Enterprise Programme Architect @ Nationwide Building Society
Is proficient in the architecture of infrastructure, systems, applications, integration and security. Recognizes and understands the issues and opportunities that face today’s companies. Leads and mentors technical teams to produce their best. Has a broad, extensive set of technical expertise and the business acumen to resolve critical business-issues and recognize appropriate opportunities. Has architecture and roadmap experience,
Is proficient in the architecture of infrastructure, systems, applications, integration and security. Recognizes and understands the issues and opportunities that face today’s companies. Leads and mentors technical teams to produce their best. Has a broad, extensive set of technical expertise and the business acumen to resolve critical business-issues and recognize appropriate opportunities. Has architecture and roadmap experience, ensuring that current and future technology aligns with corporate vision. Has solution architecture experience ensuring that projects are addressing business needs while meeting project milestones—with as little fuss as necessary. Experience is broad and extensive: from hands-on technical to management, low-level design to enterprise architecture, solution architecture to planning to implementation to support handoff. Has provided influence and leadership in a variety of IT projects, using a variety of platforms, systems and frameworks. Experience in dealing with the issues and challenges facing emerging companies to large, multi-national companies. Knows the value of process, but also thinks outside the box. Experience with global operations of corporations: in Canada, UK, New Zealand, US, Germany, Netherlands, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Argentina, Mexico, and Chile.
Director / IT Consultant @ As Director is responsible for all aspects of Nexus 7: the sole director and consultant. From December 1995 to Present (20 years 1 month) Vancouver, Canada AreaSolution Architect @ As Solution Architect primarily responsible for Solution Architecture, Solution Delivery Proposals, and Solution (High-Level) Design.
• architecture & design • requirements gathering & analysis • lead design meetings • high-level & detailed design documents • direct Tech Analysts • delivery reviews with Portfolio & Project Managers • internal architectural initiatives • project/design reviews • project implementation estimates • From April 2015 to October 2015 (7 months) Solution Architect Lead @ As Senior Solutions Architect provided enterprise architecture, strategy, planning, continuous improvement, design and delivery of solutions. Collaborated with KiwiRail IT architects on life cycle planning, architectural principles, policies and standards. Architected for change. As Architect Lead on KORMS, a $25M+ multi-year, programme transitioning KiwiRail Freight legacy systems to completely new bespoke architecture and platforms. This included architecting and designing an event-driven, SOA for operations, booking, billing, invoicing, analytics, workflow, task management, logistics, platforms and SSO. Three direct reports as architecture lead, some parttime (project-based) reports. Also responsible for directing many vendor resources. The programme included: custom development, integration services, platform selection, web, application servers, document storage, security, workflow, rules, graph and NoSQL databases, search, event recording, analytics, audit and infrastructure. Key activities and deliverables include: Design, Architecture, Implementation Planning, Strategy, and Documentation.
• SOA • event-driven • ReSTful (JSON & HTTP) • Spring Framework on Java • test driven • DevOps • continuous deployment • git, maven & Jenkins • Tomcat 7 • clustered Mule ESB: integrating services, SAP, BI, legacy, B2B, SaaS & cloud services • EAI patterns • UML modeling • Sparx EA • SSO with AD, NetScalers & Spring Security • data analytics on CouchDB, Elasticsearch & Kibana • event history service— CouchDB, indexed with Elasticsearch • graph database Neo4J • geographically HA • integrated SaaS workflow, task management • cloud-based SSO • VMWare & GoPivotal • SUSE Enterprise Linux • requirements gathering/analysis with business analysts • vendor selection • integration with custom SAP Billing & Invoicing app • architecture & standards for KiwiRail SharePoint • TOGAF • From February 2013 to July 2014 (1 year 6 months) Solutions Architect @ As Solutions Architect ensured the appropriate delivery of architecture and design within projects. Also responsible for Enterprise Architecture within B2C department, aligning with EDF Energy and EDF Group as a whole. Developed the Solution Architect Roadmap template. Developed technology and strategic roadmaps for various business objectives, technology categories, and BAU. Developed a visual, analytic tool for dynamically displaying maturity and confidence for roadmaps, programmes and larger projects.
• BI • Analytics • Big Data architecture: SAP, structured, unstructured, semi-structured & smart-meter data sources• Hadoop with SAP HANA • SharePoint B2C SA site • SharePoint architecture & adoption • SaaS for BI & Analytics • architecture/adoption for web SOA (mostly using SAP PI) • SAP – Billing & Finance • SAP – CRM • Pricing • Metering & MOP • Reporting • Business Analytics • Big Data • third-party systems • Digital • SharePoint • Industry & General systems • Telephony • TOGAF • From April 2012 to January 2013 (10 months) London, United KingdomSenior Infrastructure Architect @ As Senior Infrastructure Architect for HP, for their BP account, responsible for Data Centre Services (DCS) Architecture at the Global Data Centre Operations/Solutions located in BP Data Centres. Accountability for the high-level design of solutions and cost models. Wintel servers, MidRange (Servers, Database, and Web Hosting & Middleware), Storage and Backup.
• Wintel • mid-range • database • web-hosting • middleware • storage • backup • requirements gathering & analysis • governance • high-level & detailed design • QA • From February 2012 to April 2012 (3 months) London, United KingdomEnterprise Solutions Architect @ As Enterprise Solutions Architect for the Technology Services division responsible for solutions architecture; providing solutions and services throughout Xchanging and to external customers. Pre-sales consulting for internal and external business clients. Enterprise Architecture for Technology Services and Xchanging as a whole. Primary resource for all security architecture. Developed the solution for a standard desktop experience for offshore, near-shore and internal employees using hybrid cloud technologies. Developed a solution for a SharePoint front-end to provide app delivery, hosting and remote session management for offshore and onshore users. • requirements gathering & analysis • proposals • solution design & documentation
• Wintel • Mainframe • Mid-range • Networking • remote desktop (Citrix) • End-User Computing initiative (for Gatwick Airport) • strategic technical roadmaps • private & hybrid cloud strategy • From April 2010 to September 2011 (1 year 6 months) London, United KingdomEnterprise Solutions Architect @ As Enterprise Solutions Architect for the Enterprise Architecture Team responsible for developing technical roadmaps for Husky’s entire systems infrastructure. Developed the architecture and implementation plan to migrate from Novell systems to Microsoft systems. Developed integration standards for web/SAP (NetWeaver, PI & XI).
• TOGAF • ARIS • SharePoint • From October 2008 to September 2009 (1 year) Enterprise Architect @ As Enterprise Architect responsible for developing Fortis Alberta’s enterprise architecture and solution architecture for major projects. Developed technology and security roadmaps, ensuring all were aligned with business vision and objectives.
• Active Directory • security • energy apps • content-filtering • DR data centre design • virtualization • web server • storage • database consolidation • SQL Server • Oracle RAC • HA & clustering • Citrix Access Gateway • remote access • WAN optimization • server consolidation • SAP • web services integration: BizTalk, NetWeaver & MQSeries • partner network rationalization • SharePoint • TOGAF • ARIS • From September 2007 to October 2008 (1 year 2 months) Web and Middleware Architect @ As Web and Middleware Architect responsible for analyzing, architecting, designing and planning of web, middleware and security within Petro-Canada. Directed technical personnel to ensure web and middleware platforms and services met high standards of performance and reliability. Developed and implemented security architecture for web and middleware: multi-factor authentication, reduced sign-on, PCI compliance, SSL certificate authority and deployment. Designs and implementations were directly responsible for savings of over $650K in one year.
• security policies • PCI • F5 • SSL VPN • public/retail web • DNS • proxy • load balancers • Oracle Grid Control • Oracle Application Server • Tomcat • Sun Identity Manager: integration with AD, Radius & RSA • DNS • web portal • RSA SecurID/Access Manager • SharePoint • web HA • monitoring & reporting • From May 2006 to July 2007 (1 year 3 months) Senior Technical Architect @ As Senior Technical Architect responsible for analyzing, architecting, designing, and planning technical systems and security within NETeller. As senior technical resource was responsible for mentoring systems personnel. Developed technology and security roadmaps.
• AD • security • encryption • auditing • storage • SMTP gateway • Exchange • archiving • IIS • Apache • JBOSS • TomCat • JRockit • Blackberry BES • Microsoft Live Communications Server • monitoring • ITIL • From July 2005 to April 2006 (10 months) Web and Middleware Architect @ As Web & Middleware Architect responsible for analyzing, designing, securing and optimizing web and multi-tier applications for the Data Management group within Burlington.
• IIS • ASP •.NET • Hyperion Essbase • SQL Server • Oracle • middle-tier • Java app servers (mostly BEA WebLogic on Solaris • SharePoint architecture & adoption • SharePoint integration with Crystal Reports • From November 2004 to July 2005 (9 months) Senior Technical Lead @ As Senior Technical Lead on a large migration project—responsible for analysis, technical design and planning, technical implementation, and technical lead of the server, data, user and application moves and redeployments. Led a senior team of up to 20: Enmax, Accenture (outsourcing) and Telus (data centre). Design, planning and hands-on implementation of data/user migration between totally data centres, networks and security: AD, NetApp, and Exchange.
• 58 applications • 44 servers • Oracle & SQL Server • Windows, Sun/Solaris servers • BizTalk • Exchange • Citrix clustered SQL • many apps • security-hardened shared web services • From October 2003 to May 2004 (8 months) Senior Architect and Interim IT Manager @ As Senior Architect and Interim IT Manager developed and refined architecture, procedures and standards. Responsible for management of technical resources. Developed technology roadmaps. Brought on as an Architect; also took on the Manager role for several months.
• network • servers • desktop • apps • security • DR • Exchange •firewalls • NetApp storage • SMS • web • monitoring • change control • Linux • SCO • HPUX • AD • DNS • Exchange • SMTP • SQL Server • Agresso • backup • recovery • From November 2001 to May 2003 (1 year 7 months) Various @ H&R BLOCK As Infrastructure Designer designed & configured SQL Server clustering solution.
METROPHOTONICS As IT Systems Auditor audited various infrastructure & systems.
SPORTAL As Directory Solutions Architect affected re-design of LDAP (iPlanet) & AD.
ENTERO As Exchange Server Analyst audited Exchange and other email systems.
CFS As Technical Analyst, audited, analyzed and designed various systems.
XWAVE As Senior Consultant responsible for architecting, designing, and implementing systems for both clients and internal systems. Also responsible for mentoring technical personnel.
SPORTAL As LDAP Solutions Architect responsible for design & engineering of LDAP systems.
SERVICEINTELLIGENCE.COM As Email Systems Architect designed a multi-site Exchange & sendmail system.
AGRALINK As Technical Architect designed & configured e-commerce web platform.
TRANSCANADA INTERNATIONAL As Email Systems Architect audit and re-design of email systems (primarily Exchange).
TRANSCANADA As Email/LDAP Architect architecture & design of email & directory systems. Further designed and planned email/directory migration for 7500+ user system.
MINERVA TECHNOLOGY As Systems Analyst helped Minerva with 4th level consulting for various clients.
BANTREL As Technical Project Manager responsible for a Novell to Windows NT migration project. As Security Architect was responsible for security roadmap & policies.
NOVA GAS TRANSMISSION As Email Systems Architect and Project Lead developed design, implementation, & migration of legacy mainframe to Exchange email on 8000+ user systems.
NOVA GAS INTERNATIONAL As Infrastructure Architect and Technical Lead, architected, designed and planned the upgrade of a global infrastructure project, including email, AD, WAN, servers, and desktop.
MERAK PROJECTS As IT Manager, responsible for all aspects of IT systems & leading the growing technical team.
OTHERS Various IT Roles, dealing with increasing levels of technical and business challenges. From January 1988 to November 2001 (13 years 11 months)
f5 LTM, GTM and FirePass @ f5 Education From 2006 to 2007 Oracle Enterprise Manager: 10g Grid Control Ed. 2 @ Oracle Education From 2006 to 2006 Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 @ Microsoft Education From 2003 to 2003 Microsoft Exchange Server Core Technologies @ Microsoft Education From 1996 to 1996 Administering the Oracle Database 7 @ Oracle Education From 1995 to 1995 Supporting Windows NT Server 3.5 @ Microsoft Education From 1994 to 1994 Computer Science @ Grande Prairie Regional College From 1987 to 1988 Brad Arnst is skilled in: Solution Architecture, Enterprise Architecture, Integration, Virtualization, Security, Cloud Computing, Requirements Analysis, Technical Architecture, Infrastructure, Databases, Servers, SOA, EAI, Analytics, SaaS
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension