviews, previews, celebrity
I'm a veteran editor and writer in print and web journalism with supervisory and production experience including the roles of managing editor and arts editor. I've covered politics and crime as well as specialized areas including business, technology and law. While covering law I earned a California paralegal certificate. Covering the arts I've written reviews, previews, celebrity interviews and features. I also launched an arts blog for an alt-newsweekly. I have experience in fine art photography, sculpture and painting, and I've had exhibits at venues in the Bay Area as well as the Midwest. I've belonged to one cooperative gallery and two artist groups, one of which I founded. I have stage experience in two storytelling series. I have solid analytical and project management ability, and I'm good on deadline.
Senior Editor @ • I help assign and produce some 50 posts per week at these pet-related websites owned by Say Media Inc. Topics include health, behavior, humor, adoption and product reviews.
• I write a lifestyle column called Cat Dandy from the perspective of a fashion-conscious man who loves cats. Topics include social commentary, behavior, humor and interviews with celebrities such as Jackson Galaxy, host of Animal Planet’s “My Cat From Hell.”
• I write all headlines and do final SEO work on all posts daily.
• I help recruit and develop a pool of freelance writers. From June 2012 to Present (3 years 5 months) San FranciscoArts and Culture Editor @ • I assigned, edited, wrote and shot or curated photos and other images for the Night+Day print section as well as the Exhibitionst arts blog (which I named and launched) and online calendar.
• Stories and posts included previews, reviews, commentary, celebrity interviews and humor in areas including film, theater, visual arts, dance, comedy, recreation and lectures. My interview subjects included Hollywood director John Waters, performance artist and author Karen Finley, and sex-educator, performer and activist Annie Sprinkle.
• I managed one staffer, one to two interns at any given time and a pool of freelance writers and photographers. From August 2010 to June 2012 (1 year 11 months) San FranciscoSpecial Sections / Focus Editor @ • I oversaw the weekly Focus features section in addition to managing three massive annual supplements including the Emerging Tech Awards, the Structures Awards and Best Bay Area Corporate Counsel (which I also launched), while also helping shape and adhere to annual editorial calendar.
• I wrote web and print stories on commercial real estate, law and other topics as needed.
• I helped supervise staff reporters working the law and cleantech beats.
• I recruited and maintained a stable of freelance writers. From May 2008 to August 2010 (2 years 4 months) San JoseCopy Chief and Associate Editor @ • I helped build, design and populate this website on authors and literature from nothing.
• I created an in-house style guide and wrote guides for editors on basic HTML. From October 2007 to March 2008 (6 months) San FranciscoManaging Editor (promoted from Copy Editor) @ • As managing editor, I supervised six reporters and one copy editor, assigning stories and coordinating workflow to ensure short- and long-term deadlines were met.
• I contributed to long-term planning of editorial goals and coverage of the legal industry.
• As copy editor, I edited stories for content, style, grammar, spelling and legal accuracy.
• I monitored news wires, and also did front-page design and layout work. From November 2003 to August 2007 (3 years 10 months) San FranciscoLayout Editor and Web Producer @ • I coordinated with the editorial, advertising and art departments to design, build and produce each week's paper.
• I assigned photos, did digital photography work, and helped with copy editing as needed.
• I collaborated with the editorial operations manager to improve workflow and content for the web edition. We established the Express as having the most proficient production of what at that time were the 11 papers in the chain. Companywide changes to web content eventually were given to the Express first for beta testing before being implemented throughout the chain.
• I wrote author profiles, book reviews and other arts features for the calendar section. Interview subjects included Mary Roach (author most recently of "Gulp"), Daniel Handler (also known as Lemony Snicket), Stephen Elliott (author of "Happy Baby" among other books and director/co-writer of the 2012 film "About Cherry), and Patrick Califia, sex-radical trans man and author of "Speaking Sex to Power," among other books). From April 2002 to November 2003 (1 year 8 months) EmeryvilleSenior Copy Editor @ • I edited stories, columns and reviews for content, style, grammar, spelling and accuracy for these magazines about business and technology.
• I updated magazine’s website at the end of each print cycle. From August 1999 to April 2002 (2 years 9 months) San FranciscoCopy Editor @ • I edited stories for content, style, grammar, spelling, technical accuracy and HTML coding for this website of a cable TV channel devoted to technology.
• I wrote periodic stories and all daily headlines.
• I established writing and style guidelines for TV hosts who had little experience writing for publication, and I held group Q&A sessions as well as one-on-one coaching with these staffers to help improve their writing and the site's content. From February 1999 to August 1999 (7 months) San FranciscoCopy Editor and Page Designer @ • I edited stories, columns and reviews for content, style, grammar, spelling and accuracy at this trade publication covering Apple computers aimed at corporate buying professionals.
• I wrote headlines, coordinated workflow, and designed and laid out four sections. From March 1998 to February 1999 (1 year) San FranciscoNight Editor (Promoted from Reporter) @ • As night editor at this daily newspaper, I supervised a night crew of reporters, copy editors and production artists. I edited stories for content, style, grammar, spelling and libel concerns; designed pages; wrote/updated breaking stories as needed.
• As a reporter, I covered law enforcement, state courts and various public safety agencies. I established extensive source networks to find breaking news, features and trends in crime and public safey.
• I wrote the lead story in the 1993 surrender of former 1960s radical and longtime FBI fugitive Katherine Ann Power, who had led a double life in Oregon for decades. My conversations with her defense attorney, who orchestrated the surrender and who I knew from my beat, led to interviews with Power’s longtime colleagues and friends as well as her therapist. Our extensive first-day coverage beat every major news organization in the country and resulted in a nomination for a Pulitzer Prize for spot news in 1994. From May 1993 to August 1994 (1 year 4 months) Corvallis, OR
Certificate, Paralegal Studies, 4.0 @ San Francisco State University From 2005 to 2007 Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Journalism @ San Francisco State University From 1985 to 1990 Keith Bowers is skilled in: Newspaper, Journalism, Copy Editing, Ap Style, Editing, Blogging, News Writing, Editorial, Publications, Copywriting, Storytelling, Social Media, Media Relations, Online Journalism, AP Style, Newspapers, Publishing, Creative Writing, Content Management, Magazines, Feature Articles, Proofreading, New Media, Press Releases, Web Content, Breaking News, Fact-checking, Newsletters, Content Strategy, Content Development, Publicity, Online Publishing, Video, Headline Writing, Facebook, Web Content Management, Digital Media, WordPress, Multimedia, Books, Web Editing, Freelance Writing, Layout, Investigative Reporting, InCopy, Film
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension