Software Architect and Engineering Team Lead @ EPAM Systems
I am a software architect specializing in designing and implementing software powering high traffic e-commerce websites. With a constant focus on immediate business goals but never losing sight of the strategic objectives I have delivered several performant and production proven software components. I am expert at constructing quickly responding and secure web applications as well as robust
I am a software architect specializing in designing and implementing software powering high traffic e-commerce websites. With a constant focus on immediate business goals but never losing sight of the strategic objectives I have delivered several performant and production proven software components. I am expert at constructing quickly responding and secure web applications as well as robust and scalable services that support them. During my career I have gained deep understanding of all stages of software delivery from concept to production and have actively tailored the development process to the size and skill level of the development team. I’m adept at leading groups of developers across different locations and contributing to organizational growth through helping to retain and mentor existing staff and recruiting new employees. I firmly believe that working software should be delivered continuously, with the help of extensive automation of testing, building and deployment.
Head of Software Architecture @ From November 2015 to Present (2 months) London, United KingdomPrincipal Software Architect @ • Principal technical architect for Camelot's platform powering the interactive channel of the UK National Lottery handling up to 10K transactions per minute.
• Building a strategic technical roadmap to develop new products and turn the existing platform solution into a product.
• Steering the platform release process towards continuous delivery, currently major releases are shipped every 4 weeks.
• Liaising with a team of architects to ensure that the design and implementation of the platform fits well with the wider enterprise and to coordinate the roll out of changes impacting other teams.
• Working with business stakeholders in assessing technical viability of ideas, estimating effort required for future enhancements and identifying areas where engineering effort can be saved or substituted with the purchase of third party products and services.
• Conducted a thorough review of the architectural design of Camelot's future interactive platform, simplified the designs for auditing and the physical deployment model to two data centers, the reduction in complexity required superficial compromises in functionality and enabled the 18 month long project to hit the code complete deadline.
• Designed and coordinated work for implementing a lightweight and flexible GitHub Flow based branching strategy that met release requirements and maximized parallel workstreams.
• Collected, identified and prioritized work for reducing the execution time of a large suite of automated tests written in Cucumber, Spock+Geb. Participated in the hands on work, the effort yielded an overall 30% decrease in test execution time all the while preserving test coverage and reducing the number of unreliable tests. From May 2013 to October 2015 (2 years 6 months) London, United KingdomPrincipal Software Engineer @ • Defined coding standards for a technologically diverse development team to increase consistency and quality of work.
• Devised a plan to modularize the core of an interactive lottery platform to help tackle increasing complexity and lay a strong foundation for the future.
• Created REST API design guidelines to ensure that the team delivered a cohesive and client friendly public interface for an international lottery platform.
• Educated team members through mentoring, pair programming and workshops to help translate theory into practice.
• Carried out code reviews to ensure architectural vision and coding standards are being followed.
• Conducted technical interviews to aid in the recruitment of talented professionals for an expanding team of experts.
• Took part in migrating a complicated Maven build to Gradle.
• Assumed steer over the technical debt backlog, enabled several technical improvements to be implemented that resulted in substantial reduction of code.
• Increased focus on security by educating both developers and business stakeholders, established a coherent security system covering the whole platform with especial focus on the front-end. From June 2012 to April 2013 (11 months) London, United KingdomSoftware Engineering Team Leader @ • Managed a team of 10-15 developers, conducting quarterly performance reviews, creating personal development plans and providing coaching as needed.
• Performed 3-5 technical interviews per week. From October 2010 to June 2012 (1 year 9 months) Software Architect @ • Provided architectural oversight as part of an architecture team of two for a large portion of applications powering hotels.com, including the website itself.
• Maintained conceptual integrity of architectural concerns across twelve development teams in three locations.
• Designed, documented and created frameworks/tools for addressing cross cutting concerns including third party connectivity management, messaging, caching, performance measurement, site theming, XSS and CSRF defense.
• Created a distributed and fault tolerant HTTP session store based on Apache Cassandra to facilitate session data sharing between different web applications.
• Devised a high level plan for tailoring the search results page of the website to give search results consistently under 2 seconds, coordinated and took part in the implementation that had to complete in a very short space of time. Eventually the project delivered a page that met the 2 second mark in more than 80% of the cases under production load.
• Authored a yearly training on web application security to raise developer awareness and ensure policies are being followed.
• Implemented a stateful rule based web application firewall to deter harmful robotic traffic by issuing CAPTCHA challenges. From March 2008 to June 2012 (4 years 4 months) HungaryLead Software Engineer @ • Undertook design and implementation of business critical enhancement projects to the hotels.com website.
• Documented established standards and development processes.
• Worked on-site in new locations to bring new developers joining the project up to speed.
• Delivered a large scale rewrite of the hotel details page on time and budget with a team consisting of new recruits only.
• Designed and implemented a framework that reformed configuration management and played a key role in enabling the hotels.com website to be consolidated under a few top level domains.
• Provided 3rd level 24/7 support for the hotels.com website, successfully resolved production incidents swiftly. From October 2007 to March 2008 (6 months) HungarySenior Software Engineer @ • Created a detailed development plan for porting the hotels.com web application from Resin to Tomcat, carried out the plan with a team of 5.
• Integrated the Spring framework and created a layer for mediating between legacy and newly created parts of the application that made it possible to gradually eliminate the technical debt.
• Optimized client side performance by improving the way content was delivered through Akamai CDN.
• Implemented a system for serving a complex web of 3 million unique SEO landing pages per point of sale. This required the rethinking of the existing persistence layer and introduction of application side caching to prevent the overload of the database servers. From April 2007 to September 2007 (6 months) Software Engineer @ • Implemented parts of the persistence layer with Hibernate ORM for a bet capture portal.
• Implemented business rules for calculating various bet winnings.
• Designed and coordinated the development of a functional testing framework on top of Selenium to enable automated smoke tests to be ran against a rich AJAX powered user interface. From August 2006 to March 2007 (8 months) Software Developer @ • Implemented enhancements and completely new screens for a Java Swing based rich client application performing direct airline ticket booking through a terminal interface to a host based system in a team of 15. From January 2005 to July 2006 (1 year 7 months) Hungary
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension