Thermal/FEA Simulation Engineer @ Robert Bosch Battery Systems, LLC
Thermal Engineer @ COBASYS, LLC
Senior Project Engineer, Hybrid Development Center @ General Motors
M.S., Aerospace Engineering @
Iowa State University
Versatile, accomplished structural / mechanical engineer with extensive experience in automotive, offshore and aerospace industries. Expertise in CAE and CFD applications with particular emphasis on hybrid, PHEV, EV, battery packs and Crashworthiness analysis of automotive structures. Highly organized with the ability to manage entire projects from inception to completion. Reputation for finding creative solutions to complex problems.
Versatile, accomplished structural / mechanical engineer with extensive experience in automotive, offshore and aerospace industries. Expertise in CAE and CFD applications with particular emphasis on hybrid, PHEV, EV, battery packs and Crashworthiness analysis of automotive structures. Highly organized with the ability to manage entire projects from inception to completion. Reputation for finding creative solutions to complex problems. A quick learner of new technologies who works well individually and as part of a team
Specialties: Application of ANSYS, STARCCM+, LS-DYNA, ABAQUS, NASTRAN..
Experience: Thermal Engineer, Product Development Engineer, Project Engineer, Design Release Engineer and R & D.
Thermal/FEA Engineer @ ANSYS CFX: Thermal Management of Battery Packs. Air and Liquid cooled. Transient and steady state. Thermal plate design for cooling and heating (patent pending). Have used Gap pads, Adhesives, Contact coefficients, orthotropic thermal conducitvity of cells etc.
ANSYS Mechanical: Linear and Nonlinear analysis of battery packs subjected to shock and vibration. From November 2012 to Present (3 years 2 months) Thermal Engineer @ Conjugate Heat Transfer Analysis for Thermal Management of Battery Packs for PHEV and Plug-In vehicles using ANSYS and CFX. From January 2011 to November 2012 (1 year 11 months) Senior Project Engineer, Hybrid Development Center @ Responsible for thermal performance of motors, pumps and electronic modules.
· Performed conjugate heat transfer analyses of electric motors, auxiliary pumps and electronic modules using CFD software STAR-CCM+ to ensure optimal performance.
· Integrated torque power inverter module into powertrain package using UG. From June 2004 to May 2009 (5 years) Design Release Engineer, Transmission Engineering @ Responsible for design, development and release of gears and shafts for new transmissions.
· Improved back-to-back testing and validation processing of gears for improved reliability. Granted achievement award for a presentation on the accomplishment.
· Developed a new methodology to predict fatigue life of shafts accurately. Given achievement award for a paper on block duty cycle fatigue testing. From 2000 to 2004 (4 years) Senior Project Engineer, Process Control and Logistics Group @ Responsible for designing racks for shipping metal stampings to stamping plants. Led turnkey operation from concept development, design, prototype, test, validation, production and on-time delivery of racks.
· Reduced design time by 75% by implementing Road-Lab-Math technique to design racks.
· Saved $5M by sourcing to smaller and more efficient suppliers in place of single sourcing. From 1994 to 2000 (6 years) Product Development Engineer, Vehicle Synthesis and Simulation Center @ Responsible for CAE analysis for static, linear and non-linear dynamics, thermal stress, crashworthiness of components, sub-systems and systems using NASTRAN, ABAQUS, ADAMS, DYNA3D and HYPERMESH.
· Implemented design modification to the cradle to eliminate engine intrusion into the passenger compartment.
· Eliminated potential failure of splitting of the cross-car beam due to frontal impact by improved welding specification
· Maximized design integrity by providing reinforcement requirements to B pillar to satisfy FMVSS guidelines for side intrusion.
· Revised the design and location of the fuel tank shape to stop fuel leakage during oblique impact. Won instant recognition award for the solution.
· Eliminated brake pulsation and minimized distortion by performing thermal stress analysis of the disk brake.
· Designed a five-link mechanism for deck lid opening that won an instant recognition award. From 1986 to 1994 (8 years) Structural Engineer, Research and Development Group @ Responsible for static and dynamic analyses of offshore oil drilling platforms.
· Performed static and nonlinear dynamic analyses of arctic offshore oil drilling platform subjected to forces due to drifting ice. Involved in the construction and successful deployment of the platform in Alaskan offshore From 1981 to 1986 (5 years) Research Engineer @ Responsible for analysis of fluid-structure interaction for floating structures.
Eliminated the danger of iceberg hitting offshore drilling platform by predicting iceberg drift subjected to wind, wave and current forces. From 1977 to 1981 (4 years) Flight Mechanics Engineer @ Responsible for trajectory prediction of satellite launch vehicles including a four-stage solid propellant rocket that launched a payload of 40 pounds into geo-synchronous orbit. From 1970 to 1974 (4 years)
Ph.D., Ocean Engineering @ Memorial University of Newfoundland From 1975 to 1981 M.S., Aerospace Engineering @ Iowa State University From 1974 to 1975 M. Tech, Engineering Mechanics @ Indian Institute of Technology, Madras From 1968 to 1970 B. Tech, Civil Engineering @ Indian Institute of Technology, Madras From 1965 to 1968 B. Sc., Physics @ University of Madras From 1962 to 1965 Babu Potti is skilled in: ANSYS, Matlab, Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Simulations, Automotive, Testing, CFD, CAE, FMEA, Product Development, Stress Analysis
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension