Versatile designer, innovator, strategist and UXer equally at home in the ambiguous, future-oriented world of design and business strategy and the left-brained, analytical world of design and software engineering. I have experience leading product, UX, design research, strategy, software and systematic innovation teams and projects, and I'm an accomplished and confident facilitator, teacher, communicator and researcher of
Versatile designer, innovator, strategist and UXer equally at home in the ambiguous, future-oriented world of design and business strategy and the left-brained, analytical world of design and software engineering. I have experience leading product, UX, design research, strategy, software and systematic innovation teams and projects, and I'm an accomplished and confident facilitator, teacher, communicator and researcher of design, needfinding and new product development.
I've been working on taking Nutmeg.com from zero to an established challenger brand in financial services through leading UX and design that meets people's real needs. Previously, I spent six years in the San Francisco Bay Area researching what makes high-performing design teams tick and working as a design strategist at the awesome Jump Associates.
I also publish a weekly sketchplanation at sketchplanations.com
Specialties: UX; Design research and strategy; Human-centered design of products, experiences, brands, services; Consumer insights development; Social research methods; Systematic technical innovation; Teaching and communicating design concepts; Facilitation of design and creativity workshops; New product development; and I'm a mean Boggle player.
Head of User Experience @ Responsible for building a world class user experience across web and mobile interfaces to help people do more with their money and reach their financial and life goals.
Busy doing: product and marketing strategy, managing product development, user research, wireframing, brand development, testing, usability, and keeping our customers front and centre across everything we do.
- Early Stage Company of the Year in the FinTech Innovation Awards 2015
- Webby Awards 2014: Nominee for the Financial Services/Banking category in April 2014
- Best Finance Site of the Year and Website of the Year in the Good Web Guide Awards 2014
- 2014 FinTech 50 - 50 most innovative and disruptive brands in financial technology
- Best Consumer Finance eCommerce in October 2014
- City AM Awards 2013 - shortlist for most innovative company of the year along with the likes of Mind Candy
- Financial World innovation awards 2013 - Winner innovation in customer proposition and Product design
- Smarta 100 Award 2012
- Finnovate Europe Best of Show 2012 From April 2011 to Present (4 years 9 months) London, United KingdomFreelance Design and Innovation Strategy Consultant @ Contracting work related to design research and strategy including service and experience design, systematic innovation, human-centered design, new business concept development, and design process and workshop facilitation.
Past work includes understanding how people manage their money (or don't), helping marketers step into social media, facilitating innovation kick-offs, developing innovation tools and training schemes, patent development. From September 2002 to April 2011 (8 years 8 months) London, United KingdomProject Lead and Design Strategist @ Jump helps invent new businesses and reinvent existing ones. Drawing on the disciplines of design, social research, and business strategy Jump is adept at finding companies new opportunities for growth and providing robust strategy to make it happen. It is also an excellent environment to work in - one of the 2008 WSJ top small workplaces in America.
While at Jump I:
- Led a multidisciplinary team on a design management project for a major technology and consumer product company focusing on creating a world-class design function
- Conducted social research including ethnographic interviews for a leading packaged goods firm resulting in a new strategic direction for several new product launches
- Provided research-based strategy for a popular US-wide retailer on an integrated approach for organization and storage considering products, merchandising and messaging From June 2008 to November 2009 (1 year 6 months) Instructor @ Section leader for Advanced Product Design: Needfinding, a class in design strategy and social research methods for designers and M.B.A.'s. Coaching of undergraduate and graduate students on projects, grading and facilitating weekly discussions, and explaining class concepts. From January 2009 to June 2009 (6 months) Design and Innovation Researcher and Instructor @ Working at the Berkeley Institute of Design I combined teaching, mentoring and multiple design-related research initiatives, culminating in a PhD entitled: Effective Framing in Design.
- PhD studying how design teams effectively frame their design challenge entitled: Effective Framing in Design.
- Award-winning instructor over four years for the graduate interdisciplinary New Product Development class with the Haas School of Business, Department of Engineering and the California College of the Arts
- Design and research projects include: health information systems for migrant farm workers; opportunities for mobile technologies in K-12 education; needfinding towards new sports products for kids with Nike (at Stanford); and Speedstorming to foster inter-disciplinary collaboration
- Published in 16 peer-reviewed venues including the Journals of Creativity and Innovation Management, Design Research, Mechanical Design, Engineering Education and Nanoeducation
Classes as teaching assistant:
Fall 2007, 2006, 2005 and 2004
Managing the New Product Development Process
Listed as: MBA290N, ME290P IS290
Professors: Alice Agogino, Sara Beckman, Mark Martin, Leslie Speer (CCA)
E10: Introduction to Design and Analysis, module on Human-Centered Community Design
Professor: Alice Agogino From August 2003 to May 2008 (4 years 10 months) Intern @ I spent the Summer at Jump Associates working with the Managing Associate to draft a textbook on Design Research and Planning. From May 2006 to August 2006 (4 months) Innovation Engineer @ CREAX provides innovation consulting services, software and training. With a unique and tested systematic innovation methodology they provide innovation studies, problem solving, solution marketing and patent studies.
While at CREAX I:
- Led innovation consulting projects for a range of industries including sports and outdoor equipment, food products, retail, weaving machines, and medical waste disposal systems
- Facilitated innovation training workshops across Europe on systematic innovation techniques based on TRIZ – the Theory of Inventive Problem-Solving
- Led a team of 40 software developers for the CREAX Innovation Suite software
- Developed training modules for an innovation toolkit, SUPPORT – a 20 partner European project, now in use by hundreds of small, medium enterprises across Europe From June 2002 to August 2003 (1 year 3 months) Training Facilitator @ As a certified National Student Learning Program (NSLP) Facilitator I taught key skills to undergraduate and graduate students including workshops on Effective Communication and Presentation skills. From August 2001 to January 2002 (6 months) Design Engineer @ SNR produce innovative vehicle roller bearings for major European car manufacturers such as Renault. Working in the design office I was responsible for:
- Creating CAD models for exploration and analysis of internal innovations
- Preparing benchmarking methods for key products based on competitor product analyses
- Finite Element Analysis of new innovations to analyze stress upon loading From July 1999 to September 2000 (1 year 3 months)
PhD, Design @ University of California, Berkeley From 2003 to 2008 Product Design @ Stanford University From 2006 to 2006 MEng, Innovation and Engineering Design with French @ Institut polytechnique de Grenoble From 2002 to 2002 MEng, Innovation and Engineering Design with French @ University of Bath From 1997 to 2002 Jonathan Hey is skilled in: User Experience, Design Strategy, Ethnography, Product Design, Experience Design, User-centered Design, Design Thinking, Strategy, User Research, Interaction Design, User Interface Design, Persona, Research Design, Usability, Brand Development