Linux OS Validation and Development Engineer @ Dell
Linux IT Systems Engineer @ Dell
MS, Computer Engineering @
The University of Texas at El Paso
I am a member of the Dell Linux Engineering Team, a team responsible for delivering the best Linux solutions and customer experience in the industry. During my time at Dell I have served in different capacities, including testing, debugging, software development, system administration, evangelizing new technologies, managing OS programs and working closely with our Linux partners to
I am a member of the Dell Linux Engineering Team, a team responsible for delivering the best Linux solutions and customer experience in the industry. During my time at Dell I have served in different capacities, including testing, debugging, software development, system administration, evangelizing new technologies, managing OS programs and working closely with our Linux partners to make Dell servers the best available platform for our Linux customers.
Senior Linux Software Engineer @ • Evangelize new technologies such as KVM virtualization and Docker containers through engagement with marketing and development teams; authored implementation and best-practices white papers to guide customers and support teams in deploying these technologies.
• Managed XenServer and Ubuntu Enterprise & Consumer OS programs. Worked with OS and hardware vendors to deliver full compatibility with Dell hardware. Accountable for all team deliverables, including issue resolution, testing, systems management support, hardware certification and user documentation.
• Hands-on testing and issue debugging with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, CentOS, Ubuntu and Fedora. Worked with Linux vendors to fix issues in a timely manner.
• Lead hardware enablement efforts in Linux for PCIe-SSD and NVMe drives and worked with internal teams and Linux vendors to ensure successful implementation of Dell differentiators in the marketplace.
• Administer development lab infrastructure, including deployment of servers, network, storage arrays and administration of services such as Red Hat Satellite, mailing lists, HTTP, FTP, IRC, NFS, NIS, DNS and DHCP.
• Mentor and advise multiple software development teams across different regions. Range of activities include recommendation of Linux best-practices, problem resolution and end-user support. From 2006 to Present (9 years) Linux Systems Engineer @ • Worked with database and network administrators to recommend and implement Red Hat Enterprise Linux server infrastructure to support Dell’s applications across Manufacturing, Financial Services and Customer Support Call Centers.
• Provided 24x7 Level-3 Linux support to over 2000 production servers and served as mentor to incoming systems engineers. Worked with global teams to troubleshoot and resolve software and hardware issues. Coordinated and performed sustaining tasks such as quarterly Linux patch updates, firmware updates and migration from end-of-life hardware. From 2005 to 2006 (1 year) Linux Test Engineer @ • Tested Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server on PowerEdge servers. Components tested included storage, CPU, memory, network, ACPI, USB, optical media and tape drives, increasing timely bug fixes and ensure a smooth rollout of these operating systems on new PowerEdge servers.
• Developed software to enable automated tests and incorporated them into test suite package, improving and expanding the collection of test cases. From 2004 to 2005 (1 year) Austin, Texas AreaUnix & Linux System Administrator @ • Built and deployed company’s Solaris and Linux infrastructure that served as development platform for over 50 developers. Managed network services such as NFS, NIS, DNS, DHCP, compilers, debuggers and configuration management tools to ensure a timely rollout of the company’s products.
• Performed system administration tasks such as bug and security updates, backups and end user support to successfully support the operation of the company’s development and testing infrastructure.
• Mentored junior system administrators and end users to improve their overall Linux skills through detailed documentation and one-on-one mentoring. From 2000 to 2003 (3 years) Software Engineer @ • Supported group of 50 applications developers and their inventory management tool, including log management and backups. Wrote code updates to improve client-server log file transfers.
MS, Computer Engineering @ The University of Texas at El Paso From 1994 to 1996 BS, Electrical Engineering @ The University of Texas at El Paso From 1989 to 1994 Jose Delarosa is skilled in: Linux, RHEL, SLES, Unix, Cluster, Troubleshooting, Hardware, Networking, Shell Scripting, High Availability, TCP/IP, Virtualization, iSCSI, Storage Area Networks, Vendor Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension