Growing and Learning, BS @
Walt Whitman High School
FINANCE AND SYSTEMS | INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVE | CHANGE AGENT | BOARD MEMBER | ACTIVE CPA
"NON PROFIT CFO Innovator of the Year” www.nonprofitcfoaward.com
John Francis Deeds, CPA, "Jack" is an entrepreneurial financial thought leader in emerging business solutions, including the building of rigorous financial tools and models, strategic/business plans, automated processes, and business metrics and tracking mechanisms
FINANCE AND SYSTEMS | INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVE | CHANGE AGENT | BOARD MEMBER | ACTIVE CPA
"NON PROFIT CFO Innovator of the Year” www.nonprofitcfoaward.com
John Francis Deeds, CPA, "Jack" is an entrepreneurial financial thought leader in emerging business solutions, including the building of rigorous financial tools and models, strategic/business plans, automated processes, and business metrics and tracking mechanisms that provide evaluation and timely decision support. He is a highly influential advisor and collaborative partner to key internal and external executives. Mr. Deeds has a strong history of working with strategic operations and finance departments to plan and execute fruitful organizational direction.
During his career, Mr. Deeds has provided COO, CFO, VP finance, Controller, Management Consultant, and Auditor services to diverse industries including service organizations, distribution, manufacturing, construction, banking, real estate, government, non-profits and trade associations. Mr. Deeds also brings extensive experience in managing international finance support for operations. He utilizes his diverse business experience and superior business acumen to develop and align strategic finance initiatives with overall business strategy.
Mr. Deeds has developed a culture of finance as a customer service team. He has advised key senior executives in multi-million dollar organizations in managing their finances and operations and to help them create value. Mr. Deeds has helped jump-start organizations and sustain their forward momentum by developing strategic and business plans. He has provided leadership in an entrepreneurial consulting firm providing management oversight for sales, service, and human resources. Mr. Deeds is a creative force that helps others to see the possibilities while working in a collaborative manner to influence positive outcomes. Mr. Deeds is an effective communicator with experience in conflict management and resolution.
Treasurer, Board of Directors and Finance Committee @ BOARD MEMBER | VOLUNTEERING
Equal Access is an international not for profit organization (501c3), headquartered in San Francisco and working throughout Asia, Africa and the Middle East. A communications for social change organization that combines the power of media with community mobilization, Equal Access creates customized communications strategies and outreach solutions that address the most critical challenges affecting people in the developing world such as women & girls’ empowerment, youth life skills & livelihoods, human rights, health and civic participation & governance. From February 2015 to Present (9 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaMember of the Board @ BOARD MEMBER | VOLUNTEERING
The Finance and Administration Roundtable (FAR) is the area’s only association dedicated exclusively to not-for-profit financial and administrative professionals. FAR celebrated its 30th Anniversary in 2014. The membership currently represents over 200 trade associations, professional societies, educational, charitable, and other not-for-profit organizations and over 60 prestigious companies serving the not-for-profit community. Established in 1983 as the Washington Association Financial Management Roundtable, FAR provides great speakers and professional development in a relaxed environment. Not-for-profit professionals come to network, exchange ideas, share information, and stay informed about the latest issues, trends and news affecting their organization. The FAR meets monthly, and is looking for new members, especially those from the NGO community. Check it out, tell your friends, and let me know if I can provide information to you about the FAR! http://www.far-roundtable.org From June 2014 to Present (1 year 5 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaVP Systems and Finance @ PEOPLE | PROCESS | TECHNOLOGY | CHANGE AGENT
• Timely and accurate – reduced time to close from over 120 days to 10 days eliminating 100K per year in disallowed costs, minimizing LOC borrowings and annual interest costs by 20K.
• Contracts and Grants Management – Reporting to USAID, USDA, NOARD, Others, Prime, Sub and field offices created real time access to grant reports. Result better, faster and more accurate donor reports that sped up the payment of funds, reduced aged receivables from 6 months to 60 days.
• Better cost allocation pools recover more costs, reduce deficits, and are easier to manage. By moving and re-aligning cost pools, was able to allocate 800K to a pool that is fully recoverable, have a 100K positive affect on the bottom line.
• Reconciled over 600 un reconciled balance sheet accounts including more than 100 international bank accounts, clearing all exceptions.
• People – Reorganized the accounting and international finance team of 10 staff at HQ and 30 field project accountants into a customer focused team using organizational change methodologies such as redefined job descriptions, work and performance improvement plans, RACI model, DISC, and Myers-Briggs.
• Process – Created a system of best practices across all functional areas re-writing finance manuals and eliminating control weaknesses. The result produced positive audit results, clearing all prior year management letter comments, completing audit in record time, providing a standardized monthly close and board reporting.
• Technology – Implemented SunSystems 6.2 w/ SharePoint & Social Media “Mingle”. Purchase Requisition and Purchase order and Extended Analysis modules adds important data. Web based financial reporting and custom workflows with external systems integrations. Real time access to budget and finance reports globally with weekly auto email of reports combined with an electronic document management solution makes the organization paperless and super circular compliant! From May 2012 to Present (3 years 6 months) Washington, DCTreasurer and Finance Committee Chair @ FINANCE LEADERSHIP | BOARD MEMBER | COMMITTEE CHAIR | VOLUNTEERING
Member of the Board of Directors - bringing background as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), International Chief Financial Officer (CFO) experience and Business Process Reengineering (BPR). From January 2009 to May 2015 (6 years 5 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaVP Finance @ GOVERNMENT CONTRACTOR | CHANGE MANAGEMENT| RESTRUCTURE | BEST PRACTICES
Interim VP of Finance taking the organization through a change management process to restructure finance and administrative teams for a government contractor.
• Strategy – Used financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, and modeling skills to assist the organization in restructuring and transition through a significant reduction in force. The result was the organization was able to skillfully reduce staff by 70% while budgeting and forecasting for the years ahead satisfying board reporting.
• Systems – Redesigned existing DELTEK to create web based financial reporting available in real time to all managers that created easy access to costs, indirect rates, fees, revenue recognition and contract billings that resulted in better financial information using less staffing saving at least 100K per year in administrative costs.. From August 2011 to February 2012 (7 months) Washington, DCProgram Manager FARS (Contracts and Grants) Replacement Project @ GOVERNMENT AGENCY | PROJECT MANAGEMENT | BUSINESS PROCESS RE-ENGINEERING
Brought in to help a struggling 3 year old project to replace an outdated system that provides grant reporting for 1.8 billion in annual USDOL funding. Working directly for the agency CFO helped strategize the most effective solution.
• Evaluated and documented the existing policy, procedure and systems for COBOL grant tracking originally developed for all States in the 1960s that was no longer supported proving the clarity required for system upgrade.
• Designed a replacement solution that integrates Dynamics GP (Great Plains) to the states SAP ERP solution. The result allowed a stalled 3 year old project to get on track, allowing the outdated system to be replaced. From November 2010 to July 2011 (9 months) Little Rock ArkansasInternational Chief Financial Officer (CFO) / Treasurer @ INTERNATIONAL NGO | CFO OF THE YEAR | FINANCIAL AND SYSTEMS LEADERSHIP
Re-Envisioned the financial, operations, finance, contracts and grants management of an international not for profit, creating financial best practices and state of the art software systems that linked headquarters departments and field programs into an eco-system of partners and staff moving with singular purpose.
• AWARDED “NON PROFIT CFO Innovator of the Year” - www.nonprofitcfoaward.com
• Designed worldwide contracts and grants management system for international government funding agencies such as USAID, United Nations, European Union, individuals, foundations, and corporations that was seen as partners, stakeholders, and other NGO as cutting best practices in accounting for NGO’s.
• Slashed annual disallowed costs and operational deficits from $700K to $50K in 2009 after dramatically reducing time to close from 120 days to 10 days by creating reporting that matched grantor and donor needs.
• Oversee international staff of 40 in 22 countries. Supervise international finance, budgeting, accounting, banking, investments, lines of credit, audits, internal controls and OMB A133 Federal Compliance Examination. The result was timely and accurate financials, improved donor reporting and cash flows, and elimination of all management letter comments, qualifying the organization as a “low risk auditee” for the first time.
• Implemented Dynamics SL (Solomon) and Dynamics GP (Great Plains), plus .NET web applications. From October 2006 to October 2010 (4 years 1 month) Washington D.C. Metro Area and InternationallyVP Finance, Technology & Administration @ FINANCE | SYSTEMS | HUMAN RESOURCE | ADMINISTRATION
Took on a one year project to assist in the merger and acquisition of United Way International by United Way of America to form United Way Worldwide: now one of the world’s largest charitable organizations.
• Reduced annual system costs by $200K by replacing vendor costs associated with an ineffective systems including donor advised giving, grants management, budgeting and financial management systems.
• Worked through merger and acquisition issues including strategic direction, branding strategies, financial, operational, administrative, human resource and benefits which allowed two organizations to become one.
• Minimized investment risks and improved investment returns through the management of investment accounts. The result was a change in investment portfolio to completely insured and 20K more in income. From August 2005 to October 2006 (1 year 3 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaPresident and Chief Operating Officer @ STRATEGY | FINANCIAL REPORTING | BUDGETS | ANALYTICS | SYSTEMS | INTEGRATIONS
Managed an award winning boutique management consulting firm of 8 staff. Created value through ERP implementations, finance, operations, human resource and information system outsourcing.
• Jump-start organizations and sustain their forward momentum by developing strategic and business plans. A long history of problem solving and customer service that helped an untold number of organization, staff, stakeholders, and constituents to prosper.
• Provided business process reengineering and finance and IT outsourcing, ERP solutions to over 100 well respected organizations.
Sample listing of clients served:
▪ United Service Organization (USO);
▪ National Guard Association of the United States;
▪ Interior Department of the United States;
▪ National Archives of the United States;
▪ Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority;
▪ Kiplinger Washington Editors;
▪ AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust;
▪ Roll Call Magazine;
▪ America Online;
▪ Erol's Internet;
▪ National Capital Revitalization Corp;
▪ National Multi Housing Council;
▪ American Institute of Architecture;
▪ American Iron & Steel Institute;
▪ Business Software Alliance, Inc;
▪ Institute of the Ironworking Industry;
▪ International Sleep Products Association;
▪ Am Immigration Lawyers Assoc;
▪ Assn. of Government Accountants; From January 1990 to July 2005 (15 years 7 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaCertified Public Accountant (CPA) / Senior Consultant / Banking @ GOVERNMENT CONTRACTING | BANKING | CPA | SYSTEMS
Worked as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Business Process Reengineering (BPR) consultant to facilitate liquidations of troubled Savings and Loans in connection with Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation (FSLIC) and Resolution Trust Corporation (RTC). From 1988 to 1990 (2 years) Washington D.C. Metro Area and nationallyController / SEC Reporting @ BROKER DEALER | SECURITIES | SEC FOCUS REPORTING | BACKOFFICE | SYSTEMS
Used Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Business Process Reengineering (BPR) experience to manage back office of self-clearing securities dealer. From 1987 to 1988 (1 year) Bethesda, MarylandCertified Public Accountant (CPA) / Senior Auditor / Banking @ AUDIT | REAL ESTATE| NOT FOR PROFITS | BANKING | SECURITIES | SYSTEMS
Senior level CPA conducted audits of Savings and Loans associations, security dealers, and non-profits. Assisted in development of "Regulation D" IPO of large real estate projects. From 1984 to 1987 (3 years) Washington D.C. Metro AreaAccountant @ REAL ESTATE | PROPERTY MANAGEMENT | CONTRACTS | BUILD OUT | RENTS
Accountant for a real estate developer and property management company. From 1983 to 1984 (1 year) Rosslyn, VirginiaAccountant @ PRINTING / MANUFACTURING | FULL CHARGE BOOKKEEPING | PAYROLL
Worked my way through college as an accountant for a printing company where we did accounting the old fashioned way: one write systems, traditional non computer based software ledgers and journals - which was a great experience learning finance and accounting before the introduction of the personal computer. From 1979 to 1982 (3 years) Silver Spring, MarylandAccountant @ REAL ESTATE | PROPERTY MANAGEMENT | AUDIT | BOOKKEEPING
Entry level position in audit, tax, booking. From 1978 to 1979 (1 year) Tysons Corner, Virginia
BS, Finance, Law + Information Systems @ University of Maryland - Robert H. Smith School of Business From 1978 to 1982 Growing and Learning, BS @ Walt Whitman High School From 1975 to 1978 Jack Deeds, CPA is skilled in: Great Plains, Grant Management, Financial Management, Financial Modeling, Corporate Finance, SQL Server, SharePoint, Problem Solving, Software Project..., .NET, Business Analysis, Team Building, Banking, Change Management, Software Development, Database Administration, Process Engineering, Real Estate, Financial Reporting, Government, Process Improvement, Team Leadership, Negotiation, Non-profits, Strategic Planning, Managerial Finance, Project Management, Grants, Program Management, Accounting, Internal Controls, Budgets, Forecasting, Management, Auditing, GAAP, Financial Analysis, Leadership, Business Strategy, Revenue Recognition, ERP, Project Planning, Risk Management, Financial Statements, Management Consulting, CPA, Cash Management, Federal Grants..., International..., Board Relations