Executive Technical Director - Palo Alto Research and Innovation Center @ Ford Motor Company
Board Observer @ CelLink Corporation
Board Observer @ Aquifi, Inc
University of California at Berkeley
A highly versatile management professional with significant sector breadth experience with Global Fortune 500 companies. Hands-on experience in commercialization, product development, strategy, technology insertion and management of large cross functional teams across various business units. Strong analytical background and quantitative skills enhanced by a PhD in engineering and an MBA with focus on Finance and Corporate Strategy.
A highly versatile management professional with significant sector breadth experience with Global Fortune 500 companies. Hands-on experience in commercialization, product development, strategy, technology insertion and management of large cross functional teams across various business units. Strong analytical background and quantitative skills enhanced by a PhD in engineering and an MBA with focus on Finance and Corporate Strategy. Extensive international experience and fluency in foreign languages. CFA Candidate (passed Level I).
Technical Director - Palo Alto Research and Innovation Center @ Managing strategic technologies for autonomous vehicles (ADAS), mobility, connectivity (telematics), user experience and big data.
Building a strong team in a highly competitive talent landscape.
Communicating with the C-level executives, board members, media and financial analysts.
Scouting for new technologies and collaborating with startups and VCs. From January 2015 to Present (1 year) Sr. Controls Systems Engineer @ Designed the Optical Image Stabilization controls for the iPhones 6 Plus camera.
Built the camera Controls group from zero to a world-class team. From January 2013 to January 2015 (2 years 1 month) R&D Manager @ Strategic Ventures Development
• Reported to the President of Strategic Ventures Development
• Led the commercialization of several technologies with potential licensing revenues of over $100 million. Developed business plans, identified commercialization roadmap and helped secured funding. Invloved in deal negotiations domestically and internationally.
• Built complex financial models and performed financial, technical and IP due diligence for several multi-million dollar investments and M&A activities. Identified synergies, risks and commercial opportunities. Presented recommendations to the CEO and CFO of Lockheed Martin.
• Fostered innovation through a program with the original Skunkworks group.
• Developed a comprehensive strategy to enter adjacent markets by identifying technologies with commercialization potential. Successfully transferred technologies in several sectors including energy, nanotechnology, security, healthcare, electronics and automotive.
• Managed interactions between R&D, Manufacturing, Business Development and external customers.
• Developed new business opportunities in Singapore, Australia and Holland.
Technology Development and Management
• Managed a team of over 30 engineers focusing on mechatronics, controls and embedded systems.
• In three months turned around a project previous stalled for two years.
• Developed and managed a technology roadmap, customer interaction, finances, resource allocation, make/buy decisions, schedule, deliverables and IP portfolio for several multi-million dollar projects.
• Hands-on development of real-time software for electro-optical and controls applications. From June 2005 to January 2013 (7 years 8 months) Systems Design Manager @ Recruited by the VP of R&D to provide project management, product planning and advanced technology development.
• Provided cross-functional project management for a five-person team (PhDs and MS) including product planning, scheduling, resource allocation and customer interface
• Oversaw multi-million dollar projects by managing domestic and global vendors and suppliers in Asia and Europe and ensuring delivery of programs on-time and on-budget
Product Strategy and Planning
• Coordinated with vendors, suppliers and partners to ensure timely delivery of project outcomes
• Visited customer sites and developed product strategy based on customer input
• Developed and implemented technologies realizing savings of over $500,000 annually
• Patent 6,770,862 issued; two patents pending
• Extensive use of LabView and Matlab (including a LabView-Matlab interface package available at ni.com) From May 2001 to June 2005 (4 years 2 months) Senior Systems Engineer @ Identified and evaluated cutting-edge technologies and collaborated with local partners to develop innovative products
• Managed all product development phases including idea generation, funding proposals, system definition, prototype development and product planning.
• Proposed, secured funding and managed research projects with various universities and research institutes
• Presented telematics business models to the CEO and CFO of BMW, AG.
Product and Prototype Development
• Extensive experience with automotive electronics, wireless networking protocols, navigation systems, radar, GPS and digital map databases.
• Hands-on, rapid prototype design and development including electronic circuit design, hardware and software
• Collaborated with BMW’s industrial design group and the BMW Williams Formula One race team to integrate telemetry, hardware and software for a helmet head-up display compliant with racing environment. From June 1999 to May 2001 (2 years) Fellow Visiting Scientist @ Won the United States-Japan Industry and Technology Management Program Fellowship to study modeling and controls of automotive systems.
Designed, implemented and conducted vehicle tests of controls algorithms for the first generation autonomous cruise control using a laser radar. From August 1997 to December 1997 (5 months) Visiting Research Scholar @ Developed stability controls for heavy trucks (lorries). From June 1997 to August 1997 (3 months) Cambridge, United KingdomVisiting Researcher @ Developed controls for autonomous electric vehicles. From May 1995 to August 1995 (4 months)
MBA, Business @ University of California, Berkeley - Walter A. Haas School of Business From 2005 to 2008 PhD, Mechanical Engineering @ University of California at Berkeley From 1995 to 1997 MS, Mechanical Engineering @ University of California at Berkeley From 1992 to 1994 BS, Mechanical Engineering @ Rutgers University From 1988 to 1992 Dragos Maciuca is skilled in: Business Strategy, M&A due diligence, Mergers, Acquisition Analysis, New Business Development, International Business, Business Management, Financial Modeling, Financial Analysis, Business Modeling, Technical Analysis, Product Development, Automotive, Aerospace/Defense, Semiconductor Industry
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension