Senior Executive with career record of success in leading and advising public and private companies through highly complex M&A, startup, turnaround, rapid growth, business transformation, and global expansion. Partner and trusted advisor to the entire executive leadership team in defining and executing corporate strategic plans that tie together financial criteria and business objectives across disciplines including Operations,
Senior Executive with career record of success in leading and advising public and private companies through highly complex M&A, startup, turnaround, rapid growth, business transformation, and global expansion. Partner and trusted advisor to the entire executive leadership team in defining and executing corporate strategic plans that tie together financial criteria and business objectives across disciplines including Operations, Human Resources, IT, Legal, Marketing, and Business Development. Segment experience includes insurance/risk management, retail and manufacturing. Key contributor to the strategic direction of the organization through effective management of financial planning, performance measurement, cost control, and financial analysis. Straightforward leader who achieves objectives through transparent communication with internal and external stakeholders. Builds and maintains strong relationships with bankers, investors, and boards of directors.
• Chief Financial Officer for the world’s largest privately held insurance broker (12 years).
• Chief Accounting Officer for the world’s largest Pizza Hut franchisee, a NASDQ-listed company (4 years).
• Certified Public Accountant with PricewaterhouseCoopers (8 years).
• Contributor to completion of approximately 15 mergers, acquisitions and divestitures in 16 years.
• Key role in sale of highly profitable startup division to DST for $190 million.
• Successfully refinanced company’s senior debt facilities, despite economic downturn; drove business growth and achieved buy-out of private equity partner.
• Instrumental in company’s 1st international acquisition, a London-based broker, in a $170 million transaction.
• Led cross-functional team of Human Resources Director, Chief Information Officer, and external consulting firm in on-time, on-budget PeopleSoft implementation; achieved 100% cost recovery ahead of projection.
Chief Financial Officer @ -KPB Foods is the third largest YUM! franchisee, operating 194 KFC branded restaurants in nine states throughout the mid-west and south-east.
-In 2012 KBP was named one of the 10 Fastest-Growing Restaurant Chains and one of the Top 100 Fastest-Growing Business in North America by Chain Store Guide’s Database of Chain Restaurant Operators.
- The Executive Team at KBP is filled with veterans of the Quick Serve Restaurant business with 20+ years of experience from Arby’s, Boston Market, Applebee’s, Panera’s among others.
- The Company has grown from 5 units in 1999 to the 194 operated today largely through acquisition, and has been successful in attracting growth capital through a disciplined operating system that has time and again demonstrated an ability to improve efficiency and profitability post acquisition. From 2013 to Present (2 years) Chief Financial Officer @ • Led turnaround/reorganization of Accounting & Finance; built the team and revamped Financial Reporting, Payroll, and Treasury.
• Created “Central Services Function” with direct reports including Corporate Controller, SVP - Human Resources SVP, and CIO.
• Completed sale of lock\line Division, a highly profitable internal startup providing cell phone handset replacement insurance; worked with outside legal advisors and firm’s General Counsel to complete $190 million transaction.
• Collaborated with Corporate Controller, CIO, and consultants to implement PeopleSoft ; launched on-time/on-budget; achieved 100% cost recovery ahead of schedule.
• Led team of representatives from legal, tax, accounting, and HR to form an Illinois Series Limited Liability Company that addressed key issues with independent producers including non-compete agreements, changes in tax law, and end-of-career incentives together with General Counsel; successfully negotiated agreements with producers’ advisory group.
• Key member of international acquisition team that successfully purchased Alexander Forbes International Risk Services, a London based broker; solidified relationships with global clients and protected multimillion-dollar revenue stream.
• Relocated to London to assist in merger integration of operations, people, and financial systems contributing to turn around of an underperforming organization that now delivers double-digit annual growth.
• Refinanced 3rd-party debt, and obtained additional private equity capital for international acquisition operations.
• Nominated “CFO of the Year” by the Kansas City Business Journal in 2008.
• Refinanced Lockton’s senior debt facilities, positioning firm for growth and buy-out of international venture’s private equity partner. Leveraged banking relationships to secure placements.
• Member of transaction team with General Counsel and outside advisors in buy-out of 100% of international acquisition’s minority private equity shareholder. From 1999 to 2012 (13 years) VP Restaurant Services / Chief Accounting Officer / Assistant Secretary @ • Joined company as Corporate Controller and Chief Accounting Officer; key partner to President and CFO in leading turnaround of finance function. Hired/trained team; improved reporting, processes, financial analysis, and data management.
• Worked with CFO on transaction to sell the Skipper’s Seafood operation; strengthened liquidity and operations.
• Instrumental member of acquisition/ integration team led by the CFO in acquisition of 91 Pizza Hut locations in 1997.
• Reduced annual state tax burden by $1 million, decreasing the company’s effective tax rate from 39% to 36%.
• Assisted CFO in refinancing of the Company’s $160 million debt facility.
• Promoted to VP Restaurant Services in 1998; directed operations in Pittsburg Kansas, overseeing 125-person office. Key role in acquisition of 482 Pizza Hut units in several transactions bringing the total units operated to 782.
• Member of deal team that completed divesture of the Tony Roma’s Famous for Ribs franchise to a private equity investor in a transaction valued at $100+ million, as well as acquisition of 99 additional Pizza Hut units.
• Implemented new financial planning platform for FY2000 budget and planning cycle. From 1995 to 1999 (4 years) Audit Manager / Senior Accountant / Staff Accountant @ • Managed audit engagements for private and public companies in diverse industries including retail, manufacturing, and insurance-related risk pools.
• Selected to instruct regional and national technical training programs.
• Led Kansas City college recruiting at 4 area universities, with direct leadership of the University of Kansas program. From 1987 to 1995 (8 years)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Accounting and Businss Administration @ University of Kansas Alan Salts is skilled in: Senior Executive Leadership, Capital Structure Management, Global Management, Mergers, Acquisitions, Divestitures, Acquisition Integration, Banking Relationships, Investor Relations, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Debt Restructuring, Negotiation, Private Equity Funding, Financial Reporting, Operating Systems
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension