Experienced software developer with background in information retrieval, private and public cloud applications. Experienced in Java, JAXB, XML, Lucene, eclipse, J2EE Application Servers, Databases, Hibernate, RESTful Web Services, JAX-RS, C#, C++, STL, Boost, software security and Internet technology. Experienced with many operating systems and platforms. Excellent problem solving and communication skills with a proven history of shipping
Experienced software developer with background in information retrieval, private and public cloud applications. Experienced in Java, JAXB, XML, Lucene, eclipse, J2EE Application Servers, Databases, Hibernate, RESTful Web Services, JAX-RS, C#, C++, STL, Boost, software security and Internet technology. Experienced with many operating systems and platforms. Excellent problem solving and communication skills with a proven history of shipping products.
Specialties: Search and retrieval system development.
C#, C++ and Java languages. Linux, Windows .NET, RESTful Services, WCF, and WSDL web services developer. Scalable, multi-threaded, and multi-tier systems development experience.
Senior Principal Software Engineer, CTO Office - Veritas Cloud Engineering @ Develop cloud-agnostic platform services for Veritas SaaS products. From August 2015 to Present (5 months) Principal Software Engineer @ Develop enhancements to Production Auto Learning and document image classification system in C#. From March 2015 to August 2015 (6 months) Principal Software Engineer @ Developed and Delivered version 1.0 of Supplier Exchange, a SaaS application based on Pivotal Cloud Foundry for sharing and collaborating on documents.
• Developed and document procedures for DevOps to manage Linux virtual machine infrastructure upgrades.
• Implemented enhancements to the product core object types and traits system.
• Enhanced performance of REST services of Next Generation Information Server. From October 2013 to March 2015 (1 year 6 months) Principal Software Engineer @ Development of Control Center policy engine, Content Text Extraction and Analysis for Data Loss Prevention.
• Enhanced Text extraction and content analysis components to improve reliability and performance.
• Implemented secure (LDAPS) access for enrollment of user data from Active Directory and LDAP servers.
• Resolved security vulnerabilities identified in Vericode scan of JSP Web server code.
• Created early prototype of Enterprise Digital Rights Management product idea, allowing secure collaboration.
• Enhanced product usability for complex enrollment tasks. From May 2012 to October 2013 (1 year 6 months) Principal Software Engineer @ Content Analysis, Text Mining, and Data Categorization for Data Loss Prevention. From June 2009 to May 2012 (3 years) Sr. Software Engineer @ Capture and Production project team member.
* Supported Email Capture service, written in C# .NET, fixing several I18N issues.
* Supported third-party software release integrations for Document Conversion service.
* Developed new WCF Interfaces required by functionality being added to the product.
* Converted services to run in Windows x64 mode to utilize memory and processors better. From January 2008 to January 2009 (1 year 1 month) Sr. Software Engineer @ Member of Development team working on multi-system server software implemented in Java and C#. Contributed to development of the Analysis Service which is written in Java, using Lucene, and is an Axis2 Web Service used by our Email Capture software running on Windows as a C# .NET service.
* Wrote People Index Manager which keeps track of people email identities in a Lucene index.
* Implemented text language categorization using N-Gram frequency fingerprint distances to determine which language a document is written in.
* Implemented various SOAP marshaling APIs and JSP test pages needed by new system.
* Supported Production module, which prepares data for handover during legal cases.
* Supported Document conversion to HTML. Wrote new service implementation using .NET WCF and C#. From January 2006 to January 2008 (2 years 1 month) Software Architect @ Designed and Developed solutions for Questra Intelligent Device Management (IDM) customers. Applications were written in C++, C#, and Java.
* Designed and developed WSDL (XML) Web Services for customer solution.
* Implemented product modifications and extensions required by customers.
* Conducted multi-day training courses for customers on use of product.
* Coordinated and performed onsite installations of multi-tier J2EE application server, including: BEA Weblogic Server, Oracle or MS SQL Server. From May 2004 to December 2005 (1 year 8 months) Software Architect @ Developed Information retrieval system targeting litigation support.
* Defined system architecture and developed software for early prototype.
* Wrote Windows specific C++ code dealing with COM object exposed Microsoft APIs for structured storage and IFilter to enable searching Office documents and PDF files.
* Wrote Java GroupWise Email extraction application.
* Wrote enhancements to Lotus Notes Email extractor, written in Java.
* Mentored junior team members. From February 2002 to April 2004 (2 years 3 months) Software Architect @ Created and led new development team to build COM and Java objects for Verity Search. This became the primary API used by customers to build solutions based on Verity's scaleable K2 information retrieval system.
* Produced ASP/COM and Java objects for seven releases of K2 product.
* Based on feedback from customers requiring J2EE support, studied J2EE specifications and provided development plan to support J2EE, released in K2 3.1 version of product.
* Provided coordination of activities between two Verity development labs, a third party, and Verity consulting.
* Coordinated with Marketing, Quality Assurance, Documentation, and Technical Support on all aspects of product release.
* Project managed large customer accounts, vendor relationships, and external programs.
* Coordination and technical liaison with Business Development for large OEM accounts.
* Participated in several sales calls where customers needed additional technical information. From March 1998 to July 2001 (3 years 5 months) Software Engineer @ Product Development of Imaging Server Consumer Solutions( photo.hp.com).
Product Development of OLE/COM CORBA type mapping software.
Product Development of HP Odapter Object-Oriented Database.
Investigated technology of strategic value to HP's distributed computing business. Ported ParcPlace Smalltalk Virtual Machine to the HP-PA MPE/iX platform.
Maintained and enhanced the Software Dump Facility (SDF), Diagnostic Utility System (DUS),
and MPE Operating System Segmented Library Manager Utility. From April 1984 to March 1998 (14 years)
BS, Computer Science, Mathematics Minor @ Union College/UNL Doug Washburn is skilled in: Software Development, Cloud Computing, Web Services, Distributed Systems, Linux, Java, Object Oriented Design, XML, Enterprise Software, Java Enterprise Edition, Oracle, Multithreading, Software Engineering, SOA, Databases
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension