Japanese Language and Business @
Elliott Burr brings a unique perspective to Edelman, having spent the first four years after college as a reporter/photojournalist, covering everything from city politics, crime and business to the occasional fire engine that collapses a bridge (bit.ly/19PTKUg). Now with Edelman for two and a half years, Elliott works with B2B enterprises large and small to dissect their
Elliott Burr brings a unique perspective to Edelman, having spent the first four years after college as a reporter/photojournalist, covering everything from city politics, crime and business to the occasional fire engine that collapses a bridge (bit.ly/19PTKUg). Now with Edelman for two and a half years, Elliott works with B2B enterprises large and small to dissect their company story and disseminate it strategically to the masses. He’s developed a keen expertise in enterprise technology, having worked with Silicon Valley networking magnates Juniper Networks and JDS Uniphase, as well as Ericsson, ClickFox and precision power/high-voltage leader Advanced Energy, to transform bits-and-bytes discussions into actual news stories. He has established a trusted rapport with media across technology, trade and several business publications. An International Business-graduate of Whittier College in southern California, Elliott also spent a semester studying the culture and language of Japan. In his spare time, he also enjoys cycling until he can’t see straight, lifting heavy things at the gym and building tree houses with friends.
Account Supervisor @ Provide strategic communications consulting, content creation (traditional and social) and media relations for enterprise/telco networking and other B2B clients. I seek to boil down complex geeky topics into something that might be cool to talk about at a cocktail party. Clients have included Juniper Networks, Ericsson, Viavi Solutions and Lumentum (post-JDSU separation), Network Instruments, Advanced Energy, Pulse Secure (a Juniper spin-off), ClickFox, Aquion Energy (maker of the world's only edible battery) and the Children's Discovery Museum of San Jose.
On the earlier side of my Edelman career, I spent roughly six months embedded at Juniper Networks as the temporary in-house service provider PR manager, working directly with marketing executives and the broader communications organization to shepherd through multiple projects/product launches. I gained valuable insight of the inner workings of the billion-dollar enterprise networking company and developed crucial relationships I was able to leverage later down the road after they hired a permanent in-house manager.
I've generally spent my time at Edelman leveraging my journalism experience to create smart PR campaigns on:
- positioning product/corporate narratives to communicate the notion that software in fact will not kill hardware vendors
- what business value network test, measurement and monitoring has in the face of infrastructure shifts to the cloud, SDN and NFV
- how MSOs and CSPs can stay competitive with the rise of OTT and cable-cutting
- the human side of global mobile-usage trends
- customer implementation feature stories and case studies
- leveraging network data in smarter ways to create new services and yield new insight about user behavior, network elements and application performance
- emerging wireless technologies, including LTE and 5G
I also send really good emails. From September 2015 to Present (2 months) San Mateo, CASenior Account Executive @ From September 2014 to September 2015 (1 year 1 month) San Mateo, CAAccount Executive @ From October 2012 to September 2014 (2 years) San Mateo, CAAccount Coordinator @ • Supported senior-level executives in media relations, press-list forging, project coordination and coverage reporting for deep-tech clients.
• Authored and built a multimedia-rich 6,500-word iBook for client’s value-added resellers about using social media for B2B marketing.
• Performed thorough research into burgeoning markets and tech trends. From April 2012 to August 2012 (5 months) San Jose, CAStaff Writer/Photo Editor/Magazine Editor/Food & Wine Editor @ • Wrote ~500 government, business, crime and/or feature stories across 3 cities.
• Grew coverage to comprise 42 percent of website’s page views per week.
• Earned several scoops over competitors through proactive networking/sourcing and persistent follow-up.
• Initiated, managed and marketed company’s online photo store.
• Responsible for all photo assignments, including editing submissions.
• Managed team of freelancers and contributors for monthly Food & Wine section and various seasonal magazines throughout the year.
• Named 2011 Employee of the Year. From December 2008 to April 2012 (3 years 5 months) Los Altos, CANewsletter Manager @ • Completely overhauled design and content of non-profit veteran organization's monthly newsletter, distributed nationally to thousands of veterans.
• Went from purely text-based pamphlet to glossy media-rich publication.
• Collaborated with organization's members to write original content and source material of interest to readership.
• Provided photography for all events and meetings.
• Utilized Adobe Creative Suite for graphic design and layout.
• Managed entire distribution and mailing process.
• Improved membership engagement. From 2009 to 2011 (2 years) Los Altos, CAWealth Management Intern @ • Developed ability to analyze financial statements, assess the viability of various equities, and relay information to high net worth clients.
• Executed a variety of client service and administrative functions. From October 2007 to December 2007 (3 months) Equity Research Associate @ • Assisted senior V.P. retailing analyst by searching and compiling information from Bloomberg, Internet, annual reports, and competitive research regarding economics of firms’ casual dining, ready-serve, and enhanced water sectors.
• Interfaced with analyst and utilized information to aid in formulating research report with buy/sell/hold stock rating. From June 2007 to August 2007 (3 months) Litigation Case Assistant @ • Constructed data charts, organized documents, and compiled research for attorneys and paralegals regarding intellectual property, patents and securities case. From May 2006 to August 2006 (4 months)
Bachelor's, International Buisiness @ Whittier College From 2004 to 2008 Japanese Language and Business @ Obirin Univiersity From 2007 to 2008 High School Diploma @ Pinewood School From 2000 to 2004 Photojournalism, Law @ Stanford University Continuing Studies From 2009 to 2011 Elliott Burr is skilled in: Content creation, Conversational Japanese, Pretty good at running..., Proper grammar, Writing, Digital Photography, Interpersonal Savvy, Media Relations, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, Triathlon, Cycling, Running, Social Media Marketing, Research, Rowing, crew, Newspaper, News Writing, Breaking News, Feature Articles, Journalism, Newspaper Design, Newsletter Production, Grammar, Networking, Ap Style, Content Strategy, Editing, Public Relations, Copy Editing, Web Content, Creative Writing, Photography, Magazines, Press Releases, Newspapers, Marketing, AP Style, Blogging, Content Development, Copywriting, Graphic Design, Storytelling, Editorial, Publicity, Strategic Communications, Crisis Communications, Facebook, Social Media
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension