Bachelor's degree, Accounting @
Grand Valley State University
My name is Jason Woods and I have over 20 years experience leading teams to support fact based decision making for multiple business areas including operations, sales, and marketing. I thrive by developing my team members to solve problems that help to improve processes and increase product profitability. In addition, I also enjoy linking organizational strategic plans
My name is Jason Woods and I have over 20 years experience leading teams to support fact based decision making for multiple business areas including operations, sales, and marketing. I thrive by developing my team members to solve problems that help to improve processes and increase product profitability. In addition, I also enjoy linking organizational strategic plans to key performance indicators and then cascading simplistic visual scorecards for stakeholders to influence.
Aside from my finance background I have also been trained as a lean champion and enjoy collaborating and teaching fellow team members on continuous improvement techniques that create sustainable results.
Outside of work I enjoy spending time with family, coaching soccer, and staying physically fit.
Controller @ • Led and coached team through a two month departmental re-engineering plan resulting in better balanced and more in depth roles, enhanced strategic career progression opportunities, and a dramatic reduction in inter-departmental handoffs.
• Responsible for the company’s financials, internal controls, and strategic executive decision support.
• Planned and flawlessly executed the NetSuite implementation of our sales commissions, deferred revenue recognition, and advanced financials modules.
• Benchmarked industry best practices for DSO and DPO targets. Coached team on getting automated collections and payments via ACH and Lockbox. Then implemented daily A/P payment processing at the DPO benchmark. Balancing cash flow, minimizing interest expense, and funding vendors daily.
• Went from full close on day +14 to now day +3 with clear closing processes, team member engagement, and system automation.
• Implemented quarterly projection cycles and departmental rollup reporting to help cascade financial responsibility to the manager level by enhancing engagement.
• During another Netsuite user benchmarking task found an opportunity for bandwidth improvement of 10x our current speed at the same monthly cost. Improving productivity for all employees. From November 2014 to Present (1 year) Operations Finance Manager @ • Provided portfolio profitability modeling that supported a 6 month turnaround for one of our manufacturing sites generating a favorable change of over $2M in annual cash flow for the organization.
• Revamped P&L to isolate material, direct labor, indirect labor, variable oh, and fixed oh costs and then trained management on the value of volume adjusted P&L analysis.
• Created the necessary finance processes to begin understanding product costs, margin analysis, and entity profitability using systematic facts and data.
• Collaborated and created company red/green KPI operational scorecard by converting P&L performance to a per unit basis and establishing revenue, total cost, and operating income per unit targets. This KPI scorecard also incorporates various people, quality, and delivery metrics.
• Implemented a company wide purchase order system to improve controls, shorten close process, and improve forecasting capability.
• Created a quarterly product profitability analysis which helped to highlight underperforming SKU's and stimulated pricing and costing discussions.
• Implemented a daily cycle count process and switched from monthly to quarterly physicals, which dramatically reduced month end adjustments to less then $20k and improved our financial forecasting accuracy.
• Transitioned and converted various manual processes to systematic processes which were adopted at 13 plants including order selection, inter-company transfers, and PO receiving.
• System implementation of SAGE inventory module including raw material wood item key setup with industry family groupings.
• Using revamped P&L created a product pricing/costing sheet to ensure we are pricing our products according to current cost run rates. From August 2013 to November 2014 (1 year 4 months) greater grand rapids, michigan areaAccounting Manager @ • Created and refined plant KPI’s (yield, melt loss, machine efficiency & downtime/day) that links our operating performance to our financial business plan. These new KPI’s have reflected gross profit gains of 10% despite sales decline of 10%.
• Created standardized work instructions and various poke yoke checks for our month end close process. This has significantly reduced handoffs and increased available time by 95%.
• Provided professional development opportunities for direct report by expanding accounting and excel involvement.
• Helped scrap reduction task force by creating a forecasting tool to help focus reduction efforts, set goals for each part, and monitor volume adjusted results to goal. Team is currently favorable to goal.
• Collaborated with leadership team to change our reward system to align with KPI’s and increase the frequency of payout from semi-yearly to quarterly. Year over year payout increased $35k while profits have increased $900k.
• Collaborated with leadership team to create a leadership/accountability board on the plant floor where we discuss KPI’s, review trends, and create action plans for improvement.
• Created a monthly operations reporting package highlighting KPI’s, pounds produced vs. plan with quantifiable KPI’s affecting performance, and EBITDA waterfall charts showing actual vs. plan.
• With available time became the project manager for our plant 5S (sort, set, shine, standardize, sustain) continuous improvement implementation where sustainability scores were in the mid 90%. See attached pdf for first area kaizen.
• Analyzed make vs. buy decision of our product cores to determine in-sourcing opportunity.
• Compile our quarterly product gross margin report for sales so pricing and portfolio decisions can be made. Portfolio margins within 2 pts. of actual gross profit P&L performance.
• Conduct quarterly physical inventories where adjustments have been less than 2%.
• Maintain the accuracy of our bill of material costs. From November 2011 to August 2013 (1 year 10 months) Ravenna, michiganFinance Manager Americas, Europe, India, South Africa, and Australia @ • Financial liaison for global markets with annual revenues of $4.5 billion.
• Conducted 7 monthly conference calls to review YTD results versus budget, forecast, and annual estimates.
• Prepared and communicated monthly results to senior leadership team by utilizing Hyperion and other analytical tools.
• Performed financial modeling based on knowledge of markets, their strategies, and relationships with financial peers to help establish targets for yearly operating income.
• Reviewed and provided input on key assumptions for large capital projects requiring ROI and approval from executive leadership.
• Developed market reporting to highlight various best practices and potential profit gains by comparing best in class market performance and quantifying that financial impact for other markets if they achieved those same levels.
• Developed reporting package to provide corporate marketing with brand growth, product profitability, and market trends. From August 2008 to November 2011 (3 years 4 months) Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan AreaPlant Controller @ • Plant controller for high end office furniture manufacturer with annual revenues of $80 million and 300 employees.
• Business partner supporting the operations team on various KPI’s to drive business results and enhance accountability. Aligned our ERP system Syteline with the operations structure to facilitate focused factory operational productivity reporting.
• Enhanced and implemented standard costing system.
• Performed monthly analysis of actual vs. plan vs. projection based on standard cost variance analysis.
• Identified and helped to implement approximately $3M in annual savings via freight payment provider consolidation, minimum order quantity savings, and labor planning initiatives.
• Led and participated in numerous plant Kaizen’s including outsourcing of our frame building and glue up operations to allow the plant to focus on its core competencies.
• Communicated monthly gross profit results to corporate executives and plant leadership.
• Performed monthly gross profit projection based on product mix and operational performance.
• Led and facilitated the yearly budget process for gross profit. From December 2005 to August 2008 (2 years 9 months) High Point, North CarolinaAudit Senior @ From April 2005 to December 2005 (9 months) Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan AreaAudit Staff @ From August 2002 to April 2005 (2 years 9 months) Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan AreaManufacturing/Finance @ An active and positive promoter of the implementation of herman miller's production system (hmps). Various leadership roles within manufacturing while attending classes and my last year working as a fixed asset accountant prior to entering public accounting. From November 1995 to August 2002 (6 years 10 months) Holland, Michigan
Master of Business Administration (MBA), Business Administration and Management, General @ Western Michigan University - Haworth College of Business From 2005 to 2007 Bachelor's degree, Accounting @ Grand Valley State University From 2000 to 2002 Lean Champion Certification, Lean Champion @ MMTC From 2012 to 2013 Jason Woods, CPA is skilled in: Financial Reporting, Cost Accounting, Internal Controls, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Variance Analysis, General Ledger, US GAAP, Hyperion Enterprise, Consolidation, Accounting, Forecasting, Fixed Assets, Auditing, Financial Analysis, GAAP, Internal Audit, Account Reconciliation, Monthly Closing, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Kaizen, Continuous Improvement, Time Management, Managerial Finance, Essbase, ERP, Management Accounting, Baan ERP, Syteline ERP, Leadership, Process Improvement, Budgets, Pivot Tables, Communication, Financial Modeling, Lean Manufacturing, Teamwork, Cross-functional Team..., Analysis, Business Planning, Manufacturing, Sarbanes-Oxley, Management, JD Edwards, CPA, Financial Audits, SAP, Finance, Cash Flow, Financial Accounting
Looking for a different
Jason Woods, CPA?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension