Consultant - Board of Directors Governance Training @ AMA - Afghanistan Microfinance Association
A senior-level professional with natural leadership abilities and strategic approach supervising complex programs in private and non-profit sectors. Deeply committed to international development with a unique ability to work in diverse and high-pressure environments. Over seventeen years of experience working in USA and Afghanistan. In-depth understanding of organization strengthening with proven tools and methodologies, strong research, conceptual
A senior-level professional with natural leadership abilities and strategic approach supervising complex programs in private and non-profit sectors. Deeply committed to international development with a unique ability to work in diverse and high-pressure environments. Over seventeen years of experience working in USA and Afghanistan. In-depth understanding of organization strengthening with proven tools and methodologies, strong research, conceptual and implementation skills. Proven ability to communicate diplomatically with excellent presentation and communication skills.
Management and Leadership
Over ten years of executive management both as a founder of organizations and managing development financial institutions. Excellent knowledge of corporate governance. Almost five years of experience in human resource and recruiting. Adept at strategic planning, program management, staff development, training, creation of policies and procedures, conflict resolution, clear and methodical thought process, and overall execution of organizational goals. Ability to write clearly and concisely.
In-depth knowledge of microfinance, financial inclusion, mobile money building MFI operational capacities and methodologies, women entrepreneurship development, proposal writing, report writing, credit management, program and organizational assessments, development of good governance policies and training, building networks, and advocating for promotion of microfinance awareness.
Expertise in good corporate governance practices. Proficient in developing governance training materials and conducting board training. Experience with Development of good governance policies and monitoring compliance, coordinating committees and board meetings, preparing update presentations for board members, preparing reports, establishing record of board operational procedures and decisions. Overall management of board member expectations and information sharing.
Governance Faculty and Advisor @ The Africa Board Fellowship connects board members and CEOs through peer learning and exchange to strengthen the governance of financial institutions serving low-income clients in sub-Saharan Africa.The role of Faculty and Advisor is to provide governance training and on-going advisory services to CEOs and Board Members of designated African MFIs who are fellows in the program. From April 2015 to November 2015 (8 months) Cape Town Area, South AfricaConsultant - Organizational Capacity Assessment @ Conducted comprehensive organizational capacity assessment of Afghan Institute of Banking and Finance (AIBF) training center for the Board of Directors and World Bank Financial Sector Rapid Response Project (FSRRP) From May 2015 to September 2015 (5 months) Consultant - Board of Directors Governance Training @ Strengthened the Board’s knowledge of effective governance resulting in positive changes and action planning for the organization by developing a comprehensive two day participatory good governance training. From 2014 to 2014 (less than a year) Consultant - Baseline Assessment - Capability Maturity Model @ Contributed to the long-term sustainability of three local NGOs by conducting a three month assessment along with a set of 60 indicators and a comprehensive list of recommendations. Also created a set of nine monitoring reports for donor review. From 2014 to 2014 (less than a year) Managing Director @ MISFA (Microfinance Investment Support Facility for Afghanistan) is an apex organization tasked with the development, growth and oversight of the Afghan microfinance sector.
Provided strategic guidance and leadership to the Afghan microfinance sector. Reporting directly to the Chairman of the Board, provided oversight to USD $120+ million dollar budget and 15 microfinance institutions. Interacted with bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors and government agencies. Managed 50 national and int’l staff. Built organizational capacity.
Impact: Recovered USD $80 million from fledgling MFIs and executed a turnaround strategy for long-term viability. Instituted culture of accountability and transparency. Created financial inclusion strategy for the development finance sector. Nationalized senior and mid level management position
• Worked closely with Chairman to build board capacity, policies, delivered presentation, organized board meetings and provided regular updates.
• Collaborated closely with high-level government officials and stakeholders to strengthen the position of the organization and to leverage their influence.
• Successfully managed the consolidation of 7 financial institution
• Established oversight and monitoring function with effective policies to ensure adherence to agreements and institutional strengthening action plans.
• Directly managed human resource and public relations and communication departments From June 2008 to July 2013 (5 years 2 months) AfghanistanManaging Director/Founder @ PARWAZ was the first grassroots microfinance institution providing financial services to women micro-entrepreneurs in Kabul. PARWAZ merged with another national micro finance institution in 2011.
•Managed 80 staff and USD $5 million dollar budget. Developed and implemented strategy for the institution’s viability and built team of microfinance professionals with continuous employee development and training. Acted as Advisor to BPeace on mentoring Afghan female entrepreneurs.
Impact: Winner of CGAP’s Pro-Poor Innovation Award and grew the organization to 5,000 female borrowers.
• Directly managed human resource and operations departments
• Reported to donors on timely basis and managed relationship with all stakeholders
• Ensured strong management of loan portfolio and internal control
• Spearheaded innovations such as home repair loans and business literacy training for borrowers
• Created business development opportunities for top female entrepreneurs From 2005 to 2008 (3 years) AfghanistanHead of Human Resource @ FMFB was the first commercial bank in Kabul and provides financial services to MSME borrowers.
Provided human resource support to this newly licensed bank and oversaw the daily management of launching the headquarters office, first branch and merger with another smaller bank.
Impact: Established a fully functional HR department from inception.
• Created policies and manuals on international best practice and Afghan laws
• Developed a recruiting strategy, established recruiting sources, sourced local and international candidates, coordinated interviews, and established new hire process
• Created disciplinary process and counseled employees and advised head of departments on employee relations issues
• Created payroll process and employee database
• Acted as a liaison between national staff and international senior management From February 2004 to November 2004 (10 months) AfghanistanHuman Resources Manager @ NetCentrex was a high-tech Silicon Valley based company that required set up of an HR department
As one of the first few employees of the company, responsible for creating the HR department’s policies and manuals and established the process for recruiting, employee counseling, performance review, payroll and pay grade scale.
Impact: Established HR department, hired over 30 employees and implemented process for reduction in staff.
• Wrote job descriptions, created interview packet, conducted interviews, developed employee referral program and new hire orientation
• Implemented benefits plan such as the Flex plan, vision plan, new medical & dental health plans and replaced 401k provider company
• Conducted sexual harassment training for all employees and performance review training for managers
• Developed an employee relations program, organized culture training and company events, conducted conflict resolution meetings
• Developed content for internal and external HR Web site
• Created reduction in force plan and established process, created RIF packet, conducted lay-off meetings and followed up on termination requirements From September 2000 to August 2003 (3 years) Recruiter and On-Site Account Manager @ From January 1998 to August 2000 (2 years 8 months) Public Relations Coordinator @ From January 1997 to January 1998 (1 year 1 month)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), English Literature and Public Administration @ San Jose State University From 1993 to 1996 Katrin Fakiri is skilled in: Business Strategy, Policy, Microfinance, Strategic Planning, Business Planning, International Development, Strategy, Management, Budgets, Leadership, Investments, Capacity Building, Organizational Development, Budgeting, Proposal Writing
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension