An executive with twenty five years of strategic corporate experience coupled with established financial management skills across a variety of industries. Delivered financial leadership, financial accountability, pragmatic process redesign and improvement and business controls for companies undergoing growth or change. Built highly motivated, results-oriented teams and led groups of up to 30 professional and technical staff. Developed
An executive with twenty five years of strategic corporate experience coupled with established financial management skills across a variety of industries. Delivered financial leadership, financial accountability, pragmatic process redesign and improvement and business controls for companies undergoing growth or change. Built highly motivated, results-oriented teams and led groups of up to 30 professional and technical staff. Developed external relationships with Boards of Directors, lenders, investors, consultants, customers, joint venture partners and auditors. Negotiated favorable results for complex business issues.
Strategic financial planning, financial analysis and modelling, strategy, business contracts, complex business issues, tax compliance and planning, risk management and process review.
CFO @ From January 2014 to Present (2 years) Strategic Financial Consultant @ A senior financial executive with strategic corporate experience coupled with established financial management skills across a variety of industries. Delivered financial leadership and financial accountability for companies undergoing growth or change. Developed external relationships with Boards of Directors, lenders, investors, consultants, customers, joint venture partners and auditors. Negotiated favorable results for complex business issues. From February 2013 to December 2013 (11 months) CFO @ Reporting to the CEO, responsible for the finance, human resource, information technology and professional services functions of a private software company with 50 employees in Canada. Responsible for financing, strategy, financial reporting, controls, pricing and infrastructure for the company including expansion into the US. From January 2011 to February 2013 (2 years 2 months) Vancouver, Canada AreaTreasurer @ Responsible for senior finance functions of this $150 million leading private label snack manufacturer with operations in Canada and the US including international sales. The business grew from $45 million to $150 million in five years through organic growth and diversification of business segments.
• Directed the due diligence and legal processes for the sale of the business. Developed relationships with a variety of lenders, investors, and consultants as we resolved finance, legal, tax valuation and insurance issues.
• Secured $30.0 million in a series of financings used to fund working capital and capital expansion during a period of weak financial performance related to business transition.
• Optimized balance sheet by reorganizing legal and capital structures.
• Developed tax plans for both Canadian and US operations to minimize the tax liability to the corporation and its shareholders. From 2005 to December 2010 (5 years) Consultant @ Senior financial and business strategy advisory services for a start up entrepreneurial developer and marketer of berry based nutritional supplements in the natural health product market.
• Negotiated and managed key contracts for outsourced services including manufacturing, product development, distribution and internet order fulfillment.
• Managed product development through launch of commercial production.
• Participated in brand development including product labeling, marketing, trade shows and knowledge of the competitive environment.
• Developed business plan for financing. From 2005 to 2006 (1 year) Chief Financial Officer @ Reporting to the President and CEO, responsible for all finance functions, and to provide strategic counsel and leadership for an $8 million public company that manufactured and distributed environmentally friendly paint strippers and cleaners in North America and Internationally. Napier was challenged to realize growth and to generate positive cash flow.
• Secured $3.0 million financing facility to fund working capital at a time that the company was unable to meet its current obligations.
• Redefined the business model to deliver profitability at existing level of sales From 2003 to 2004 (1 year) Director, Finance and Administration @ Reporting to the Owner and two Presidents of a group of five entrepreneurial, growing companies involved in a variety of industries including residential and commercial real estate, merchant banking, and logistics.
• Established the accounting and administration infrastructure in an entrepreneurial environment to support growth and to ensure appropriate controls and processes were in place.
• Developed a highly motivated team to serve a number of growing entrepreneurial companies. Instilled strong results-orientation by establishing mutually agreed upon goals, providing guidance, accountability and regular feedback. From 2002 to 2003 (1 year) Chief Financial Officer @ • As a member of the executive team, established the vision and strategic plan to overcome operational inefficiencies, to realize growth, and to maintain a national leadership status in a competitive environment.
• Negotiated a new financing structure and reduced the average cost of debt by 150 basis points on $130 million of debt. Achieved significant interest rate savings by hedging the interest rate exposure in a rising interest rate market.
• Following a period of unsatisfactory financial performance, successfully refinanced existing debt based on the strength of relationships with lending syndicate.
• Ensured the investment community had a proper understanding of corporate performance and strategy by establishing effective external relationships with major shareholders and analysts. Published press releases and annual and quarterly reports.
• Project managed business advisors to sell the company. Prepared an offering memorandum and valuations. Participated in management presentations, due diligence, and bid negotiations.
• Recommended or declined investment in projects and corporate acquisitions after completing due diligence, evaluating financing alternatives and considering operating, tax and legal requirements.
• Established partnership agreements for a new strategic alliance and managed the partnership operations and approval process, as a member of the Partnership Steering Committee.
• Reduced the US tax liability and preserved the ability to absorb significant Canadian tax loss carry forwards by developing detailed tax plans, in conjunction with tax specialists.
• Reduced the incidence of fraud and theft by implementing a corporate code of ethics and management controls for key areas of the corporation.
• Established key performance measures as early indicators of operational trends and financial performance. From 1997 to 2001 (4 years) Manager of Business Assurance @ Reporting to the General Manager for Applications Management Services, responsible for quality assurance and finance for this newly created division generating $30 million in annual revenues and employing 200 people. The division provided software maintenance, development and support for a variety of medium to large sized customers and substantially exceeded profit expectations in initial year of operations.
• Unique combination of internal responsibilities to build infrastructure coupled with provision of consulting advice to external customers based on knowledge of finance and financial systems.
• Established processes for quality assurance, performance measurement, project pricing, costing and profitability, accounting and administration and financial reporting.
• Developed an individual performance scorecard system that motivated employees to achieve corporate objectives for service levels. From 1996 to 1997 (1 year) Corporate Controller @ Reporting to the Senior Vice President and CFO, directed the financial reporting, management information systems, planning and analysis, credit and cash management, and tax functions for this $60 million, 300 employee, private company with Canadian and U.S. operations.
• Chaired a multi-discipline Steering Committee comprised of functional senior managers to establish technology as a strategic role. Initiated business process re-engineering resulting in streamlined business processes and a current technology system design.
• Improved quality of decision-making information by improving timeliness of information and identifying key requirements. Implemented new systems, automated and changed procedures, and restructured responsibilities.
• Streamlined technology group of five specialists to deliver improved service and focus on core areas of responsibility.
• Led a team of thirty professional, technical and clerical staff. Abated significant turnover and enhanced employee morale by implementing changes in workload and staff levels, developing a team approach, and implementing staff career development plans.
• Liaison with shareholders, auditors and joint venture partners to ensure their information needs were met on a timely and accurate basis. From 1992 to 1995 (3 years) Director, Development and Exploration Accounting @ Director Development and Exploration Accounting
Increasing levels of responsibility within this $500 million, 2200 employee, public company with multiple remote site operations in Canada and the US. Broad scope in project, site and corporate controllership.
Reduced overall operating costs by establishing a cost review process, integrating operating and financial results and building a team approach to accountability.
Managed project financial functions, including recruiting and managing consultants, establishing project controls and procedures, monitoring and reporting project progress, and liaising with venture partners.
Improved the overall planning process by establishing a divisional review function, analyzing conformity with corporate objectives and utilizing a thorough knowledge of financial and operating trends and issues. From 1984 to 1991 (7 years) Audit Senior @ From 1981 to 1984 (3 years)
CA @ Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta From 1981 to 1983 B Comm, Accounting @ University of Alberta From 1977 to 1981 Janice Comeau is skilled in: Strategic Planning, Business Planning, Leadership, Business Strategy, Team Leadership, Financial Modeling, Start-ups, Entrepreneurship, Financial Reporting, Forecasting, Budgets, Risk Management, Risk Assessment, Financial Analysis, Treasury Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension