Assistant, Nationwide Alcohol Beverage Practice @ GrayRobinson, P.A.
Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.), Political Science and Government @
Columbia University in the City of New York
Proven leader, researcher, and entrepreneur with project management experience from a clientele of Fortune 500, nonprofit, and public-sector entities. Implemented weekly projects for the President of the United States at The White House. Wrote and sold first software program at age 16. Strong background of disruptive innovation, programming, statistical data analysis, predictive modeling, survey design, and research
Proven leader, researcher, and entrepreneur with project management experience from a clientele of Fortune 500, nonprofit, and public-sector entities. Implemented weekly projects for the President of the United States at The White House. Wrote and sold first software program at age 16. Strong background of disruptive innovation, programming, statistical data analysis, predictive modeling, survey design, and research methodology.
Senior Product Development Engineer @ Prattle utilizes text analysis methods to provide innovative investment decision-making solutions. Our core product, the Fed Index, is a capital markets trading signal synthesized from our proprietary unbiased, comprehensive, quantitative analysis of central bank sentiment. A TechStars New York 2015, MassChallenge 2015, and Arch Grants 2014 finalist, Prattle was was named one of St. Louis’s fastest-growing startups in 2014 by ITEN. Prattle’s work has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, and The Deal.
- Executed successful data development enterprise for more than 18 global central banks, amounting to a massive data set of central bank communications in multiple languages.
- Systematized data collection of unstructured text from websites, email updates, and RSS feeds using Python, BeautifulSoup, Textract, PDFMiner, MongoDB, and AWS EC2 instances.
- Managed team of research assistants to author content for a book on the data, published by Palgrave MacMillan. From September 2014 to Present (1 year 4 months) Certified Math Tutor @ Tutor high school, college, and graduate students in mathematical topics including Algebra, Pre- Calculus, Calculus I & II, Vector Calculus, SAT/ACT, Statistics, Research Design, and R/STATA/SPSS. From August 2014 to August 2015 (1 year 1 month) Greater St. Louis AreaAssistant, Nationwide Alcohol Beverage Practice @ Team assists shareholders of alcohol beverage retailers, distributors, and suppliers/importers with matters of licensure and compliance, dram shop liability, and taxes & records.
Selected Project Experience:
• Prepared due diligence reports on cost evaluations and domestic/international liquor license processing standards for the spinoffs of two Fortune 500 holdings generating $2.62b and $3.78b in revenues annually, and one PE deal valued at $120m. Government fees for the transfer of 2,800 retail licenses alone exceeded $2m.
• Analyzed initial licensure investment requirements in Pennsylvania and New York for beverage retailer and concluded that prohibitive temporal and financial constraints could render their project difficult in Pennsylvania; resulted in the retailer proceeding with the investment in New York and suspending the investment in Pennsylvania. From December 2013 to January 2014 (2 months) Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida AreaAdvance Associate @ • Creatively, diplomatically, and logistically directed Presidential events, interviews, and meetings nationwide, most televised on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, YouTube, and the White House Website as part of the Presidential Advance Team.
• Coordinated movements and access of the President, First Lady, Secretaries, Governors, U.S. Senators and Representatives, press, staffers, and volunteers at sites drawing crowds of up to 30,000 attendees. From August 2011 to 2013 (2 years) Washington D.C. Metro AreaNational Advance Staff @ See Advance Associate, Office of Scheduling and Advance, above. From 2012 to November 2012 (less than a year) Greater Chicago AreaWhite House Intern @ Supported the staff in the Office of Scheduling and Advance.
Select Project Experience:
• Prepared Cabinet members’ schedules for senior staff/White House Military Office.
• Led a team of interns to quantify scheduling correspondence traffic (numbering 400-600 per week) using a novel macro and office-linked document I programmed; resulted in metric-based insights and more efficient use of time.
• Rewrote a set of 64 scheduling correspondence templates, now used by White House Scheduling and Advance. From May 2011 to August 2011 (4 months) Washington D.C. Metro Area
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Political Science and Government @ Columbia University in the City of New York From 2015 to 2020 Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.), Political Science and Government @ Columbia University in the City of New York From 2015 to 2017 Master’s Degree, Political Science and Government @ Columbia University in the City of New York From 2015 to 2016 Bachelor's Degree, Political Science @ Washington University in St. Louis From 2009 to 2014 Joe Sutherland is skilled in: Public Speaking, Research, Community Outreach, Leadership, Political Campaigns, Grassroots Organizing, Microsoft Office, Fundraising, Political Science, Grant Writing, Spanish, International Relations, Public Policy, HTML, Volunteer Management