Hardworking, 1st Class Honours university graduate in Computer Games Development, and winner of the the international competition; Dare to be Digital, resulting in a BAFTA nomination. With more than three years experience within the games industry and 3 years programming at university. Always respectful of those around me, my employer, colleagues and customers; very self motivated and
Hardworking, 1st Class Honours university graduate in Computer Games Development, and winner of the the international competition; Dare to be Digital, resulting in a BAFTA nomination. With more than three years experience within the games industry and 3 years programming at university. Always respectful of those around me, my employer, colleagues and customers; very self motivated and my time keeping has consistently been excellent. In my spare time I enjoy cycling, climbing, snowboarding and hiking.
1. Languages / APIs
- C/C++ (6 years), DirectX 9.0/11.0 (5 years), HLSL(5 years), C# (3 years), Java (1 year)
2. Platform Experience
- PC, Mac, Xbox 360, Xbox One, iOS, Android, PS Vita, PS3, PS4
3. Programming experience
- 3D Rendering, gameplay, file IO, user control, post processing, tools, animation, UI,
optimisation, memory management, some physics, AI, TRC compliance.
4. Software Packages
- Visual Studio, XCode, Perforce, Git (Source Tree), Unity 3D Engine (extensive experience), Unreal Engine 3 (extensive experience), JIRA
- OOP Principles, Hungarian Notation, Supervision of Junior programmers
Programmer @ Programming areas: Rendering, engine, game play, UI, AI, platform API interfacing.
Platforms: Xbox One, Xbox 360, PC, iOS, Android.
Third party software: Unreal Engine 3, Unity 3D, Visual Studio, Perforce, Jira, PIX
Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery (Unreal engine 3)
- Generalist/Game play programmer
PlayStation Vita Pets: Puppy Parlour (Unity 3D)
- Generalist/Game play programmer
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (In-house engine)
- Render/Engine programmer
- Xbox One management (maintaining and producing builds)
Goat Simulator (Conversion) (Unreal engine 3)
- Generalist programmer From November 2011 to Present (4 years 2 months) Games Programmer @ Dare to be Digital is a competition at Abertay University in Dundee in which teams from around the world develop a game over a 9 week period to be presented at Protoplay, a major gaming event in Caird Hall Dundee. The team I was a member of, Evolved Ape, developed a game called DreamWeaver.
The player plays a young boy who wakes up within an amazing dream world, as he’s exploring he stumbles across a companion and together they both solve puzzles giving the sense of teamwork and player-to-AI bonding. However this dream world suddenly turns into a nightmare where the game play changes from a relaxing puzzle game to a fast paced escape game as your once friendly, cuddly companion is now a raging beast which you must run from.
This project presented a number of technical practices that I can take particular credit for. These include depth of field, level streaming and general game play programming. The project also gave me an opportunity to practice my skills within a team environment; working closely with artists and within a set timeline of deadlines and milestones. DreamWeaver was built within a commercial engine, Unity 3D.
Protoplay was conducted over 3 days starting 12/08/2011 where the game was shown to and enjoyed by many members of the public.
DreamWeaver won the competition and has been BAFTA nominated for the 2010 'computer games: ones to watch' award. From July 2011 to September 2011 (3 months) Dundee, United KingdomArcade Attendant @ From June 2009 to September 2010 (1 year 4 months) Order Picker @ From April 2007 to August 2008 (1 year 5 months)
BSc Computer Games Development, Software Engineering, 1st Class Honours @ University of Central Lancashire From 2008 to 2011 Joseph Hurst is skilled in: C++, C#, C, DirectX, Xbox One, Java, OpenGL, XML, UnrealScript, ActionScript, Xbox 360, iOS Development, Android Development, PS Vita, Unreal Engine 3
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension