Founding Partner & CEO @ J Awan & Partners
Executive Director - Head of Compliance MENA @ Morgan Stanley
Jehanzeb is a results driven leader with substantial experience in regulatory and business risk management. He has a proven track record of developing and maintaining effective compliance programs and executing mission critical projects in multicultural environments. Jehanzeb has led several teams and has collaborated with senior management and business clients to develop, execute and manage various initiatives.
Jehanzeb is a results driven leader with substantial experience in regulatory and business risk management. He has a proven track record of developing and maintaining effective compliance programs and executing mission critical projects in multicultural environments. Jehanzeb has led several teams and has collaborated with senior management and business clients to develop, execute and manage various initiatives. He combines strong business acumen with solid risk management skills to achieve desired results.
Jehanzeb's strengths are compliance policy development and implementation, managing regulatory relationships and providing advice on micro (transaction related) and macro (regulatory and strategy related) risks. In addition, he has led several projects that involved launching new products and setting up regulated presence in various countries. Jehanzeb has developed excellent relationships with the Dubai Financial Services Authority (“DFSA”), the Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Authority (“QFCRA”), UAE Securities and Commodities Authority (“UAESCA”), the Capital Market Authority (“CMA”) of KSA and the Egyptian Financial Services Authority (“EFSA”). He has advised a diverse set of business units and senior management on regulatory policy issues in GCC and MENA jurisdictions.
Founding Partner & CEO @ I am the founding Partner and run the regulatory consulting practice. The firm provides a wide array of regulatory compliance services that include:
- setting up regulated presence in any of the MENA countries
- outsourced compliance officer function
- developing and implementing compliance infrastructure including conduct of business, AML, OFAC and Anti Bribery & Corruption programs
- collective investment schemes set up and reporting
- regulatory audit preparation
- post regulatory audit risk mitigation plan advice and implementation
- regulatory reporting
- Islamic Finance structuring and annual Islamic finance compliance reviews
- transaction advice for Investment Banking, Sales & Trading (cash, fixed income, commodities & derivatives) Private Banking and Investment Management.
- cross border business advice From October 2013 to Present (2 years 3 months) Executive Director - Head of Compliance MENA @ - Successfully managed the Compliance and AML function and all regulatory relationships for the Institutional Securities and Private Banking Business in the region.
- Implemented the Global Anti- Corruption (UK Bribery Act, US FCPA) and the Global Sanctions program (US OFAC, UN, EU) for the Firm’s MENA business.
- Led the establishment of Morgan Stanley Saudi Arabia and Morgan Stanley's QFC Branch.
- Successfully managed various branch audits by the DFSA, CMA and the QFCRA. Due to the effective compliance program, Morgan Stanley is classified as a low risk firm in all three jurisdictions.
- Advised management and sales teams on complex cross border business issues.
- Executed regulatory approvals for Morgan Stanley’s Islamic Finance business. I was a member of the Shari’a management committee and advise the Shari’a Board on compliance of the Islamic finance business with the Shari’a Board directives and DFSA rules. From July 2006 to April 2013 (6 years 10 months) Head of Compliance @ - Served as the head of Compliance and AML as well as the senior member of the risk management team.
- Hired, managed and developed a team responsible for compliance infrastructure implementation.
- Advised the CRO, CEO and business unit heads on regulatory and compliance issues, recommended appropriate actions and liaised with regulatory bodies to ensure compliance objectives were accomplished.
- Developed and implemented compliance policies and procedures for the bank and all its subsidiaries and conducted regulatory risk reviews to identify and resolve key risks.
- Key stakeholder/ contributor in business and operational risk assessment review and remedial policy implementation.
- Major contributor in launching NBD’s first two in house Funds. Developed Fund’s compliance policies, managed regulatory issues and approved Fund’s marketing materials.
- Conducted senior management training to ensure effective communication and understanding of compliance and AML policies by senior bank staff. From August 2003 to June 2006 (2 years 11 months)
Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.), Magna Cum Laude @ University of Arizona From 1995 to 1998 Jehanzeb Awan is skilled in: AML, Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, Regulatory Policy, Reputation Management, Risk Management, Islamic Finance, Operational Risk, KYC, Financial Regulation, Capital Markets, OFAC, Hedge Funds, Due Diligence, FINRA
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension