Bachelor of Science (BSc)in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering @
University of Brasilia
MSc in Drilling Engineering, working on the latest 6th gen semi-subs and drill ships with dual derrick for NOCs and IOCs. Due to personality, skills and experience have had a progressive career spanning 9 years of ultra-deep water experience. Rose from Drilling Engineer to Drilling Superintendent managing simultaneous operations on two 6th gen Deepwater rigs with a
MSc in Drilling Engineering, working on the latest 6th gen semi-subs and drill ships with dual derrick for NOCs and IOCs. Due to personality, skills and experience have had a progressive career spanning 9 years of ultra-deep water experience. Rose from Drilling Engineer to Drilling Superintendent managing simultaneous operations on two 6th gen Deepwater rigs with a budget in excess of $800MM/ year.
Well design advisor and subsea operations expert utilizing unconventional drilling technologies such as MPD, PMCD. As drilling superintendent managed the preparation and operation of exploratory campaigns consisting of 6 wells in Ultra-deep water (up to 2450m), +3000m of salt, HPHT and fractured carbonates. As Drilling Supervisor drilling over 30 Deep-water wells along Brazil’s Coast, GoM/Cuba, China Sea.
• Revised contract strategies, pre-qualifications, tenders, negotiations, evaluations and awarded Offshore Rig (semi-submersible)
• Worked in remote locations in the Atlantic and pacific, in small teams with minimum technical support.
• Developed operator team into Deepwater operations by mentoring and training new staff to subsea operations.
• As Drilling Superintendent managed an exploration campaign from scratch to well delivery of 6 Deepwater wells in Brazil. Including the cheapest and the fastest pre-salt well in 2100m WD. Overall, the scheduled AFE was reduced by 29% resulting in a total saving of 30MM USD.
• Focal point for JV Deepwater exploration projects Between BG, Repsol and PETROBRAS in Brazil.
• Establish best in class well performance and standardized programmes for other wells in the pre-salt area.
• Due to programme standardization, DTL implementation & cost optimization initiatives, AFE times were reduced by 8% in subsea wells.
• Reduced NPT from 20% to 12% within 1-year through aggressive QA/QC of third party equipment and rig equipment.
• Development & implementation of MPD well control procedures for INPEX in Malaysia.
Well Operations Manager @ Libera is a specialist Engineering and Projects Company headquartered in Dubai. The company offers a wide range of Engineering and Project Management services that allows our clients to address the most challenging upstream oil and gas activities in High Pressure High Temperature(HPHT), Deepwater, Extended Reach and high angle wells. Our chartered team of Engineering Consultants specialise in providing upstream oil and gas services such as:
• Engineering and Design of Drilling, completions, well testing, production systems and optimisation.
• Risk Assessment and mitigation plans.
• Procurement and sourcing of operation service contracts.
• Provision of quality assurance and quality control of equipment, personnel, procedures and service delivery.
• Management and direct supervision of drilling, completions, well testing, production optimisation and facilities all associated operations.
• Global procurement, rental and delivery of manufactured OCTG. From 2014 to Present (1 year) Senior Drilling Supervisor @ • Lead supervisor on Ensco 8504 (6th generation semi-sub) drilling two narrow window deep-water wells (WD 1000-1200m) off the coast of Sabah, Malaysia, using MPD. The second well was a HPHT.
• Working in a small team, inexperienced in deep-water operations and in MPD and HPHT operations
• During the project phase, worked in the office developing the MPD well design and casing setting depths for both wells.
• Wrote the detail drilling guidelines for both wells including the MPD procedures.
• Wrote the operational hazard assessment for both wells.
• Assisted the preparation of HAZID, HAZOP and DWOP.
• Responsible for training and monitoring the staff NDSVs and well site engineers. From June 2014 to May 2015 (1 year) Senior Drilling Supervisor (Consultant) @ • Lead supervisor on the Rigs Hakuryu 5 (semi-sub JDC), and Naga 1(semi-sub JDC). Drilling high logistic demanding shallow water wells (150m WD) in Malaysia.
• Supervised drilling operations on fractured carbonates, preparing detail-drilling instructions utilizing PMCD system.
• Drilled one ERW well in Malaysia and 9 exploratory wells in fractured carbonates in the South China Sea using PMCD.
• Responsible for training and assessment of the new group of drilling engineers and NDSVs trainees.
• Supervised drilling operations on an ERW, the longest well 6.681m drilled in South China Sea, beating the previous record by over 1000mover 1000m.
• Performed the longest production liner job (+/-1.200m) in the area, using an expandable liner hanger.
• Proven ability to maintain an exceptional safety record, achieving a 7-year history of operation management with zero time lost to accident or injury to self or subordinates due to attention to detail and training in worksite safety. From January 2013 to June 2014 (1 year 6 months) Day Drilling Supervisor (Ultra-deepwater) - Consultant. @ • Responsible for drilling operations on an exploratory well, the first well of PDVSA in ultra-deep waters (2150m) in the Gulf of Mexico using a 6th Gen dual activity rig, Scarabeo 9 from Saipem (ENI).
• Implemented the use of a new MPD technology from AGR called EC-Drill, which consisted of an MPD system that controls the riser level, controlling the BHP, and minimizing losses. From 2012 to 2013 (1 year) Drilling Superintendent (Ultra Deepwater) - Staff @ • Chief of operations for two 6th gen. semi-subs, West Orion and Sevan Driller, concurrently. During this period, managed 6 exploratory wells (TVD around 5600 to 6800m) with shallow hazards. Cost per exploratory well from 80-130 Mi. USD.
• Had direct responsibility (24/7) for managing drilling operations in HPHT carbonate reservoirs in ultra-deep waters (+2000m) and coordinate a team of 8 Drilling supervisors.
• Personally responsible for providing technical support and preparation of drilling programs.
• As Drilling Superintendent was fully responsible for the drilling operations in the rigs:
o Seadrill West Orion (6th Gen Semi sub)
o Sevan Drilling (6th Gen Semi sub)
Coordinated all the operations in a HPHT well in Santos Basin, with a 6th Gen Rig in ultra-deep waters, drilling salt and fractured carbonate formations.
Just after assuming the position of D. Sup, implemented improvements on the already approved well design program by PETROBRAS, BG and Repsol-Sinopec. Completed all the operations, 30 days ahead schedule in (3-BRSA-1023-SPS), an ultra-deep water well (W.D. 2149m, TVD 5.250m) using a 6th Gen rig.
• Remote launch and recovery of DP transponders.
• Navigate with BOP hanging at 1800m. Performed BOP records analysis, and sea floor mapping.
• M/up 30”and 20” parallel, on side trolley on moon pool deck, sent the 13-5/8” in doubles to the rig to minimize make up times.
• Changed the wellhead tool plans to run casing and pack-off on same run, and press test BOP.
• Implemented a test of a new technology of wired drill pipe to improve real time quality and save wireline runs
• Performed fluid program changes, which allowed drilling the salt layer faster with less fluency, creep of the salt.
• Performed bits and BHA program change on the carbonate section, improving the ROP from an expected 1.5-3m/h to 8.5m/h with connection time.
In the overall, the project cost 29% less than the original AFE, total savings of 30MM USD. From October 2011 to September 2012 (1 year) Senior Drilling Supervisor (Ultra-Deepwater) - Staff @ • Worked as Drilling Supervisor on a pool of 8 floating rigs (semi subs and drill ships) for the exploration division. During that period participated as day drilling supervisor in more than 30 exploration wells in ultra-deep waters. Had participated in the exploration and appraisal campaign some Giant Oil fields with more than 500 Mi. barrels, like Libra, Lula, Iara, Carcara.
• Experienced in drilling HPHT and pre-salt wells with shallow hazards associated at Santos Basin (BM-S-8, BM-S-9, and BM-S-11). (TVD about 5000-7300m).
• Experienced in working in the newest drill ships and 6th Gen semi subs and dual activity rigs.
• Experienced in acceptance test. Coordinated the acceptance test of the rigs Cajun Express (5th Gen semi-sub Transocean) coming from GOM and in 2009 of Ocean Valor (6th Gen semi-sub Diamond) coming from shipyard to start operations for the first time.
• Responsible on site for HSE management and audit processes as well as risk assessment.
• Experienced in MPD systems.
• As DSV worked in many different geological environments mostly carbonate reservoirs at the following rigs:
o Seadrill: West Orion (6th Gen DP Semi sub) and West Eminence (6th Gen DP Semisub, Dual Derrick,)
o Sevan Drilling (6th Gen DP Semi sub)
o Stena Drillmax (6thGen Drill Ship, dual mast)
o Transocean: Cajun Express (5th Gen Semi sub); and Deepwater Discovery (6thgen Drill Ship) From May 2009 to October 2011 (2 years 6 months) Engineer and Night Drilling Supervisor @ • As part as the company intensive training for drilling supervisors. The Drilling Engineer performed a mentored operational training of 10 hitches, as night DSV, drilling ultra-deep water exploratory wells. After completing the training, another evaluation was done. Some engineers remained in operational positions and assumed day drilling supervisors, and others will be selected to office-based positions as drilling engineers. I assumed as Day Drilling Supervisor for the exploration division of the biggest Deepwater driller in the world.
• Participated initially in the well design team and move forwards to work offshore as Well Site Engineer assisting on operations planning for the deep-water exploratory division.
• The admission process to become a staff Drilling engineer in PETROBRAS is one of the toughest assessments in the oil and gas industry, with a success rate as low as 1.0%.
• Ranked in top 200 on a National Engineering Exam with other 18.809 engineers. (Data from Cesgranrio for the 2008 National Exam for Petroleum Engineers)
• Complete a 630h Master program in PETROBRAS University. PETROBRAS University was awarded 3 times best Corporate University in the world. From 2007 to 2009 (2 years)
Master's Degree, Drilling and Completions Operations @ Petrobras University From 2008 to 2009 Bachelor of Science (BSc)in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering @ University of Brasilia From 2002 to 2007 Diego Cunha De Souza is skilled in: Oil/Gas, Drilling, Offshore Operations, Offshore Drilling, Petroleum Engineering, Drilling Engineering, Well Control, Well Construction, Wellbore Stability, Well Testing, Drilling Fluids, Directional Drilling, well, Oil & Gas, Petroleum
Looking for a different
Diego Cunha De Souza?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension