A fast tracking, entrepreneurial Managing Director for one of Europe’s largest retailers. With a principled and ethical approach, effective in developing and guiding high performance teams of Directors through complex change situations to record growth, cultural transformation and the creation of an effective cost control culture. More recently experience in Property Management for the UK's leading provider
A fast tracking, entrepreneurial Managing Director for one of Europe’s largest retailers. With a principled and ethical approach, effective in developing and guiding high performance teams of Directors through complex change situations to record growth, cultural transformation and the creation of an effective cost control culture. More recently experience in Property Management for the UK's leading provider of student accommodation during a time of change and growth had demonstrated a more diverse application of these skills.
Student Experience Director @ Heading up a new Department to oversee the digital transformation of the business.
Responsible for a number of central teams including Digital Strategy and Execution, Operations Support, Service, HE Engagement and Student Services, Marketing Services and Commercial Services.
'Customer Experience is expected to be the key differentiator to become a trusted brand, above product and price.'
Responsibilities include the development of the strategic direction of the business across all customer facing channels and delivery of a service culture and customer experience which will lead to achievement of 'trusted brand status', with a particular focus on the digital platforms that will lead and support on this journey. From October 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) Bristol, United KingdomOperations Director - Southern Region @ Strategic Development, including business plan & sales
Responsible for property management team operating approx. 20,000 rooms across 69 assets with a value approaching £1.5bn.
Additional, national responsibilities from August 2013 include: Operational Support and Standards (including the national call centre), Marketing delivery, Internal Communications, International sales and Short Stay sales. From January 2013 to September 2014 (1 year 9 months) Operations Director - Greater London @ Strategic Development, including business plan & sales
Responsible for property management team operating approx. 8,000 rooms across 30 assets with a value approaching £1bn From June 2011 to December 2012 (1 year 7 months) Operations Director - Central London @ Strategic Development, including business plan & sales
Responsible for property management team and assets in excess of £400m From January 2011 to June 2011 (6 months) Interim Operations Manager @ Strategic Development, including business plan & sales
Responsible for property management team and assets in excess of £250m From August 2010 to January 2011 (6 months) London, United KingdomFounder @ Engaged to assess and guide retail and leisure businesses who are challenged by the current economic climate to identify opportunities, through practical performance improvement action plans. Key strengths being cultural transformation, cost reduction and change management.
• cost reduction
• cultural transformation
• change management.
Start-up and recruitment of a group of investors, leading in the acquisition, development and letting of properties in the North East (commenced 2003) and London. Creating a management team to develop, upgrade and lease/sell properties as required.
• From start up to a 45 unit property portfolio worth £6m with average yields of 11%, and capital appreciation of 50%
• Generated a Return on Investment (R.O.I) to shareholders of 200-300% From 2008 to July 2010 (2 years) Chairman of the Trustees and Director @ Responsibility was given to oversee the financing, development and growth of a regional charity. Further challenges were to audit costs and administration, implement improvements, coach staff, while also responsible for the negotiation and funding of all charitable projects with appropriate involvement.
• Restructuring of administration and transfer to the corporate model for charitable status
• Responsible for all areas of HR, Land and Property, and Finance
• Involved in 6 property based projects (4 in the UK, 2 in Kenya), funding of an orphanage, school and small business enterprise scheme in Kenya.
• Involved in successful negotiations, on behalf of the local charity leadership, with the Kenyan government to win the contract for distribution rights for solar energy panels for the Rift Valley region.
• Leadership conferences in Columbia, Peru, and the UK.
• Mentoring of socially disadvantaged and low income earners. From 2003 to 2007 (4 years) Managing Director @ Full responsibility for sales turnover approaching £250m, costs budget of £28m per year, capital expenditure £22m across 60 outlets in central UK, and the management and development of a team of 5/6 Regional managers within the region in Property, Operations, Administration and Finance, Logistics and Purchasing. I also developed a program to bring corporate understanding at a local level, building the team ethos across the organisation. Additionally, responsible for the recruitment and training of graduate Area Management.
* Implementation of comprehensive customer service programme that was adopted nationwide as policy
* Negotiation nationally, and implementation regionally, of full remerchandising of stores
* Reduction in costs by 10% over first 18 months From 2000 to 2002 (2 years) Regional Operations Director @ Initial responsibility was the set up and development of a new regional centre from an operational perspective in July 1995, followed by the requirement to grow the region from 35 to 75 stores, overseeing all operational aspects including sales, HR, and cost management. This resulted in a retail business with sales approaching £225m and costs of £10m for the region, covering the East coast from Nottinghamshire up through the North East and Scotland
* Growth of sales from £140m to £225m over five years through improved training, enhanced customer service and store openings
* Development of highly skilled team of 15 area managers from graduate recruits, with many now succeeding at the director level
* Recruitment and training of store management
* Development and implementation of comprehensive customer service programme that was later adopted nationally
* Attained the highest productivity and lowest costs across the UK From 1994 to 2000 (6 years) Area Manager @ Following an intensive training program, I was given responsibility for the development of stores within a local area, including the opening of new stores and to oversee for all aspects of HR at a local level. Improvement in performance for all key performance indicators (KPIs).Following an intensive training program, I was given responsibility for the development of stores within a local area, including the opening of new stores and to oversee for all aspects of HR at a local level. Improvement in performance for all key performance indicators (KPIs). From 1992 to 1994 (2 years)
BSc (ARCS) Honours, Biochemistry @ Imperial College London From 1988 to 1991 Loughborough Grammar School From 1981 to 1988 John Blanshard is skilled in: Change Management, Retail, Purchasing, Negotiation, Business Transformation, Customer Service, Human Resources, Recruiting, Sales, Budget, Performance Management, Operations Management, Budgets, Management, Business Planning, Training, Leadership, Business Strategy, Process Improvement
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension