Controller with CFO responsibilities @ Techniche Ltd
Bachelor of Science, Major: Accounting @
Indiana University Bloomington
SENIOR FINANCIAL EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP SUMMARY
A global senior finance executive with 20+ years leading teams to award-winning success for industry leaders. Proven accomplishments directing world-wide financial operations, and developing strategic economic evaluations and plans for an $800 MM investment in 11 global markets in Central and Southeast Europe, East Asia and Russia. Such complex projects underscore an
SENIOR FINANCIAL EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP SUMMARY
A global senior finance executive with 20+ years leading teams to award-winning success for industry leaders. Proven accomplishments directing world-wide financial operations, and developing strategic economic evaluations and plans for an $800 MM investment in 11 global markets in Central and Southeast Europe, East Asia and Russia. Such complex projects underscore an ability to lead and execute strategic financial projects globally and domestically. Thrives on analysis and processes that lead to efficiencies as evidenced by delivering $7MM in savings the first year of operating a new shared service business center. Recognized for financial leadership skills coupled with a focused ability to oversee, manage and produce financial and operational results.
Extensive business-related travel and professional experience to the following 14 countries:
Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Bulgaria, Germany, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Poland, Thailand, Turkey, Russia, UK and Vietnam
Specialties: Global Finance | Shared Service Centers | M&A | Purchasing | Profitability Analysis | Accountability | Process Improvement | Economic Evaluations | International Business | Strategic Financial Plans | Oil & Gas | Information Technology | Cash Management | International Tax | Transfer Pricing | Software | Business Development | Financial Planning
Chief Financial Officer @ Chief Financial Officer for leading electronics recycler and seller of refurbished computers. Reported to CEO with responsibility for Accounting, Human Resources, IT, Procurement, and Legislative Relations. Upgraded poorly performing accounting system to better support a fast growing and complex firm with six plants. Improved usefulness and timeliness of financial statements. Strong business advisor and partner with CEO.
• Used Change Management methodology to improve business processes and controls
• Reduced time to complete monthly closing from 10 days to 5 days
• Developed information systems to provide sales and operations oriented KPIs, decreasing overtime by 42%
• Implemented sales and operations incentives to increase profits by $120,000 annually
• Led efforts to change company culture to be fact based with single data source for making business decisions
• Provided tools and training to sales and transportation logistics teams to focus on profitability rather than revenue, increasing profits by $380,000 annually. From April 2014 to Present (1 year 9 months) Greater Chicago AreaConsultant @ Consultant for such firms as Tatum CFO, SALO, Baker Tilly Staffing, and a Chicago-based bank
• Developed financial evaluations, annual budget, and working capital forecasts for manufacturer
• Implemented 93% of the 25+ recommendations for global energy company’s procure-to-pay processes
• Produced 21% additional proceeds during Q1 after Go-Live by implementing economic models and approaches to maximize cash flow from sales of bank’s foreclosed properties
• Implemented SAP enhancement for global nutrition company; project completed on time From February 2013 to April 2014 (1 year 3 months) Controller with CFO responsibilities @ Reported to CEO. Responsible for all financial functions for firm listed on the Australian Stock Exchange including IFRS accounting, international transfer pricing and licensing, global cash management, business process improvement, budgeting, valuations, and software pricing.
• Led finance and accounting team with members based in the UK, Germany, US, and Australia to improve financial reporting, and reduce errors
• Implemented global software licensing agreement and stock ownership transfers to minimize taxes
• Designed and implemented intercompany charging system which enabled 4 day earlier monthly accounting closing From 2011 to April 2013 (2 years) Finance Director @ Milestone Award, 2009
Led an 11-person team accountable for the design and build of a shared service business center that processed financial transactions (e.g. purchase-to-pay, order-to-cash). Developed standardized financial processes to gain economies of scale and resulted in cost savings of 9% within the first 12 months of implementation. Created strategic plans and economic evaluations that resulted in a single center scenario.
• Reduced costs by $7.1MM within the first year by streamlining financial activities within the new service center
• Realigned and right-sized existing staff; hired new staff at adjusted market salaries to capture operational cost savings
• Centralized of 25+ finance and procurement positions from 3 cities into Chicago service center; reduced performance time by 7% From 2008 to 2011 (3 years) Process Director, Purchase-to-Pay @ Process Improvement Award, 2008
Promoted to direct BP’s largest A/P portfolio, accountable for processing over 2.2MM invoices annually, valued at $60B. Directed a team of 11 in the U.S. in addition to leading the relationship with an 110+member team based in India. Realized cost savings of $1.4MM ($720K annually) by improving processes and implementing staff training procedures.
• Developed, and integrated, payment process improvements which contributed $22MM in working capital savings
• Introduced credit card reporting system across 100% of U.S. BP divisions; uncovered five instances of internal fraud
• Standardized SAP-based procurement processes across 17 BP business units; realized 5% process reduction in invoicing
• Achieved $2.7MM in vendor early payment discounts by revising invoice processing and training procedures From 2006 to 2008 (2 years) Financial Planning and Analysis Manager @ Developed long-term strategic plans for $20B revenue business unit managing teams of 2 on a project basis to achieve financial and planning-based objectives. Developed risk mitigation strategies to minimize business process disruptions as a result of corporate reorganizations or natural disasters. Collaborated cross-functionally to deliver accurate and appropriate financial analyses.
• Evaluated cash flows; determined optimal alternatives to reduce asset base resulting in $49MM working capital reduction
• Developed forecasts and variances for actual and future plans on a 12 and 24-month basis for costs and variances
• Created management presentations to convey current financial forecasts and variances From 2004 to 2006 (2 years) Principal Financial Consultant and Finance Manager @ Directed full-scale financial consulting projects for this boutique financial consulting firm with a diverse client set ranging from start-ups such as designer Maria Pinto to global corporations with annual revenues of $100MM+. Served as the lead financial consultant and expert for clients to develop business plans, strategic financial plans and evaluations including those seeking to present plans to angel investors.
• Delivered 10% greater cash flow by improving customer collections and integrating efficient processes
• Achieved 11% annual cost reductions for a multi-national client by developing and implementing a global procurement system across 40+ countries
• Implemented financial and operating system improvements; resulted in 27% reduction in finance charges for leading fashion designer seeking angel investor funding From 1999 to 2004 (5 years) Marketing Acquisitions and Divestments Manager @ Amoco Executive Committee Award
Increased net income by $2.2MM annually through service station network acquisitions. Divested 135 service stations which delivered $18MM in profit; evaluated offers, organized location auctions and transfer of ownership. From 1996 to 1999 (3 years) International Market Studies Manager @ Led 4-person team that developed strategic plans for $800MM retailing investments in Russia, Poland and Romania and negotiated formation of $200MM joint venture. Created an award winning emerging market business plan for Turkey; interviewed as a global market expert on live TV. From 1993 to 1996 (3 years)
M.B.A., Specialty: Finance and Statistics @ The University of Chicago - Booth School of BusinessBachelor of Science, Major: Accounting @ Indiana University BloomingtonWork-Related Professional Training JEFF GERNS, MBA, CPA is skilled in: Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Financial Analysis, Forecasting, Accounting, Mergers, Risk Management, Strategy, Process Improvement, Analysis, Management, Cash Flow, Finance, Business Planning, Business Process Improvement, Strategic Planning
Looking for a different
JEFF GERNS, MBA, CPA?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension