Currently freelancing, moving between tech, talent, startup and product management events, consulting with a number of early-stage firms on product/market fit and on tech talent acquisition. Helping to connect tech firms with the best events in their space, creating interesting and rewarding partner/sponsor relationships. Speaker at numerous events in the UK, Europe and USA, particularly on future
Currently freelancing, moving between tech, talent, startup and product management events, consulting with a number of early-stage firms on product/market fit and on tech talent acquisition. Helping to connect tech firms with the best events in their space, creating interesting and rewarding partner/sponsor relationships. Speaker at numerous events in the UK, Europe and USA, particularly on future tech/talent trends.
Previously, over a decade in technology & talent resourcing from niche startups to FTSE100 clients. Agency, inhouse direct sourcing and RPO. Co-founded (ideation / raising finance / sales / operations) and exited TweetJobs, subsequently at Communities tech start-up BraveNewTalent in a multi-faceted product/tech/sales role.
Specialties: Social recruiting, Twitter, blogging, community, recruitment, talent, events, conferences, product management, live-tweeting, event speaker.
Director @ Working on a number of projects, including:
- Consulting assignments to support direct talent attraction
- Commercial lead for events including MindTheProduct / ProductTank / UX Brighton and others.
- Marketing / advising / reporting for events & conferences especially in the tech/talent space
- Occasional Tech/Talent advisory services to PE investment firm
- Speaking assignments at SOSUEU, iRecruit, HRTechEurope, Reconverse, Tru, TalentNet, Talent Waffle and more
- Exploring other startup concepts From April 2012 to Present (3 years 7 months) Sussex & LondonAdvisory Board Member @ A recruitment industry round table discussion group. Reconverse connects employers with relevant suppliers and creates a relaxed, inspiring and safe environment which allows in-house recruitment professionals to learn from each other. From January 2014 to Present (1 year 10 months) London, United KingdomCo Founder @ Joined the core team as co-founder with specific remit to look at long term growth, commercial offerings, partnerships and more. Supporting the scaling of ProductTanks globally (now at 30+ cities) and the conference from 450 delegates at London 2012 to 1,245 in 2015. Launched our SF conference in June 2015 also - to a sold out venue of 650! From October 2013 to Present (2 years 1 month) London, United KingdomHead of Client Solutions @ Working with both Business and Product Development. Representing the company at events and conferences, working with new and existing clients, providing specialist recruitment market knowledge to the product development team, helping to prioritise based on what moves the needle. From April 2011 to April 2012 (1 year 1 month) London, United KingdomCo-Founder / Director @ Start-up company providing consultancy and fulfilment channels for recruitment agencies and corporate clients. Focussed entirely on Social Media, particularly Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. Involved in concept design, raising of investment capital and subsequent launch of business. Moved to lead the company's consulting work, in addition to developing new client relationships. Speaker at professional events. From August 2009 to April 2011 (1 year 9 months) Engagement Manager @ A short piece of work to restructure Albany's approach to the Carphone Warehouse account, where Albany were 6 months in to a loss-making contingent RPO contract. From October 2008 to January 2009 (4 months) Director @ Owner / founder. Providing services including HR consultancy, recruitment services and management consultancy. Customers include Software, Retail and Construction businesses. From March 2005 to September 2008 (3 years 7 months) London, United KingdomPrinciple Resourcing Business Partner & Client Engagement Manager @ Client one: Managing the Flexible Resource solution for a management consultancy, comprising a matrix team of up to 12 staff. This service managed up to 250 temps and 550 professional contractors at any given time.
Client two: 8 months on assignment to a major mobile telco provider, examining existing process issues, redefining technology requirements for a workflow solution and going out to market. This project was handed over to supplier due diligence. From September 2005 to March 2008 (2 years 7 months) London, United KingdomOperations Director @ Young Shoreditch start-up specialising in reporting software solutions for financial organisations. Wide-ranging interim board position to strengthen day to day operations, oversee the development of the sales and professional services functions and to handle headline relationships with key clients (on- and off-shore, including LloydsTSB and Dexia). From December 2004 to August 2005 (9 months) London, United KingdomBusiness Development Manager @ A variety of roles ranging from hands-on recruitment and client sales through to corporate customer management and sales team management. Dealt at all levels with customers including Barclays, LogicaCMG, JPMorgan, O2, IBM From October 1997 to November 2004 (7 years 2 months) New Business Contacts Consultant @ (subsequently acquired by Hays plc) From 1997 to 2000 (3 years) Consultant @ Trainee resourcer - seeking technical candidates for IBM's R&D facility at Hursley Park. From 1996 to 1996 (less than a year) Winchester
BA Honours @ Middlesex University From September 1993 to 1996 James Mayes is skilled in: Social Media, Technical Recruiting, Contract Recruitment, Twitter, Supplier Management, Blogging, Recruitment Advertising, Sourcing, Social Networking, Start-ups, E-recruitment, Talent Acquisition, Recruitment Technology, Talent Management, Applicant Tracking..., Account Management, Social Commerce, Employer Branding, New Business Development, Resource Management, Direct Sourcing, Change Management, Team Management, Professional Services, Graduate Recruitment, Outsourcing, Recruitment/Retention, Employee Engagement, Recruiting, Project Management, Internet Recruiting, Management, Strategy, Human Resources, Program Management, Social Recruiting, Project Planning, Business Development, SEO, RPO, Consulting, Product Management, Networking, Mobile Devices, Kicking Ass, Marketing