MBA, Masters of Business Administration @
MBA IMD Institute of Management Development Lausanne, Switzerland
I am an energetic, enthusiastic, direct and honest entrepreneur/manager, working well in a multicultural environment. Born and raised in the Netherlands, I now live in Switzerland enjoying a fantastic view on Lake Geneva. I am a composed team player who enjoys challenges and problem solving. My experience in industry and consulting has given me the ability to
I am an energetic, enthusiastic, direct and honest entrepreneur/manager, working well in a multicultural environment. Born and raised in the Netherlands, I now live in Switzerland enjoying a fantastic view on Lake Geneva. I am a composed team player who enjoys challenges and problem solving. My experience in industry and consulting has given me the ability to adapt quickly to new circumstances and the strong appetite for working in international environments.
My core professional goal: I aim to combine strong interpersonal and representational skills with thorough business understanding and creativity in leading organisational change. I strongly believe in the virtue of carefully managing personal and professional resources as a basis for success. To do this, I have founded W-focus.
My strengths: I have a strong track record developing actionable and measurable solutions in for-profit and non-profit organisations building on a deep understanding of inter-organisational dynamics and capabilities. I am an expert management trainer with 2500+ hours of client-facing training experience. I acquired this experience probably flying more than an airline pilot: I worked in more than 30 countries across Europe, the Americas, Southeast Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Prior to joining McKinsey, I worked for Shell International and two airlines.
My professional background: I worked for 8 years as a strategy consultant at McKinsey & Company in Geneva (last role: Associate Partner). During this time, I worked in a variety of sectors including pharmaceuticals, health care and medical devices, oil and gas/energy, leading non-governmental organisations, aviation.
My educational background: I hold a Master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering from Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands, an MBA from IMD, the top-ranking Institute of Management Development in Lausanne, Switzerland am a and a certified MBTI® Step II Myers Briggs Counsellor. I am fluent in four languages.
Co-owner @ Investor and manager of Coccinelle-Café, a bustling breakfast and lunch restaurant and meeting place in the centre of Lausanne, Switzerland. From April 2013 to Present (2 Jahre 9 Monate) Lausanne und Umgebung, SchweizCEO and owner (www.w-focus.com) @ Leadership of a boutique international consulting, training, coaching firm focusing on strategy design and implementation. Typical assignments:
• Strategic and financial for leading healthcare providers and private education companies focusing on reaching a significant reduction of non-client relevant expenditure, improved operational performance leading to improved EBITDA.
• Guidance and conceptual design of steps towards operational cooperation enacting a merger between €1b institutions.
• Accompanying strategic and operational revision of a world leading non governmental organisation.
• Setting up a competency development curriculum for an international professional services organisation, coaching members of the leadership team and provision of trainings.
• Developing and leading training programmes for a world-class globally operating professional service provider.
• Interim-management, conceptual strategic re-orientation of a 100 year-old Swiss foundation. From September 2011 to Present (4 Jahre 4 Monate) SchweizAssociate Partner @ Responsible for 25+ assignments, among which:
• Strategy development, detailed risk analysis and turn-around of 3 leading European hospital chains. Focus: reduction of duplicate procedures, set-up of an efficient procurement organization, establishment of clinical revenue management, concept and design of €200m+ building projects.
• Re-organisation of a top-3 medical device company away from a country-driven towards a product driven EMEA organization model: significant top-line improvement
• Conceptualisation and set-up of public regulatory and health insurance organizations in the Middle-East and sub-Saharan Africa working directly with the country leadership
• Implementation of national health insurance systems in Mediterranean, African countries; design and legal setup working directly with the President, Parliament, 3 ministries, physicians, unions
• Design, set-up of a global group procurement at a top 3 Pharma Group, saving 15% on global spend implementing novel category management approach, building people/system capabilities
• “LEAN” operational improvement, expansion strategy for a global air-cargo leader saving €80m in infrastructural measures and increasing productivity by 25%
• Evaluation and value-based negotiation of multiple fleet options resulting in the purchase of €150m+ worth of new aircraft for a European flag-carrier airline
• Drafting, syndication of a global strategic business plan to combat pandemic flu for a global NGO
• Economic revision of a 1,000 year old monastery, re-launching the 150+ year boarding school.
• 5% top-rating lead faculty on McKinsey&Company low-, mid- and advanced tenure training programs. (Program duration: one/two-weeks, 25-30 participants) From Dezember 2008 to September 2011 (2 Jahre 10 Monate) Engagement Manager @ Strategy, org redesign in healthcare, pharma & med devices and airlines:
•Develop Group Procurement strategy top-5 Pharmaco, category management, capability building
•Strategic re-focus leader Medical Device company, focus on capability building, sales, KAM, marketing
•Define global strategy to prevent, combat pandemic flu in leading NGO
•Concept, set-up of national health (insurance) systems in developing & industrialized countries, working directly with country leaders
•Design, implement of LEAN operations across industries
•Lead 1000y/old monastery through economic, financial rationalisation; defining new strategic plan for famous boarding school
•Recommend strategic fleet options, lead negotiation process purchase of new aircraft for flag-carrier airline
•Define operational improvement plan, expansion strategy for global air-cargo leader applying LEAN
•Lead faculty on key training programs. Intensive one-week training program with 30 participants. Class rating Firm top 5% From Juni 2006 to Dezember 2008 (2 Jahre 7 Monate) Associate (senior) consultant @ Prominent assignments include:
•Defining and implementing a key account management approach, executing financial restructuring and business improvement projects at Fortune 500 multinationals. From 2004 to 2006 (2 Jahre) Management Consultant @ Shell International Management Consultancy - Skill pool leader Economic & Financial Modelling, Management Consultancy.
Generated $2m annual consultancy fees. Accountabilities included leading and training a team of 5 global management consultants. Worked with clients around the world on business improvement, scenario analysis (oil industry/general strategy related) or group reporting.
Extensive experience in working with clients from very diverse backgrounds, often in challenging business environments such as Nigeria, China, Gabon, Sakhalin (Russia), Oman, Saudi-Arabia, the Philippines, Venezuela. Excellent business-development skill, customer focus in business-to-business relationships.
Guided the financial integration of acquired company enabling the transition and consolidation of acquisition into the companys economic structure.
Contributed to the development of strategic positioning of subsidiaries, which reinforced negotiation position with external stakeholders. From Januar 2001 to Januar 2004 (3 Jahre 1 Monat) Economics Advisor Exploration and Production-Shell Unconventional Resources @ Shell International Houston / The Hague - Economics Advisor Exploration and Production-Shell Unconventional Resources (±80% FTE)
Managed the development and implementation of an integrated project assessment structure linked to the Group financial/economic standard for a Shell new venture company focusing on the development of unconventional sources of energy.
Successfully managed working relationships in cross-functional teams operating from three different locations in the US and The Netherlands ensuring transfer of knowledge between different disciplines. Managed the hand-over of responsibilities to newly recruited staff. From Juni 2001 to November 2002 (1 Jahr 6 Monate) Business Consultant @ Shell Services International, The Hague, Management Consultant
Provided internal consulting within the Shell-group, working in a small, high-calibre team of consultants, focusing on strategy, economic evaluation, and corporate compliance programs. From Mai 1999 to Januar 2000 (9 Monate) Management Advisor @ Imtech Maintenance - Internatio-Müller N.V
Reported to the executive board of a Pan-European company specialising in HVAC equipment. Conducted an internal and external customer satisfaction survey and ABC-analysis to re-orient the company on key customer-groups, establishing a clearer link between back-office and front- office functions through better revenue management.
The implementation of the suggested changes led to improved customer and employee satisfaction and to a significant improvement of the (financial) results. From August 1998 to Februar 1999 (7 Monate) Management Advisor @ Garuda Indonesian Airlines, Jakarta
Advised on ways to improve fleet performance and to shorten turn around times of heavy and line maintenance. The project resulted in a major re-design of the organisation of Garuda Maintenance Facilities and improved strategic decisions with regard to outsourcing or in-house aircraft maintenance and fleet development. From September 1997 to Dezember 1997 (4 Monate) Research Student @ Shell Exploration and Production, Aberdeen
Developed a seismologic evaluation method to improve the accuracy of field-research aiming to differentiate gas and oil before drilling. From Juni 1997 to August 1997 (3 Monate)
MBA, Business Administration & Leadership @ IMD (International Institute for Management Development) - Business Programs From 2003 to 2004 MBA, Masters of Business Administration @ MBA IMD Institute of Management Development Lausanne, Switzerland From 2003 to 2003 MSC, Aerospace Engineering / Maintenance Engineering @ Msc in Aerospace Engineering University of Technology Delft From 1993 to 1999 VWO, with Hons @ Katholiek Gelders Lyceum (KGL) From 1987 to 1993 Stoeteboom From 1981 to 1987 Arjen Iwema is skilled in: Fluent German, Fluent French, Fluent Dutch, Strategic Planning, Operational Excellence, Financial Analysis, Management Consulting, Change Management, Business Transformation, Entrepreneurship, Strategy Development, Business Strategy, Supply Chain Management, Performance Improvement, Business Planning
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension