Sr. Project Engineer @ Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utility Department
Project Engineer II @ Calvert County Government - Water and Sewerage Division
Senior Project Manager @ Shield Engineering, Inc.
A registered professional engineer with over 12 years of experience as a design engineer and project manager. Experience includes project management, contract management, capital improvement planning, distribution system collection and distribution design, hydraulic modeling, and water system troubleshooting. Nominated for the City Managers Reward for working with the Sanitary Sewer and Leak Reduction team. Currently leads Nonrevenue
A registered professional engineer with over 12 years of experience as a design engineer and project manager. Experience includes project management, contract management, capital improvement planning, distribution system collection and distribution design, hydraulic modeling, and water system troubleshooting. Nominated for the City Managers Reward for working with the Sanitary Sewer and Leak Reduction team. Currently leads Nonrevenue Water Team and Pressure Management team.
- Capital Project Management
- Infrastructure planning and design.
- Water distribution and sewer collection system modeling.
- Water System Troubleshooting (Pressure Management and Leak Detection)
- Gravity, force main and alternative sewer collection system design.
Sr. Project Engineer @ - Manage the water distribution system model consisting of over 4,200 miles of pipeline in three pressure zones.
- Develop an active model maintenance program that includes model calibration and validation, and periodic update of the pipe network and system demand allocation to reflect the systems growth.
- Analyze the water distribution system’s needs and develop scope and cost of capital projects.
- Respond to customer complaints or inquiries.
- Troubleshoot system-wide capacity and pressure issues by performing and analyzing hydrant capacity tests, unidirectional flow tests and pressure monitoring.
- Analyze impact of proposed maintenance and construction activities on the distribution system and provide project sequence and scope recommendations to project managers.
- Manage the non-revenue water team, which is developing a comprehensive water audit and loss mitigation program to be implemented utility wide.
- Lead the pressure management team for the water distribution system optimization project as modeled after the Partnership for Safe Water and Water Research Foundation programs.
- Prepare regulatory reports for the state including the Inter-Basin Transfer and the Local Water Supply Plan.
- Developed continuing education training for a citywide training day. From March 2012 to Present (3 years 10 months) Charlotte, North Carolina AreaProject Engineer II @ - Coordinate and direct the planning, design, and construction of water and sewer capital projects. Prepare the capital plan and budget to present to the county commissioners.
- Submit funding applications for state grants and loans.
- Typical projects include water source development, elevated storage tanks, wastewater treatment plants, pump stations, master plans, infrastructure evaluations and water system modeling.
Develop overall project plans including the scope of work, requests for proposals, and bid documents. Select consultants, negotiate contracts and supervise contracted services.
- Conduct pre-bid and pre-construction conferences, and design and construction progress meetings.
- Perform construction field inspections, water and wastewater plan reviews, resolve conflicts and act as the county’s technical representative.
- Approve purchase orders, and progress payments for capital improvement projects.
- Review and approve building and construction permits, public work agreements, coordinate inspections and assess permit fees.
- Write sections of the Water and Sewer Comprehensive Plan. Participate in planning for the county’s Watershed Implementation Plan and various methods of reducing nitrogen and phosphorus loadings into the Chesapeake Bay’s watershed. From April 2010 to March 2012 (2 years) Senior Project Manager @ - Designed, managed, planned, and/or coordinated all aspects of land development projects including commercial and residential developments, roadway design, culvert designs, sewer outfall design, alternative sewer collection systems, water distribution system modeling, flood studies and other various infrastructure improvement projects.
- Planned, designed and produced construction documents for a commercial outparcel in Rock Hill, SC. Design included off-site water and sewer extensions, grading, erosion control, landscape, lighting and layout.
- Designed, managed, planned, and coordinated all aspects of an 11-mile vacuum sewer collection systems including line layout and planning, vacuum station and pump specifications and design, and vacuum station lift station that served a 1,000-acre development in Chowan County, NC.
- Inspected and evaluated dams and spillways and prepared spillway remediation plans.
- Performed due diligence for FEMA Letter of Map Amendment for a flood prone neighborhood in Charlotte, NC. Due diligence included researching floodplain delineation and developing a preliminary hydraulic model to evaluate the FEMA delineated floodplain.
- Prepared proposals, request for qualifications and cost estimates for prospective clients. Met with prospective clients to determine appropriate scope of services and negotiated proposals and managed clients once a proposal was executed.
- Developed and implemented design and drafting software and standards; trained employees on the use of design and drafting software and standards.
- Developed marketing materials, attended professional association meetings to broaden design group-s market. From August 2007 to February 2009 (1 year 7 months) Lead Engineer @ - Prepared proposals and construction documents, preliminary plats, and as-built drawings. Projects ranged from large residential subdivisions to a substation designs for Georgia Power.
- Performed project due diligence, site layout, roadway design, erosion control design, master planning, and earthwork analysis; prominent projects include 7-acre commercial office complex, 1,000-acre mixed use development and 60-acre high-end residential subdivision.
- Design sanitary sewer lift stations and force mains; designs included pump sizing, head calculations, determining the flow rate and the system curve, pump run time and storage volumes.
- Design and analysis of water distribution systems; including the analysis of effects of waterline extensions on the existing system, flow and pressure analysis, and system modeling.
- Design of storm sewer systems, outlet protection, storm water management facilities, and other infrastructure associated with residential and commercial developments.
- Performed hydrology studies, flood studies, hydraulic design and analysis, water quality design and FEMA flood map studies. Each project required a hydrology study and a comprehensive storm water management system design; the largest basin mapped was approximately 19.1 mi2.
- Performed planning study for a 1,000-acre mixed-use subdivision in Dawson County, GA. The planning study included delineation of watershed, forecasting the future population and development based on future land use maps upstream of the development for floodplain mapping and water main and sewer outfall sizing and alignment. The flood mapping included approximately 5 miles of three different creeks that run throughout the project area.
- Design roadway plans for local and state roadways to include roadway widening, vertical and horizontal curve alignment, roadway grading, and super-elevated roads. From January 2004 to August 2007 (3 years 8 months) Project Engineer @ - Designed roads, grading, site layout, erosion control, utilities and storm drain systems, and performed hydrology calculations. Projects included roadway, grading, drainage, and utility design for a municipal complex, 40-acre subdivision, and residential subdivisions in the Atlanta metropolitan area.
- Designed storm water conveyance systems for a 40-acre multi-family subdivision in Conyers, GA. From December 2002 to November 2003 (1 year) Project Engineer @ - Designed on-site detention for commercial and residential developers.
- Designed water distribution systems; coordinated all water resource projects; developed construction documents; generated municipal water maps; and met regularly with clients, government officials, and contractors on various projects. From January 2002 to November 2003 (1 year 11 months) Engineering Intern @ - Worked in Amman, Jordan, with a team of architects, engineers, and surveyors to design a five-building conference center.
- Coordinated design report between all team members; the report was utilized for fundraising and preliminary infrastructure design.
- Worked in Guatemala performing material and cost estimates for a building expansion at an orphanage in Zacapa.
- Designed water/wastewater system; generated as-built plans of existing day camp facilities. From May 2001 to December 2001 (8 months)
BSE, Land and Water Resources @ Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University From 1996 to 2001 Allen D. Brunson, PE is skilled in: Floodplain Management, Drainage, Erosion Control, Hydrology, Land Development, Sewer, Stormwater Management, Water, Water Quality, Water Resources
Looking for a different
Allen D. Brunson, PE?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension