Development Lead - Sharepoint Content Management Server @ Microsoft
Development Lead - bCentral Online Services @ Microsoft
Principal Development Manager - Startup Business Group @ Microsoft
Master of Science @
University of Iowa
Accomplished Technology Leader with extensive experience in building and leading teams through full-cycle project management, strategic product development and marketing initiatives. Directed the development of numerous high-profile products for Microsoft, reaching millions of customers worldwide. Combines strong background in both business and technology for dynamic and innovative approaches toward business strategy and revenue growth. Holds a Master
Accomplished Technology Leader with extensive experience in building and leading teams through full-cycle project management, strategic product development and marketing initiatives. Directed the development of numerous high-profile products for Microsoft, reaching millions of customers worldwide. Combines strong background in both business and technology for dynamic and innovative approaches toward business strategy and revenue growth. Holds a Master of Business Administration in Finance & Strategic Management from the University of Pennsylvania. Fluent in English and Tamil.
VP of Engineering @ From April 2015 to Present (9 months) SingaporeHead of Engineering, Amazon Mobile Platform @ From May 2013 to April 2015 (2 years) Greater Seattle AreaSenior Engineering Manager, Amazon Mobile Business @ Lead product strategy, feature definition, and implementation, for mobile shopping applications worldwide. Manage engineering teams in multiple geographies for Amazon Mobile business, worldwide feature development and test automation that spans all mobile platforms. Build app experiences designed for mobile devices in the US, Canada, Europe, Japan, and China. From May 2012 to May 2013 (1 year 1 month) Greater Seattle AreaPrincipal Development Manager - Startup Business Group @ • Manage and lead teams in the development of products for Startup Business Group (SBG) with a focus on incubating new ideas and businesses for Microsoft; currently in the process of incubating a new business idea.
• Managed SBG Mobility team, focused on developing ideas and products related to various mobile platforms including iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Nokia S40 and Nokia S60 phones.
• Developed Microsoft OneApp platform and cloud infrastructure (http://www.microsoft.com/oneapp); supervised team in creating new software application enabling feature phones commonly found in emerging markets to access mobile apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Windows Live Messenger and other popular apps and games; project was successfully graduated to Bing mobile product team. From October 2009 to April 2012 (2 years 7 months) Principal Development Manager - Windows PowerShell @ • Supervised team of 28 software engineers in the development of Windows Powershell, the next generation administration framework for the Windows Operating System; increased Windows Server sales by 5-7% and improved customer satisfaction by 5%.
• Directed long-term planning and business strategy for Windows PowerShell, addressing issues including how to balance short-term investment in the product to enhance current revenue versus long-term investment in new products that will drive future revenue stream.
• Successfully marketed Windows PowerShell to Exchange Server Product (a billion dollar business), leading to Exchange’s full dependency on the product for their Exchange 12 release; presented technical details and worked with their product team members to identify and resolve roadblocks.
• Managed Windows PowerShell product release, delivering versions 1 and 2 on time and within budget.
• Promoted, demonstrated and sold product to executives through presentations, technical white papers, and marketing data sheets.
• Awarded Microsoft Gold Star for outstanding performance. From June 2004 to October 2009 (5 years 5 months) Development Lead - Sharepoint Content Management Server @ • • Managed 12 Software Engineers in designing and developing Content Management Server (CMS), utilized by Enterprise customers to manage large volumes of data in millions of documents; performed long-term planning and strategic development for product
• Served as key contributor for merging CMS with SharePoint portal server into one unified product, resulting in increased sales revenue and achieving clearer communication with customers, sales force, and marketing due to increased functionality.
• Grew product from $10 million to $80 million in revenue with the release of CMS 2002.
• Achieved millions of dollars in revenue through work with marketing department to promote CMS product to customers; high-profile adopters included webmd.com, Volvo.com and Nestle.com.
• Oversaw the release of three different versions of CMS, each release on time and within budget; led the demonstration of the technical details of the product. From September 2001 to June 2004 (2 years 10 months) Development Lead - bCentral Online Services @ • Managed five software engineers in the design and development of bCentral, an online portal for small business customers; built fully functional, efficient team from the ground up.
• Grew customer base from zero to multi-millions, with product serving as Microsoft’s initial application of the software service business model.
• Planned, developed and implemented four different online services for small business customers:
SharePoint.bcentral.com, an online collaboration portal
Sitemanager.bcentral.com, an online web site creation tool
Cart.bcentral.com, an online shopping cart system
Dnr.bcentral.com, domain name registration service
. From August 1999 to August 2001 (2 years 1 month) Software Design Engineer - Windows / Internet Explorer @ • Designed and developed features for Internet Explorer 4, Windows 98 Operating System and Internet Explorer 5. From February 1997 to August 1999 (2 years 7 months) Software Engineer @ • Developed initial list of features based on market analysis and customer feedback.
• Designed the overall architecture along with the other developers and features for the product.
• Taught programming in Windows to other development team members. From July 1994 to July 1995 (1 year 1 month)
Master in Business Administration, Finance & Strategic Management @ University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School From 2007 to 2009 Master of Science, Computer Science @ University of Iowa From 1995 to 1996 Bachelor of Engineering, Computer Science @ Anna University From 1990 to 1994 Arul Kumaravel is skilled in: Product Development, Strategic Planning, Business Strategy, Team Management, Software Project Management, Software Development, Team Leadership, New Business Development, Product Life Cycle Management, Marketing Strategy, Analysis, Business Analysis, Product Management, Business Planning, Team Building
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension