To apply more than 30 years of Operations experience in manufacturing; to continue to build and direct teams of good people, dedicated to high performance, efficiency and pragmatic use of continuous improvement tools. Taking care of these teams, so that strategies, tactics, problem solving and good decisions can be ensured - for smooth growth, sustained profitability
To apply more than 30 years of Operations experience in manufacturing; to continue to build and direct teams of good people, dedicated to high performance, efficiency and pragmatic use of continuous improvement tools. Taking care of these teams, so that strategies, tactics, problem solving and good decisions can be ensured - for smooth growth, sustained profitability and customer satisfaction.
Team & Project Leadership-----Multiple Operations Management-----Full P&L Management-----Quality & Engineering Systems-----Ongoing Process Optimization-----Waste & Cost Reduction-----Supply Chain Logistics Improvement-----Staff Development-----Site Safety-----Continuous Operations Improvement-----Business Development------Asian Business Acumen
General Manager @ • Established lean operation in Shanghai, China, and brought startup to profitability.
• Developed and executed business strategies for China operations.
• Obtained the proper licenses to manufacture, import, export and sell domestically.
• Operation Equipment Efficiency (OEE) rate averaged 94% over 5 years.
• Successfully introduced “lights out” injection moulding.
• Improved DPPM level from more than 3,000 to less than 80.
• Developed and managed sales strategies for China and the rest of Asia with year over year growth of 16%
• Built export-based business on sourced and manufactured products. Supported sister operations in North America and Europe.
• Planned, managed, and improved Profit and Loss statement.
• Reduced overall product costs:
o Internal manufactured goods by 37% through work cell redesign and component sourcing.
o Sourced product by 81% through improved supply chain management.
• Hired and built local team to administer, manufacture, source, and sell, with only 2% staff turnover during the previous 4 years.
• Actively promoted from within and developed key team members to ensure smooth succession planning.
• Managed China team of 50+ people. From June 2008 to September 2015 (7 years 4 months) Shanghai Suburb, ChinaDirector @ Beacon Holding, Ltd was a business partner of nLighten Technology
• Wrote 17 business plans, including P&L’s, that became funded.
• Sourced and exported batteries from AAA to forklift, auto and marine. Sourced, developed and exported rice irrigation pipe, gating and installation tools. From June 2004 to December 2009 (5 years 7 months) Shanghai City, ChinaDirector of Manufacturing @ • Reduced product costs by 90.4% through redesign and material negotiation.
• Turned an engineering prototype consumer electronics product into a marketable product in 6 months.
• Established manufacturing sites in China, Taiwan, and Mexico including the design and oversight of installation of Class 1000 clean room for proprietary light engine manufacture.
• Hired and trained manufacturing team to ensure smooth succession.
• Managed China, Taiwan and Mexico operations teams of 150+
• Awarded US Patent 7324734. Being the sixth person listed on this patent, the last one; I brought a fresh set of eyes and problem solving skills to the teams ideas creating humanly possible solutions, creating a patentable component and process. From January 2006 to February 2008 (2 years 2 months) Shanghai City, ChinaVice President @ • Worked with local government officials to secure land and receive approvals for exporting product.
• Built 5-building campus from green field, recruited and hired all key staff, built a successful team, and grew the operation from 20 million per year in the first year to 220 million per year by the third year.
• Built and assisted in redesign of consumer electronics subassemblies for EchoStar and Carrier Systems.
• Reduced defects from 40% to less than 1%. Previous defect rate from sourced components, delivered to customer’s facility - versus internal rejection rate.
• Virtually no defective product received at our customers facilities during this time.
• Due to reduced defect rates and cost savings, all Asian, North American and European business shifted from outsourcing to internally manufactured, causing massive growth for the company.
• Managed China and Taiwan teams of 400+ From January 1999 to July 2005 (6 years 7 months) Shanghai City, ChinaQuality Manager @ • Implemented ISO 9001: 1987 and 1994.
• Automated data collection and developed statistical analysis procedures.
• Transferred quality functions to Engineering and Manufacturing, which reduced defect rate from 30% to less than 2% in 6 months.
• Assisted in establishing manufacturing operations in Mexico.
• At customer’s request (Sony and JVC), reduced costs by 17%, and consulted with customer to assist them in similar reductions in their manufacturing costs.
• Assisted in development of 90 Day Improvement Projects, which yielded lean processing, operational and product level savings.
• Managed multiple site teams of 30+ From 1992 to January 1999 (7 years) Quality & Engineering Manager @ • Established MIL-Q 9585a quality standards for defense business.
• Developed high brightness/low heat lamp source.
• Brought internal defect rate from 21% to less than 3%.
• Developed single light source for Class 8 truck dash backlighting, connecting 8 lighting ribbons.
• Worked on the team that developed a Class 8 vehicle blind spot viewer.
• Developed equipment for increased productivity, resulting in an increase of 150% (20 to 50 parts per man-hour).
• Reduced costs by 31% based on improvements driven by quality data and statistical analysis.
• Managed teams of 20+ From 1990 to 1992 (2 years) Transducer Manufacturing Manager @ • Developed a collaborative team of engineers and line production workers resulting in a:
o 12% cost reduction in products through collaborative redesign of components and processes
o Drop in service-call repairs from 24% to less than 1% for Transducers
• Managed production of ultrasound transducer equipment for cardiology, women’s health care, general imaging, critical care, emergency medicine, liver imaging, refurbished vascular systems – ultrasound, transducers and systems care.
• Managed teams of 15+ From 1989 to 1990 (1 year) Plant Manager @ • Redesigned manufacturing operation to reduce costs and improve manufacturability
• Brought company to initial profitability
• Reduced scrap and improved P&L write-offs.
• Managed disc pack assembly and repair, hard drive repair and disaster recovery, and tape cleaning service lines.
• Managed teams of 20+ From 1986 to 1989 (3 years)
Statistical Analysis @ University of Wisconsin-MadisonProductivity and Motivation @ California State University-FullertonGolden West College From 1980 to 1982 Dave Poppell is skilled in: Manufacturing, Lean Manufacturing, Continuous Improvement, Management, Start-ups, Injection Molding, Automotive, Product Development, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Strategic Planning, Six Sigma, Product Management, New Business Development, Engineering Management, Engineering
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension